Peterborough North

great northern

21 minutes ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Could only be Grantham.

I expect Paul (Flying Fox) is tired today after another Bridge Strike on Wednesday in Grantham, just near the station.

Then network Rail are closing two bridges for  3 months. each with only a short break at Xmas. By the way it's only 141 days to XMAS !!!  :devil:

I am guilty as charged and Yes I’m biased. Grantham for me.

Del, did you see me in my best Orange Suit?  Not sure about HGV driver’s and there maths abilities. A sign in the cab said 16’ 6”. As you know the bridge is 15’ 0”

As for closures, there is much repair work to do.  I did mention it took 4 days to replace one in 1987, yet in 1955 it took 55 hours!  There must a formula of length time versus quantity of H&S risk assessments 

Paul

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

We seem to have gone from one extreme to the other. From the GE section where there is not much of interest to the ECML where they could almost all beat the GE junctions.

For me, nothing to choose between PN, Grantham and Doncaster, as they used to be. If pushed I’ll say Grantham.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, CUTLER2579 said:

I expect Paul (Flying Fox) is tired today after another Bridge Strike on Wednesday in Grantham, just near the station.

This one, perhaps?

IMG_5265.JPG.8282709674ea5d0ca36eea94e787ed8b.JPG

He certainly looks a bit worried ...

post-91916 (61070).jpg

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

Quite correct Red Leader!  Though the damage was on the upside, (town side), of the bridge.  
On Wednesday evening, my wife past a comment that she wouldn’t want to be the person who had the job of allowing trains to pass over it after she’d seen the pictures.  

I then pointed out that person was me!  

That stopped her in her tracks.  

Paul

• Friendly/supportive 6

Doncaster apart from being what seems like the coldest place on Earth when that wind rips down the platforms it has been the starting place to many an adventure for me and i used to commute to Uni (Sheffield Hallam ) often using the old 0807 departure for Bristol Temple Meads used to get me to Sheffield for around 0840

5 hours ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Paul,

It's not just the posh orange Suit, but how do you get that Aluminium Tower into your van ?

Derek,
its not my tower.  That belongs to AMCO who were parked up nearby.

I’ve got all the other things in my van, including a HGV Height measuring gadget and a fold bridge for getting passengers off a failed train onto another that is parked alongside.

Paul

p.s. Apologies to Gilbert for hijacking the thread

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Derek,
its not my tower.  That belongs to AMCO who were parked up nearby.

I’ve got all the other things in my van, including a HGV Height measuring gadget and a fold bridge for getting passengers off a failed train onto another that is parked alongside.

Paul

p.s. Apologies to Gilbert for hijacking the thread

No problem Paul. About 15 years ago I prosecuted an HGV driver who hit Barrowby Road bridge and just carried on. Found later in a lay by with a bottle of vodka by his side. One of the worst drink driving cases I ever saw, and I've seen plenty.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

9 minutes ago, great northern said:

An early morning  WD, glimpsed through a gap between buildings.

1699044593_8inbetween.JPG.70178b3bfe22ff7b93d3347bdf8b29ed.JPG

and then seen side on in all its magnificence.

844538818_9246.JPG.5c7956273558f03bf57ef7be8864cd7a.JPG

i really do like WDs. Perhaps I should get some more.

"How many WD's do you need ?"

"Just one more! ":lol:

• Like 3

G'Day Folks

Hatfield gets my vote, all the quaint little branches going off all over the place, the Buffet on the down platform, bit more room and I would have modeled it.

manna

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning Gilbert.  I like the shot of the WD, which gives a new perspective on that part of the layout and shows off the signal very nicely.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

A very close poll indeed.  5 votes for Doncaster, but 6 each for Peterborough and Grantham. I shall act as tie breaker, and give an extra vote for Grantham. What sways it for me is the view of the shed from the platforms, and the constant engine changes. The only place I visited where, if there were no trains coming through, I could feast my eyes on one or more Pacifics standing still. I always feel a great sense of loss when I see the soulless housing estate which now stands behind the island platform.

Right, now we can start wandering away from the main lines, where there were many country junctions to be found. We'll start with the area between the Humber and the Tyne, and to the East of the ECML. Favourite or most attractive/evocative/interesting will do, so that gives you plenty of scope.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Well, for this poll, if I understand it correctly, it has to be Market Weighton. Just no competition. If I may, I’ll now show this photo’ by ricsrailpics on Flickr, of Market Weighton station on the 6th March, 1965, on the day a special double headed train to Whitby ran. You can see the K1 in the distance, for that was East Junction. The lines to Driffield and Beverley went their seperate ways here. The 40 is on a Hull to York service, most probably the 12.12 from Hull. 
At the other end of the station you had West Junction, where the lines to Selby and York parted. There was a two road engine shed, which, although closed down in 1917, was still in existence in 1965. You can see the large goods warehouse on the right. Market Weighton was a very large station for the size of the small country town it served in East Yorkshire.  And, of course, it was the ‘Railway King’, George Hudson, who, wanting a station and railway to serve his country house at Londesborough, who was the driving force behind getting the York line built and opened. The Selby line was there, to stop competitors from gaining a foothold into this part of the world.  Sadly it all went, for good, on the 29th November, 1965. The last train, through Market Weighton ran on Saturday, 27th November, 1965. All to save some £80,000.

3727093532_22eebd37f7_4k.jpgUnknown class 40 on a Hull - York working. Market Weighton. 6 March 1965 by ricsrailpics, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, manna said:

Off the beaten track..Gilberdyke.

More than 40 years ago, I worked with a chap who in every third sentence would say "When I were in Gilberdyke...." and proceed to tell me how much better railway life had been up there. How and why he had moved to Thanet I have no idea, but I don't think he made a great success of the relocation. 

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Off the beaten track..Gilberdyke.

manna

Must be good, as apparently it was dug by a very early ancestor of mine. ( I had to Google this). To save others doing the same, the name is a corruption of Gilbert's dyke. Then I had to find out where it was!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Well, for this poll, if I understand it correctly, it has to be Market Weighton. Just no competition. If I may, I’ll now show this photo’ by ricsrailpics on Flickr, of Market Weighton station on the 6th March, 1965, on the day a special double headed train to Whitby ran. You can see the K1 in the distance, for that was East Junction. The lines to Driffield and Beverley went their seperate ways here. The 40 is on a Hull to York service, most probably the 12.12 from Hull. 
At the other end of the station you had West Junction, where the lines to Selby and York parted. There was a two road engine shed, which, although closed down in 1917, was still in existence in 1965. You can see the large goods warehouse on the right. Market Weighton was a very large station for the size of the small country town it served in East Yorkshire.  And, of course, it was the ‘Railway King’, George Hudson, who, wanting a station and railway to serve his country house at Londesborough, who was the driving force behind getting the York line built and opened. The Selby line was there, to stop competitors from gaining a foothold into this part of the world.  Sadly it all went, for good, on the 29th November, 1965. The last train, through Market Weighton ran on Saturday, 27th November, 1965. All to save some £80,000.

3727093532_22eebd37f7_4k.jpgUnknown class 40 on a Hull - York working. Market Weighton. 6 March 1965 by ricsrailpics, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

Exactly the sort of place we are looking for Rob.

• Thanks 1