Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

..and some lovely track geometry in the foreground. I do like the look of an A3 with a double chimney but without smoke deflectors. It's a matter of some regret to me that The Scotsman is so disfigured.

Chaz

While I have some sympathy with your view, there is a problem with the double chimney fitted locos without the deflectors - the crew can't see forward at least half the time due to lazy exhaust clinging to the boiler top at speed.

So for me its a choice between a single chimney loco or the deflectors - of which the German type were the most effective.

Regards

Chris H

• RMweb Premium

While I have some sympathy with your view, there is a problem with the double chimney fitted locos without the deflectors - the crew can't see forward at least half the time due to lazy exhaust clinging to the boiler top at speed.

So for me its a choice between a single chimney loco or the deflectors - of which the German type were the most effective.

Regards

Chris H

Aesthetics versus practicality. A common clash for enthusiasts. Also sums up the difference between British and Continental thinking back in the day, doesn't it?

No!  I was already a fully appreciative member of said society but had decided it was best kept at a minimal level of reverence and noise in case I get chucked out of Swindon on my next visit.

You never know. I have a pal who nearly got chucked out of Bewdley for saying Hampton Loade was a nice station. For those of you that don't know, these are two Severn Valley stations.

• RMweb Premium

Yet again, my heating system chooses to break down on a Bank Holiday. Great service from my Insurance company got me an emergency engineer within four hours, brilliant. Pump has failed, not so brilliant, and he has already used the only one he had on the van, less brilliant still. Get another on Easter Sunday? No chance. So, no heating and no hot water for some time.

Here is a picture of a coaling stage.

post-98-0-64616800-1492351960_thumb.jpg

Plenty of coal there, but no good to me, as I don't have a grate to burn it in. Time to put on an extra pair of socks, I think, after which I shall return to the railway.

• Like 8

Yet again, my heating system chooses to break down on a Bank Holiday. Great service from my Insurance company got me an emergency engineer within four hours, brilliant. Pump has failed, not so brilliant, and he has already used the only one he had on the van, less brilliant still. Get another on Easter Sunday? No chance. So, no heating and no hot water for some time.

Commiserations.

I live in the middle of nowhere, with oil-fired central heating and paranoia about what happens when it breaks in the middle of a Bank Holiday, or there's a power cut in a mid-winter storm that lasts days. 

So I also have a wood-burning stove; and i resisted getting one controlled by clever electronics so that, if all else fails, I still have a functioning heating system in the house.

Then again, Norfolk is one of the coldest places on the planet, so it's best to take precautions here!

Hope the extra socks are keeping you toasty. And just looking at that new Claud should be enough to warm the cockles of your heart...

Paul

• Like 1

Here is a picture of a coaling stage.

attachicon.gifcoaling stage.JPG

Plenty of coal there, but no good to me, as I don't have a grate to burn it in. Time to put on an extra pair of socks, I think, after which I shall return to the railway.

You could use the old trick of heating water. Get a brown paper bag, near fill it with water and light a small fire underneath. You would need to have a garden with a BBQ or firepit to hold the bag over

• RMweb Premium

You could use the old trick of heating water. Get a brown paper bag, near fill it with water and light a small fire underneath. You would need to have a garden with a BBQ or firepit to hold the bag over

I do have a kettle though. :scratchhead:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

do you not have an Electric Immersion Heater to heat your hot water ? Always a good item to have as the old Boilers do break down occassionally.

Oh, bless you Derek. That never occurred to me! I've just been up to the airing cupboard, and found another lead to the combi boiler. Traced it back, and tucked into an insignificant corner a switch labelled "water heater".  The curse of the cold shower is lifted. :sungum:

• Like 8

Oh, bless you Derek. That never occurred to me! I've just been up to the airing cupboard, and found another lead to the combi boiler. Traced it back, and tucked into an insignificant corner a switch labelled "water heater".  The curse of the cold shower is lifted. :sungum:

Gilbert,

One tries  :jester:  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

No!  I was already a fully appreciative member of said society but had decided it was best kept at a minimal level of reverence and noise in case I get chucked out of Swindon on my next visit.

We're forming a pressure group, Gilbert.  Once you've had a shower we will discuss terms!

Commiserations on a Bank Holiday breakdown though, rotten luck.  We once had the entire exhaust system fall off our car on Easter Sunday on the North Yorkshire Moors.  Noisy couple of days!

• Like 1

As residents of the Norfolk Fens (not far from the former Wisbech to Upwell branch) we also suffer rather badly when the old boiler breaks down (I don't mean the SWMBO). However 'water heaters' kind of depend on having electricity and in this neck of the woods, power outages are a frequent occurrence. Swans, from the local wildfowl reserve, frequently 'take out' the overhead power lines. 

We don't have mains gas in the village and/or mains drainage. What we do have is peace & quiet and enormous skies!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Commiserations on a Bank Holiday breakdown though, rotten luck.  We once had the entire exhaust system fall off our car on Easter Sunday on the North Yorkshire Moors.  Noisy couple of days!

My hearing aid once broke down on a Good Friday. I could not get a replacement until the following Wednesday! Very quiet 5 days!

We ha

As residents of the Norfolk Fens (not far from the former Wisbech to Upwell branch) we also suffer rather badly when the old boiler breaks down (I don't mean the SWMBO). However 'water heaters' kind of depend on having electricity and in this neck of the woods, power outages are a frequent occurrence. Swans, from the local wildfowl reserve, frequently 'take out' the overhead power lines. 

We don't have mains gas in the village and/or mains drainage. What we do have is peace & quiet and enormous skies!

We have mains gas, sewerage etc. probably because the nearby harbour was used by the navy for over 100 years. We also have big skies and the sea is all around, on a couple of occasions it has flooded the only road connecting us to the mainland. However, the upside is that this view is on my drive to work (taken at around 7am just over a week ago).

post-12773-0-81280400-1492372072_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
There will have no doubt been many occasions when more than one loco at a time was in motion at PN, and I don't get to photograph such events as often as perhaps I should, possibly because when operating alone I concentrate on one train at a time. That's because I know what can and does happen if I don't.

But you use DCC don't you? I thought the whole idea of DCC was to allow multiple movements from one controller.

• RMweb Premium

But you use DCC don't you? I thought the whole idea of DCC was to allow multiple movements from one controller.

Yes, I do, but there are a lot of potentially conflicting movements, particularly when coming in and out of the fiddle yard. I'm nearly always following the sequence too, and either putting cassettes on or taking them off, or making up trains from losse stock, so one at a time applies more often thatn not.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

But each moving loco requires a human supervisor, so running more than one train at once requires remarkable concentration. I'm not sure, given the value of so many of Gilbert's trains, that I'd want to risk that very often.

• RMweb Premium

Being another member of the Fen living association, I designed my heating system to work without any electricity at all. A solid fuel rayburn was bought secondhand, fitted with a much bigger back boiler*, and the system plumbed as a single pipe gravity system. Being such an unusually old fashioned design, I couldn't find a plumber who understood it, so I had to learn how to plumb! Mind you I couldn't afford to do it these days, as it uses 28mm copper as the main pipe....

I put my smug face on when the electric goes off in the village, while we are still cooking and being nice and warm!

Back to a railway subject: I picked up a signed copy of Peter Townsends Top Shed book the other day, £2! A good read, and really shows how bad the double chimneyed A3's were before the German deflectors were fitted. One word, Dangerous!

Andy G

*Now fitted with a back boiler of improved design, 6mm plate and powerstation boiler tube, which has increased the surface area of the pervious boiler by 50%, along with a few flow modifications as well has made her much more efficient....

• Like 3

Being another member of the Fen living association, I designed my heating system to work without any electricity at all. A solid fuel rayburn was bought secondhand, fitted with a much bigger back boiler*, and the system plumbed as a single pipe gravity system. Being such an unusually old fashioned design, I couldn't find a plumber who understood it, so I had to learn how to plumb! Mind you I couldn't afford to do it these days, as it uses 28mm copper as the main pipe....

*Now fitted with a back boiler of improved design, 6mm plate and powerstation boiler tube, which has increased the surface area of the pervious boiler by 50%, along with a few flow modifications as well has made her much more efficient....

G'day Gents

When do you fit the superheater...........!!!!

manna