Hornby 2022 Range - pre-announcement frothing - now closed

Bendax88

4 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Only a few years go, I thought that lashing out a hundred quid on a model locomotive was impossibly insane.  Nowadays?

Hey! Slightly OT, but I just splashed out for my first £100+ fill of diesel.  This time last year I thought that was impossibly insane too...

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, DutyDruid said:

Hey! Slightly OT, but I just splashed out for my first £100+ fill of diesel.  This time last year I thought that was impossibly insane too...

I think we may soon need an "ouch" button on here!

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, Standards_in_OO said:

This must be why the Blue and early BR Flying Scotsman have appeared in recent years otherwise surely they would just release it in post 1963 condition or how it is in the present day. 

I hadn’t really thought about the licensing aspect before besides Harry Potter and Thomas etc but I imagine provides a big stumbling block from producing more models of other locos in preservation. 

It is common practice, these days, for organisations to claim the intellectual rights to items they have acquired and then to licence others who wish to make money off the back of that item. Flying Scotsman is one of the most high profile items - certainly the most high profile in the hands of the NRM. Where current rail equipment is concerned there may be multiple licences involved, for instance, say, with a locomotive made by GM  carrying a livery which also requires copyright permission. Such payments can impact on the  selling price of the finished model. (CJL)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

I’m not sure what R7304 actually is. The trade price indicates that £21.99 is a correct price. Certainly available to preorder from various retailers for around £5-£8. Is that the biggest price reduction for a yet to be released item? 

It's been on the Hornby website all year until just a few days ago at £4.99. Surely they knew the trade price?

• Like 1

I remember just a few years ago buying two loco driven Railroad Hornby 9F's for around £50 each from Hattons. They still run OK though one has "sticky" wheels on it's mazak framed tender chassis, on my to do list for fettlement. My first Hornby 9F was bought in a model shop behind Princess St in Edinburgh in the early 70's. She still runs superbly, can't remember the cost though, under a tenner.

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/br-9f-class-2-10-0-92220-evening-star-era-5-r3988

£252.99 -- An absolute bargain IF the tender wheels run free, easy & true !!!!!!!!!!!!  default_good.gif.0b0b6eec321430f1a58342f71e1488d8.gif

Brit15

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, DutyDruid said:

Just to prove it...

And yes, if @AY Mod can fix it an "ouch" button and a "groan" button would be really useful

20211221_143042.jpg

The price of my fill ups in pounds and pence is usually close to that litre read-out!

There was me thinking it would be nice to have a slightly bigger tank....

John

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, dibber25 said:

It is common practice, these days, for organisations to claim the intellectual rights to items they have acquired and then to licence others who wish to make money off the back of that item. Flying Scotsman is one of the most high profile items - certainly the most high profile in the hands of the NRM. Where current rail equipment is concerned there may be multiple licences involved, for instance, say, with a locomotive made by GM  carrying a livery which also requires copyright permission. Such payments can impact on the  selling price of the finished model. (CJL)

Ironic isn’t it. I wonder how much of 4472’s modern day profile eminates from the 1960s, 70’s and 80s products of Trix, Triang and Hornby?

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

I remember just a few years ago buying two loco driven Railroad Hornby 9F's for around £50 each from Hattons. They still run OK though one has "sticky" wheels on it's mazak framed tender chassis, on my to do list for fettlement. My first Hornby 9F was bought in a model shop behind Princess St in Edinburgh in the early 70's. She still runs superbly, can't remember the cost though, under a tenner.

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/br-9f-class-2-10-0-92220-evening-star-era-5-r3988

£252.99 -- An absolute bargain IF the tender wheels run free, easy & true !!!!!!!!!!!!  default_good.gif.0b0b6eec321430f1a58342f71e1488d8.gif

Brit15

I've had Evening Star and two other Bachmann 9Fs since they were the latest RTR wonderloco. I think all three cost less than the RRP of a new Hornby one between them...

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

I've had Evening Star and two other Bachmann 9Fs since they were the latest RTR wonderloco. I think all three cost less than the RRP of a new Hornby one between them...

John

It's certainly making me think about Leicester City/Central Star from the Bachmann Collector's club if it's going to be £250+ for a Hornby one. I flirted with the Locomotion Evening Star but then when Hornby announced theirs thought it would be a good one to get, but 2007 ultimately got my preserved steam pre order.

Whilst I am definitely one to complain about prices, in the case of 2007 I am just glad it is going to exist in real life and that someone is making what should be a good model of it. It's more a thing of love whereas my Azumas will be figuratively (and literally) white goods on the layout (but essential in my eyes nonetheless).

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TomScrut said:

Well, you're filling up with diesel ultimate.... or at least I hope you are.

Volvo XC60.  I do a lot of towing for a summer job and I reckon I get a good 10% better mpg with Ultimate, plus the burn is a lot hotter so I don't get any DPF problems.  At one point the boss would only allow me to fill up with his fuel card at a supermarket (no high grade diesel) and got very annoyed when I screwed his budgeting because my actual expenses for known jobs went up rather than down. :laugh:

Dragging it back on topic, I know of one club who ask for fuel receipts for their exhibition and if offered a receipt for high grade fuel refuse to pay it.  Their treasurer got really upset with me when I said if they wanted to do it that way I would run my tank to nearly empty and then fill up with cheap fuel and that the expenses bill would go up by x-amount.  Fortunately the EMS read out in the XC is good enough to allow me to provide reliable data to back the claim up.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

John

Very likely, however that would have been at least sixteen years ago, 2006 being the first IIRC Bachmann ES. That tooling version is what now costs £200+ from Bachmann today. Having said that I’m not knocking it, the Bachmann 9F is an excellent, well engineered and reliable model, but it is an early noughties model you’re buying today. If Hornby’s new 2022 tooling is sub £300 for a vanilla DCC ready version, and is to the fidelity of things like their K1/Clan/Britannia’s, it’ll be reasonable value for today’s market.

Edited by PMP
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, DutyDruid said:

I reckon I get a good 10% better mpg with Ultimate

I have found it depends on the car, but of late it's mostly because it's recommended by the manufacturer for the (petrol) cars I have had.

I wonder how a 37 would run on ultimate? Would it be mega thrash or cleaner than usual?

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

As soon as the name (which is a trademark) is used, irrespective of age or variation, a percentage will be payable if a licence is granted. And on more tat than you can shake a stick at...

Does that mean that everytime someone on here mentions F..... S....... you have to hand over some of your beer money?:jester:

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Ironic isn’t it. I wonder how much of 4472’s modern day profile eminates from the 1960s, 70’s and 80s products of Trix, Triang and Hornby?

And the much filmed exploits of Alan Pegler, which were frequently on TV.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

You're looking at full RRP though.

Yep, because the poster I was replying to was moaning about the Hornby RRP on their 9F (R3988) being £253.

Only fair to compare current RRP to current RRP given current price changes.

2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

You can get a new Bachmann 9F for less than £150 if you know where to look. 

Probably - but the price I gave from the Bachmann website of £205 has an availability listed as March/April, which presumably means that price is the new price that reflects the economic changes of the last 6 to 12 months, as does the increased Hornby price.

Or, to put it another way, if one wants a Bachmann 9F one may want to consider buying soon from the existing stock in retail channels rather than waiting for the new more expensive stock to arrive.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, Hroth said:

Not even a heavily pixellated one?   :(

Cheltenham Model Centre has a fairly pixellated one on their website, it looks like a...  They may have made it up, just to tease people!

I've pixellated it some more*

HornPix22.jpg.6c7e654de80d0a37a9b55d8380ed6b75.jpg

Its advertised at 11 quid btw.

* I think at this point it could be anything, going in the wrong direction and the principle of propulsion may be moot too! :crazy:

At last Somebody found it! It took many seconds in photoshop hours of negotiation with Hornby to get an exclusive first image….

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Only a few years go, I thought that lashing out a hundred quid on a model locomotive was impossibly insane.  Nowadays?

Well I'm buying far less!

I used to think paying a few hundred notes was getting into 'O Gauge' !!

How things change ...

Al.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Cheltenham Model Centre said:

At last Somebody found it! It took many seconds in photoshop hours of negotiation with Hornby to get an exclusive first image….

I found it the other day, but didn't want to get anyone into trouble if it was real. We all know what they can be like with their "tier system"....  ;)

But I do reckon a Saint must be on the horizon from somewhere. It's one of the last of the big named classes available, long lived and Hornby did have one in their catalogue at one point (even though it was pants!).

Jason

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

But I do reckon a Saint must be on the horizon from somewhere. It's one of the last of the big named classes available, long lived and Hornby did have one in their catalogue at one point

I have to agree. Especially with 2999 completed now. It has to be the perfect time. It’s clear Hornby are going to new heights with detail, given that they are tooling up 3 variations of the new P2, so here’s hoping that a new Saint release could also reflect any difference between 2999 and the rest. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

Now that Hornby have relinquished the rights to the Thomas range, I don't think there would be anything to stop Bachmann selling the Skarloey locos in TR guise.

Except the agreement with the current licence holder that expressly forbids Bachmann from using the TTTE tooling for any non TTTE models.  This argument about TR versions was made several times when they first came out but however much us 009 modellers would like that, the reality is it is not going to happen.

Back to Hornby.  I have no idea what is coming in 5 days time, but I hope it's a successful year for them.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

10 hours ago, APOLLO said:

Brit15

I'm betting that sticky-wheels is an R2880?  I've got one of those, the mazak ex-tender drive chassis has swollen to the extent that it won't come out of the tender body and it's a race between the plastic cracking and the mazak turning to dust.

The loco itself is a good runner and tows the "locked brakes" tender around like a champ!  Of course, it's on the to-do list....

The only thing is that it won't be replaced by a new one at current prices!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I'm betting that sticky-wheels is an R2880?  I've got one of those, the mazak ex-tender drive chassis has swollen to the extent that it won't come out of the tender body and it's a race between the plastic cracking and the mazak turning to dust.

The loco itself is a good runner and tows the "locked brakes" tender around like a champ!  Of course, it's on the to-do list....

Yes - I've got a locked solid tender on R2880. Got a Bachmann replacement tender from Warley a few years ago for £10, just waiting for a respray as its black lined and weathered . On the 'to do' list along with detailing the loco :)

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Get the casting for/from the unpowered bogie of a Class 37 (Tri-ang type, not ex-Lima) before your tender splits. 

Goes straight in where the deactivated ringfield block comes out. If you get there in time....

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3