Hornby 2022 Range - pre-announcement frothing - now closed

Bendax88

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Mr chapman said:

I'll have a guess at the badger in gner livery for the front cover. 

Given Hornby's love of having a go with new technology to try and entice younger modellers I will go with new Hornby augmented reality glasses. Look at Hornby brand platforms and buildings and you can see people moving. Cars driving around, that sort of thing. 

Wasnt Simon Kohler looking at something like that in the James May narrated TV program a few years ago?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Hornby's Southern preferences favour SR and LSWR prototypes, as do mine.

Bachmann's favour LBSCR and SECR prototypes.

I therefore "encourage" Hornby quite vigorously where SR locos are concerned, Bachmann less so, but they make more BR standards, so it probably evens out. :)

Do you mean an LSWR T3 or the NER sort? BTW, LNER Pacifics don't even get noticed here.:jester:

John

I was thinking a Southern T3 as Phil is good enough to list his wish list as per his signature. So while Phil is wanting stuff from SECR or LBSCR will be want something LSWR but thus buy it to 'encourage' more Southern engines, as per his thinking. I think not and thus illustrate the point I have been making to him for years. 

However, if he did want to get an education and get an NER T3 then his worries about hauling long goods trains up gradients would all be over! 

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

Hornby's Southern preferences favour SR and LSWR prototypes, as do mine.

Bachmann's favour LBSCR and SECR prototypes.

I might have expected that to be the other way around - Margate is well inside SECR territory!

• Agree 1

I see the Class 89 has been brought up...

I certainly wouldn't rule it out, it would match well with the range of late 80s/early 90s ECML stuff Hornby have built up (buffered HST, Class 91) and it would perhaps explain why the Accurascale one doesn't seem to have gone anywhere. It also has that legendary one-off status that Hornby seem so attracted to as of late.

Hmmm

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

I might have expected that to be the other way around - Margate is well inside SECR territory!

Never has been, though.

Before Hornby did the H Class tank, the previous prototype with a SECR pedigree covered (though actually built post-grouping) was the Tri-ang L1.

John

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

Clearly still missing the point though. Why should you buy an engine that you don't want even if its within your own grouping region? Surely that just encourages Hornby to go and pursue similar engines from the same area, which would be a fallacy on the part of Hornby and rather than lead to better sales and profitability it would increase risk. 

My posts previously were that North Eastern stuff was wanted and there were many ways of showing that, whether that be polls, gaps in the range and market and the plethora of stock available to model the grouping and BR standards needed in the popular BR transition period. Why would I then go and buy a GC loco which never ever managed to poll as highly as North Eastern or Great Eastern choices as it was these two latter areas that dominated the data. Look at the locomotive selections for my home area interest across the range as mentioned before, the Q6, K1, J27, J72 and G5 are all done or in progress. That leaves B16, and J21/25...  

Strong sales of engines that are wanted, with demand ready are the choices that Hornby and others need to be doing. Hence North Eastern selections being chosen. Yes the future is in 'our' hands but only if the companies make stock that is actually wanted. Then once these are done, choices in every region start to get more and more niche so that finally whats left will match the demand and popularity of some areas that are yet to be modelled. That's when other areas will get a chance at something, for which I do feel for some yearning for their more niche interests. Yet, there needs to be a balance between demand, nice and profitability and that's where some choices fail to be selected, but we then cant risk Hornby or others being around at all merely because we would like them to make a model and risk their profitability or sustainability. 

So, with all that in mind, are you still getting that T3, if Hornby choose to make that? That's your choice. The future is in "your" hands. 

Good luck to the Southern Modellers (and to the rest). 

Why such a downer on the GCR? It's probably the most popular of the LNER grouped companies apart from maybe the GNR. 

GCR locomotives got almost everywhere of note, London, East Midlands, East Anglia, Yorkshire, Manchester, Liverpool, Scotland in the case of the D11s, had joint lines with the GWR and even made it to North Wales. 

Bachmann have probably sold more O4s than all the RTR NER models combined with the exception of the J72. Then you've got the J11 and D11s. Also got an A5 coming from Sonic. Even the interestingly named B17s were GCR based ones.

A bit daft saying they don't poll highly considering all the major classes are already available. It's only the 0-6-2Ts and 4-4-2Ts that really need doing. Maybe the D10s and J10s as well. 

Oh and some Barnums would be nice.

Jason

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, nathan70000 said:

I see the Class 89 has been brought up...

It does look that way, but actually it was built in a factory, just like any other loco.

Edited by Flying Pig
repetitition
  • Like 1
  • Funny 13

34 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Why such a downer on the GCR? It's probably the most popular of the LNER grouped companies apart from maybe the GNR. 

GCR locomotives got almost everywhere of note, London, East Midlands, East Anglia, Yorkshire, Manchester, Liverpool, Scotland in the case of the D11s, had joint lines with the GWR and even made it to North Wales. 

Bachmann have probably sold more O4s than all the RTR NER models combined with the exception of the J72. Then you've got the J11 and D11s. Also got an A5 coming from Sonic. Even the interestingly named B17s were GCR based ones.

A bit daft saying they don't poll highly considering all the major classes are already available. It's only the 0-6-2Ts and 4-4-2Ts that really need doing. Maybe the D10s and J10s as well. 

Jason

I appreciate the logic but its not the case. When the wishlist poll that was done a few years ago was published I looked into the figures as the poll team would just list each item in terms of how many they got in comparison with each other. In the end that gave you a running order in an almost first past the post system. The more votes you got the higher you would be in the top 50. 

To try and find out more using the raw data that they published I worked on a system that would treat all companies fairly. I would take the top 10 most popular votes of engines, per pre-grouping or grouping company for comparison - to then find the most popular areas and choices, hoping to see if engines I would have liked to have seen made then be popular enough compared to others that were. In this NE and GE came out massively more popular than GC or GN. I did the same for pre-grouping companies elsewhere just to check on those areas for more comparrison. NE and GE managed to poll about as popular or more so than some areas of the Southern region.

While some choices you mention are related to GC - the B17 was aimed at the GE Anglia region, the D11 in conjunction of being able to do an NRM limited edition and the Scottish counterpart. The 04, was also aimed at being able to do the ROD and thus tap Western demand. So on the face of it you can have GC choices, but linked to other areas, where as some engines need to stand more on their own such as a D12, or a Q6. I think thats why J11 actually hung about it a bit more and explains why other following GC engines did not poll highly and that following these there has not been a rush to do more solid GN or GC choices after these, where as the popular ones for GE and NE have started to be looked at and taken on. 

• Like 2

I personally think that an S160 could well be due, with perhaps a redo of the class 50. 

I doubt we will see to many brand new toolings - despite the profits of Hornby in 2020 I doubt that they would like to go too far too fast, so maybe three or four locos (and don’t forget that ‘Lion’ has already been announced)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Black Hat said:

I appreciate the logic but its not the case. When the wishlist poll that was done a few years ago was published I looked into the figures as the poll team would just list each item in terms of how many they got in comparison with each other. In the end that gave you a running order in an almost first past the post system. The more votes you got the higher you would be in the top 50. 

To try and find out more using the raw data that they published I worked on a system that would treat all companies fairly. I would take the top 10 most popular votes of engines, per pre-grouping or grouping company for comparison - to then find the most popular areas and choices, hoping to see if engines I would have liked to have seen made then be popular enough compared to others that were. In this NE and GE came out massively more popular than GC or GN. I did the same for pre-grouping companies elsewhere just to check on those areas for more comparrison. NE and GE managed to poll about as popular or more so than some areas of the Southern region.

While some choices you mention are related to GC - the B17 was aimed at the GE Anglia region, the D11 in conjunction of being able to do an NRM limited edition and the Scottish counterpart. The 04, was also aimed at being able to do the ROD and thus tap Western demand. So on the face of it you can have GC choices, but linked to other areas, where as some engines need to stand more on their own such as a D12, or a Q6. I think thats why J11 actually hung about it a bit more and explains why other following GC engines did not poll highly and that following these there has not been a rush to do more solid GN or GC choices after these, where as the popular ones for GE and NE have started to be looked at and taken on. 

Which is why I'm praying the A5 sells (and buying one) - it's a bit too far south for me (though would have come through my patch on way to/from the Tank, but if sales encourage someone to make the L3... Incidentally, I was talking to an L3 fireman the other week (and there can't be many LNER footplate crew still with us) and it seems to have fired about as well as it looked, so perhaps that explains the lack of attention to date!

Edited by Helmdon
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

You forgot to mention Swindon which was a regular destination for GC Atlantics until they were displaced by  by ex GN Ivatt Atlantics which were eventually replaced by Bongos (and probably something else in the years before the Bongos arrived on the GC. - maybe B17s and quite likely other ex GCR designs).

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Helmdon said:

Which is why I'm praying the A5 sells (and buying one)

This is getting OT on a Hornby thread but...the LNER-built GCR A5s are also suitable for the NE.  Just waiting for them in N...

RT

• Like 2

7 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

I was thinking a Southern T3 as Phil is good enough to list his wish list as per his signature. So while Phil is wanting stuff from SECR or LBSCR will be want something LSWR but thus buy it to 'encourage' more Southern engines, as per his thinking. I think not and thus illustrate the point I have been making to him for years. 

However, if he did want to get an education and get an NER T3 then his worries about hauling long goods trains up gradients would all be over! 

Nothing wrong with an ex-LSWR T3  -  I've just got an Adams Jubilee in LSWR Sage Green (OO Works)  (Lovely colour by the way)

You still seem upset with the idea that others must lose such that the manufacturers do what you want  -  the world doesn't work like that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Helmdon said:

Which is why I'm praying the A5 sells (and buying one) - it's a bit too far south for me (though would have come through my patch on way to/from the Tank, but if sales encourage someone to make the L3... Incidentally, I was talking to an L3 fireman the other week (and there can't be many LNER footplate crew still with us) and it seems to have fired about as well as it looked, so perhaps that explains the lack of attention to date!

1 hour ago, RichardT said:

This is getting OT on a Hornby thread but...the LNER-built GCR A5s are also suitable for the NE.  Just waiting for them in N...

RT

The A5's being done are the GC batch I think but given delays and how long things take I can see people buying them for areas such as the NE and renumbering even if not totally correct. To be honest even I am tempted with that idea. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 22/12/2021 at 16:45, AY Mod said:

6 minutes ago, Markwj said:

Sorry if I have missed this but what time is Mondays announcement and is it a live presentation over internet or not?

It'll just be fresh product pages on their website.

All the info will be on here at 10.00 on the 10th. Of course it will be on Hornby's site too but, if previous years are anything to go by, it will be slow (or hung) and difficult to find the key information quickly

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Of course it will be on Hornby's site too but, if previous years are anything to go by, it will be slow (or hung) and difficult to find the key information quickly

So Hornby will struggle to deliver their website on time as well...........?

:D

• Funny 10

22 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

They appearently did look at it some years back.  But it was killed before birth - reportedly on the grounds that all GWR 4-6-0s look the same (which is of course absolutely true in the case of anybody with poor eyesight) 

Didn't stop an endless stream of LNER Pacifics, where even the class designations sound the same

• Like 4

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Oh. Has RMweb been disallowed doing its normal thing?

No, just saying that Hornby will just do its normal launch as far as I know rather than any launch video. I've got all the info prepped for here for Monday morning as usual. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 3

29 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

Nothing wrong with an ex-LSWR T3  -  I've just got an Adams Jubilee in LSWR Sage Green (OO Works)  (Lovely colour by the way)

You still seem upset with the idea that others must lose such that the manufacturers do what you want  -  the world doesn't work like that.

I've never said that. What I rail against is the idea of those modelling the Southern area getting upset that someone from another area when they suggest their model was perfectly viable. When until recently the native motive power for this area was never really done, aside from a J72. There as been loads of Southern stuff made and I think its great that other areas get what they can too - such as Scottish engines being done and more Midland ones that have been covered. I have said for a while that the Southern region is saturated, but given the delay in stock that is being masked. Now there is virtually a new stock drought even if prices are forcing us to dig deeper into wallets, things that are wanted will push us that bit further to buy what we'd like. 

Its not a case of others loosing out, its been a case of balancing releases across ranges so that everyone gets their popular items. It was perfectly possible for others to get a release or two, even while the Southern region was being rebalanced with a wide range of grouping stock. 

The main point that has changed though, since we started debating the various pro's and cons about what would be good for release is that in my opinion, BR transition period is not the most popular period of choice. Now I think it is privitisation, overall since its beginning, at about 1997. So while we might want or indeed lobby for a T3 whether that be LSWR or NER version, the question is would Hornby be better making a full on second gen unit such as a new 175? 

• Like 1