The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

10 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

Can just visualise the gate keeper saying "we've allowed our maximum quota in, please form an orderly queue"!

This is Kew Gardens on Mothers' Day, not Twickenham Stadium. Surely there's nothing more British than "form an orderly queue"?

;)

• Like 4
  • Funny 11

4 hours ago, Tony_S said:

free range semi skimmed milk ...

Genuinely asked, what constitutes "free range" milk in the UK? 

/facetiously/ Do they have mikmaids that chase the cows around the paddock with a bucket and stool?

Or is it that the cows are pastured rather than fed hay, and are still mechanically milked in a barn?

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

This is Kew Gardens on Mothers' Day, not Twickenham Stadium. Surely there's nothing more British than "form an orderly queue"?

;)

I didn't think I'd need to emphasize the irony.

Limited access to the gardens to maintain "social distancing" whilst forming and orderly, compact, undistanced queue at the entrance.

• Like 6
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Genuinely asked, what constitutes "free range" milk in the UK? 

/facetiously/ Do they have mikmaids that chase the cows around the paddock with a bucket and stool?

Or is it that the cows are pastured rather than fed hay, and are still mechanically milked in a barn?

Organic is about how they are fed mainly. Free range is freedom to graze and kept outside for at least six months of the year. When I went to the US I saw dairy cattle in Connecticut being moved from field to milking parlour like here. When we were in Vermont I expected to see lots of cows like the ones on the Ben and Jerry ice cream tubs. However I was told they were permanently indoors. No idea if true but I think there was something about an intensive milking unit storyline on “The Archers” a few years ago. 
Tony

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Organic is about how they are fed mainly.

The Organic labelling here is also about medications, like antibiotics, growth hormones, estrogen (for milking cows) etc, which are extensively used in non-organic labelled milk.

The "free range" label here started with egg-laying chickens, to distinguish them from battery hens. I've not seen it applied to milk here, but I don't purchase a lot of milk and may not be paying attention. "Free range" has been used extensively for beef cattle to distinguish them from feed lot cattle.

Locally the dairy cows spend a lot of time outside (as anyone who has driven through Tillamook County can attest). Having said that, in Eastern Oregon industrialized, confinement mega-dairies supply milk to the same creameries. 

• Informative/Useful 16

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

;)

But this is corona so 'forming an orderly queue doesn't matter anymore' may well be a common misconception.

Edited by PeterBB
Spelling correction - see also Jonn C comment on typos errors
  • Like 1
  • Agree 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

No idea if true but I think there was something about an intensive milking unit storyline on “The Archers” a few years ago. 
Tony

ChrisF - please advise!

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Been doing a bit of sorting of modelling bits in the spare room. I really will have to get rid of some stuff, in fact I could probably set up my own model shop. I keep all of the smaller items in those screw cabinets, I have about a dozen with an average of about 15 drawers each. Theres a lot of stuff I'd forgotten about as well as some items that I'd thought I'd lost.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Social distancing as advised by HMG Chief Medical Advisor was practised. 

That went OK, but the golf was a bit suspect.

Then off to the big orange shed to "panic buy" paint as at least 2 of the 3 (and maybe all 3) NB household will be at home more in the next few weeks.

Time has also been spent clearing out a space to be used for WFH purposes. At least we shall have a good view out of the office window. (Pic later)

There may be some "G word" happening tomorrow. If I get that done quickly, I may partake of some more social distancing via two-wheeled pedal power.

Junior NB has been working as a self-employed swim teacher with schoolkids at a local pool. That work has now dried up (excuse the pun). However, the pool owner has offered free use of the pool in the meantime as long as we continue social distancing with one person per lane...... That will pass some time.

Have a good Mothering Sunday folks.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 19