Peterborough North

great northern

If you lump all 842 together in one class, then I'm struggling to think of any other true Stanier mixed traffic design?! Technically, the small class of 2-6-0s were 5MTs (a la Horwich 'Crab') were 'mixed traffic' but how often did you see them working secondary express passenger trains.

No, it has to be the 'Black 5', a truly outstanding design by any yardstick. This was the motive power unit that the LMS so badly needed and an early priority for Stanier upon his arrival, as directed by his fairy godfather, Lord Stamp. Often forgotten is the fact that the astonishingly large number of them built so quickly was partly on account of the government loan scheme under the 1935 Railways (Agreement) Act. The LMS used this to finance the building of 369 new steam locomotives of which it is a fair bet that most - if not all - of those were Black 5s.

It could also be argued that it wasn't just what the LMS needed, it was what the country needed. Soberingly - but inevitably - the need for materials, parts and finished products to be transported across the country quickly and efficiently became more urgent as Sept 1939 loomed. As with the Duchesses - but on a far more extensive scale - much of the fine work of the Black 5s was done during the night time on fast, fitted goods and parcels and this was where they excelled. Yes, they were equally successful as express passenger locos - notably on the Midland Division - but it's with a rake of fitted vans rattling along behind the tender that the Black 5 was at its most archetypal.

I've had many pleasant days out with Black 5s in preservation days, notably on the 'Road to the Isles'. But I have one abiding memory from a slightly earlier time. Chinley station c.1978 and we've paused for a photo-stop (remember them?) with 5305+5690. Setting off in the Sheffield direction (ie a restart in the 1-in-90), by agreement of the crews, it was decided to let the 'Jub' do most of the work. Well, whether the rails had become slightly damp or some over-enthusiastic handling by the crew, I don't know but Leander just went into an almighty and uncontrollable slip.

Well on its way to being a 'Durham', there was then the characteristic 'phut' of the anti-vac valve shutting and with a reassuring 'ssssshhhh' from the front end, the '5' dug in and got the whole ensemble - including slithering 5XP - on the move, upon which the cacophony from the Jubilee subsided and we were safely on our way.

That sums up a Black 5 perfectly to me. No nonsense, just getting the job done. Wonderful locos. Anybody got about 25 Hornby ones they've no need for?

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

Has to be Black 5 for me as well. Large class, though with a few variations, and excellent workhorses. My strongest memory is of a rail tour in about 1963-5 about. 70047 failed going north at Tebay (I think), by which time it was about an hour late. 45082 was commadered for the run onto Carlisle. Touched 82 downhill from Shap. Journey back to Crewe via Leeds meant last train to Derby had left, so stoke train extended to Derby for 6 of us. i then spent about 3 hours at Trent station waiting for a Nottingham train.

That was also the only time I saw yesterday's favourite, the pacifics. They were in store at Upperby shed having been withdrawn. We disembarked from  the train just opposite the shed. presumeably the adjacent line had been blocked.

Lloyd

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Just for the hell of it, I'm saying the 5MT 2-6-0, with respect to the prior comment about them mainly being MT in name only. However they're the locomotive that started it all. Without the design features being proven (and in some case, later rejected), there'd be no Black 5.

Well that's my argument anyhow to include a non-Black 'un. I'll go grab the blindfold and put my back against the wall.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1