The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

34 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Just a point, I've heard nothing on any News Channel about CV in Russia. We have heard about Europe, Asia, USA, Canada, South America, Australia, New Zealand, and many more, but I've nothing from any reports coming out of our friends in Russia.

Has anyone on here heard anything?

BBC news website has some information. Go to ‘news’ then ‘Europe’ . As expected MR Putin is not social distancing. Interesting read.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Sunshine and mainly blue sky here. A fine but coolish day is promised.

My fast has been broken and two soft boiled eggs were enjoyed from our rations. There seems to be a major shortage of them around here. Didn't get any on our delivery and neither did our neighbours on theirs from a rival supermarket.  The Boss has been checking dates on stuff in the fridge to make sure we eat stuff by (or not long after) its use by date so we don't waste anything. 

The kids will be "Facetiming" her later for Mother's Day but presents in the form of "fizz" and flowers were delivered to the doorstep yesterday. There were tears for a few minutes. She is finding it much harder than me being confined to barracks.

Sainsbury's have rearranged their "Happy Hour" for NHS staff. They will now be able to shop every day from Monday to Saturday between 7.30 and 8.00 before the shop opens to anyone else. Great idea and should help them a bit. They will be emailing those of the elderly and vulnerable today that they know about with information on when delivery slots will be available.

The G word has been mentioned here a couple of times over the past few days. I believe that shortly we will actually be doing something.

Keep calm and KBO,

Have a good one if you can,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is sunny here, but only 5 or 6C. No rain now or forecast.

MiL has been very concerned about her brother who lives in Delhi. He hasn’t changed his routine of going to his office (although he ceased trading 20 years ago) and then spending the day/evening at the tennis club. It wasn’t until there was a government curfew that he stayed in. MiL said he is lazy and also can’t do anything for himself not even make a cup of tea. There are Coronavirus cases in his locality. 
Aditi was threatening to get the electronic keyboard out and learn to play it. At least it isn’t a violin! Hopefully she will be distracted by the garden. 
Tony

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Kingzance said:

I

The pleasant lack of aircraft overhead leaving / arriving at London Luton or London Stansted brings back memories of an Icelandic volcanic eruption. That brings me on to ask if bailing out airlines (as it seems that we’ll known Spanish airline BA is requesting) is a reasonable use of public funds? Please feel free to debate - I am leaning towards the NO camp based on the need to support more critical systems and people in this country, the negative impact of air travel in terms of the environment and, last but not least, the appalling Michael O’Leary further claiming that any subsidies would be totally unfair unless he was allowed loadsamoney. We are all going to have to get used to a different world post this so why shouldn’t these global players also be similarly affected? And I write this with a grandson who really wants to be an airline pilot!

I'm afraid that in a global downturn, then airlines will be badly affected and their employees subjected to either reduced rates of pay or termination of their employment contracts.

One might look at this as being similar to that  same fate suffered by UK railway employees during the early and mid 1960's as track mileage reduced  and  the passenger and freight services were cut back. 

A lot of loyal employees  found themselves out of a job.

• Like 2
  • Agree 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

A trip to the local Co-op in hope rather than expectation yielded a good result. Whilst there was no sugar, I did manage to get a jar of Canderel. SWMBO normally consumes large amount of sugar and the lack thereof was prompting complaints. Hopefully some Brownie points have been earnt. I also managed to get a 4 pack of toilet paper, which, if common sense returns, should see us through to the point when more regular supply is available. As it is a nice sunny day, another attack of the lawn is will be in order. Yesterday reduced the height, whats left will now be drier, so a presentable finish may be obtained.

• Like 4
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I'm afraid that in a global downturn, then airlines will be badly affected and their employees subjected to either reduced rates of pay or termination of their employment contracts.

One might look at this as being similar to that  same fate suffered by UK railway employees during the early and mid 1960's as track mileage reduced  and  the passenger and freight services were cut back. 

A lot of loyal employees  found themselves out of a job.

I am forming my opinion based upon how air travel and capacity has mushroomed since the start of the century Richard. Of course any reduction will cause some people, who may be very qualified in a niche sector, to be made redundant. The fact that until very recently you could fly from a London air terminal to Glasgow for less than a third of the rail ticket and the airlines involved made a profit shows that the demand could and should be in part managed by the rail sector and a good bit of the other part mopped up by video conferencing - at which we will all become more proficient in the coming weeks. Of course there will be circumstances where these options will not work but the use of private / company transport would plug those gaps. Certain places, such as Jersey and Newquay, were only served by one airline but that airline was allowed to fail only weeks ago. Why would a UK based airline such as FlyBe before its possible bail-out by a consortium be left to wither whilst the likes of BA, owned by a Spanish conglomerate, be supported? No, these carriers wanted to operate in a free market and should have considered the risk.

The UK needs to invest more in its emergency infrastructure, education and social care rather than bail out big business - else we will be doing exactly the same as in 2008 when the banks who caused the financial mayhem came out of it better than small businesses, savers and small investors. I would hope we can learn a lesson from that, given how the still partly nationalised RBS group is still paying leading salaries and bonuses in that sector. If the banks were that good now, they would be back in private hands but some aren't so how long would an airline be on the state books for, still taking obscene payments for their directors and executives?

• Like 11
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium

Sunny here. A bit of making items unmentionable on this thread about to start. 

Youngest Herbert rang to tell her indoors to have a safe Mothers Day. So far they reckon 1 million jobs have gone in the licence trade. Trade in shops etc (off trade) in booze has gone through the roof.

Video call expected from Dr Eldest Herbert expected soon.

Baz

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The sun is shining and the sky is blue, but not a lot will get done outside today. 

Q, JSB, my original design for relay boards ‘HAD’ IC sockets for miniature plug in relays, but I found the ones that I’m using in a small drawer in the workshop and using these instead of the planned ones will save me in excess of £60 and these have cost me nothing! They were saved from being skipped after a departmental closure. When I mentioned this fact to Sheila she said “ooh, that’s money you could spend on something else!” The planned layout will be fixed so hopefully movement shouldn't be much of a problem. 

Enjoy the day, back later 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Nothing to go out for today so I'm staying in anyway. Luckily I have enough bread in, I found a loaf I purchased a couple of days ago the wrapper had split and it had started to go stale. Not to worry as I have enough dried fruit etc. to make a bread pudding. I agree with what KZ and Mike have said about the airlines, let the greedy b*st*rds sink. ChrisF, take your choice.>>

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Manager? Moron more likely. The sh!t should be named and shamed!

Having seen some of Sainsbury's "managers" in action at close quarters and heard about them from The Boss who had 37 years experience of them some couldn't manage a p1ssup in a brewery. *

* Although as in all walks of life there have been some notable exceptions.

Morning All bright and sunny.

My niece is an area manager for them she said it's like :banghead:

Well now I'm house bound I found my self a new Babe online she lives local and a coffee morning will ensue once we are allowed in the mean time texting will be the norm. 

Painting again today if I can get motivated will start after lunch.

Went for a midnight walk last night I had an headache that would not clear I wandered down the main A325 and not a soul about just one car when by the headache went I think

it was the  case of claustrophobia being shut in for 2 days.

Lunch time due stay safe, :superman:P. Casso. :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 12