Peterborough North

great northern

Jonathan, that question is open to abuse from that duck from 'down the line' and the suggested condition is already established.

However, I loved that set of pics, very orderly gulls on the telegraph pole an' all.

Did any other spotters call the blue thing Smeltic? No, oh well, we wuz only simple west country boys on a day out to the smoke when I saw it first.

Now then, Sun Stream. What Tim has captured to a golf ball stand is the matt look on most filthy loco's. Cracking weathering; let him loose on the Smeltic please.

Sincerely,

Wing Commander Drake: BO. DSS. MOD. 

Sadly this was Mallard's last posting - check out the "Cuddles the Duck" thread.

Bill

Hmmm, compliments from the editor of the forum - my journalistic instinct senses a favour request in the offing :-)

Perish the thought! ;)

Quite the opposite, I'm trying to find time to get over to see Gilbert to remedy a long overdue favour.

Further to my previous comments I must say it's a miracle that Gilbert's been able to do as well as he has with some of the pictures as I've just been for a play with paint.net and the tools for erasing the background are quite crude compared to full-blown immensely expensive Photoshop.

I hate to steepen Gilbert's learning curve any further but it is possible to download an old, but capable, version of Photoshop (CS2) free of charge (it is legitimate) which would have some tools for improving life - http://www.techspot.com/downloads/3689-adobe-photoshop-cs2.html such as erasers which you can soften the edge of and some improvements with different lasso types. The net result would be reductions in the speckliness around objects.

Perish the thought! ;)

Quite the opposite, I'm trying to find time to get over to see Gilbert to remedy a long overdue favour.

Further to my previous comments I must say it's a miracle that Gilbert's been able to do as well as he has with some of the pictures as I've just been for a play with paint.net and the tools for erasing the background are quite crude compared to full-blown immensely expensive Photoshop.

I hate to steepen Gilbert's learning curve any further but it is possible to download an old, but capable, version of Photoshop (CS2) free of charge (it is legitimate) which would have some tools for improving life - http://www.techspot.com/downloads/3689-adobe-photoshop-cs2.html such as erasers which you can soften the edge of and some improvements with different lasso types. The net result would be reductions in the speckliness around objects.

Hi Andy

I tried to download this in the Apple Mac version, I it will not let me install it, I get a message saying cannot install as it is not from recognised app from the App Store.

Any suggestions?

Regards

David

Hi David

Have a look at this link 

https://www.my-private-network.co.uk/knowledge-base/apple-related-questions/osx-unsigned-apps.html

TBH if you're using a Mac and want to play Photoshop there are other ways to do it than using CS2 - again this link might help...http://www.creativebloq.com/photoshop/alternatives-1131641

ATB

Peter

Perish the thought! ;)

With thanks to a post on the Rover 75 Owners Club Forum, here is a link to a legal FREE download of Photoshop CS2:

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/3689-adobe-photoshop-cs2.html

Copy and paste into your ADDRESS BAR.

The serial number to activate is located further down the main page.

Worked ok for me a few weeks back, hope it is still active!

Edit: I posted this link then read further down the thread and saw Andy's post - sorry Andy.

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram

Hi David

Have a look at this link 

https://www.my-private-network.co.uk/knowledge-base/apple-related-questions/osx-unsigned-apps.html

TBH if you're using a Mac and want to play Photoshop there are other ways to do it than using CS2 - again this link might help...http://www.creativebloq.com/photoshop/alternatives-1131641

ATB

Peter

Hi Peter

Many thanks for the link, very helpful should be able to install it now.

Regards

David

Hi Andy

I tried to download this in the Apple Mac version, I it will not let me install it, I get a message saying cannot install as it is not from recognised app from the App Store.

Any suggestions?

Regards

David

Go to system preferences, you can change the settings there,access from the apple menu. Sorry about hijack and I'm doing this from memory as I'm away for a few days. If the route is wrong you can google the answer as I did when I first encountered the same problem.

• RMweb Premium

It is a fact of life that some things are just irresistible. Here is one of them.

post-98-0-16200100-1424434603_thumb.jpg

A beautiful little loco, and a very fine model too. Do I need one at PN? Well, no frankly, but as I said irresistible. Also, I've looked back through my e-mails, and find that in 2007, again in 2008 after my LNER locos concensus thread, and finally in 2010, I sent detailed arguments to Simon Kohler as to why this would be a very good loco to produce, as part of an East Anglian "package". Incidentally, I also suggested upgrading the B17, and doing the short tender type as well as the Footballer, together with an L1, a D16, and an upgraded B12. Of course I don't claim that I am responsible for the production by Hornby of nearly all of these, but I do feel very strongly that it shows that carefully constructed and detailed submissions may well have more impact than " I want one, and it would sell in shedloads." Anyway, having pushed for a J15 so hard, I feel the least I can do is back Hornby by getting one. It would have been better though if I had ordered the right one. :senile: And it would have helped too if I had done my research before pre-ordering. I would want this lovely little thing to be able to haul short passenger trains - I'm thinking of the East shuttle in particular- but this one can't, being steam brake only. It would appear that I can't just renumber it as one of the passenger engines either, as Hornby have correctly incorporated detail differences on that one. Has anyone out there made the same mistake, and would be interested in a swop?

• Like 11

It is a fact of life that some things are just irresistible. Here is one of them.

attachicon.gifj15.jpg

A beautiful little loco, and a very fine model too. Do I need one at PN? Well, no frankly, but as I said irresistible. Also, I've looked back through my e-mails, and find that in 2007, again in 2008 after my LNER locos concensus thread, and finally in 2010, I sent detailed arguments to Simon Kohler as to why this would be a very good loco to produce, as part of an East Anglian "package". Incidentally, I also suggested upgrading the B17, and doing the short tender type as well as the Footballer, together with an L1, a D16, and an upgraded B12. Of course I don't claim that I am responsible for the production by Hornby of nearly all of these, but I do feel very strongly that it shows that carefully constructed and detailed submissions may well have more impact than " I want one, and it would sell in shedloads." Anyway, having pushed for a J15 so hard, I feel the least I can do is back Hornby by getting one. It would have been better though if I had ordered the right one. :senile: And it would have helped too if I had done my research before pre-ordering. I would want this lovely little thing to be able to haul short passenger trains - I'm thinking of the East shuttle in particular- but this one can't, being steam brake only. It would appear that I can't just renumber it as one of the passenger engines either, as Hornby have correctly incorporated detail differences on that one. Has anyone out there made the same mistake, and would be interested in a swop?

It's a beautiful little thing, I nearly have enough for one. Will you be modelling the tarpaulin rail on the tender?

Very nice J15.  I always enjoy any 0-6-0 tender engines.   :)

Question:  I notice that the reversing lever(I believe) is painted grey/silver - was that the case on most engines where that lever was visible?  I have an older Hornby 4F and am 'personalizing' it, and was wondering about painting it's reversing lever.

Thanks and Cheers,

William

Edited by AireValley1962

Gilbert I was tempted myself - especially when I saw how cheaply it can be acquired from Sheffield!

Very interesting that you mention Simon Kohler and LNER. I met Simon about three weeks after he started at Hronby 30-odd years ago when I was working my way up the greasy pole at IPC/Reed. He told me than that his dream was to introduce as many LNER designs as possible, and he was proud that he'd got agreement for a B17 within a week of joining.

We were lucky to have such an advocate and that he lasted so long.

And anyway, if you can have a B17, why not a J15

There's going to be a rash of these all over the East coast of RMWeb under the 'prototype for everything' rule.

Look if you can explain away a Castle in Leicester, getting one of these through PN should be a doddle - presumably they must have gone up to The Plant occasionally?