The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

And apparently, there is nothing else happening in the world.

It would be a good time to slip something controversial through, wouldn't it?

• Agree 13
  • Funny 1

54 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Agency staff.  The position remains unclear as she is neither employed by the school nor self-employed but contracted as required.  Until today she was covering full days in the classroom plus out-of-hours tutoring such was the demand with permanent teaching staff absent.  She might yet be recalled depending on the need as there might be more than the 10% of children the government expected who are actually entitled to remain in school.  And the number of permanent teachers may reduce further.  

We have had another long (electronic) conversation tonight.  She is desperately worried about having no money and no home. It is unclear what protection she has with a commercial landlord - that offered so far is for tenants of private landlords - and has funds for the next month only.  I know she would be very reluctant to take it but I have offered her a significant amount of financial support if it makes the difference.  Leaving her shared flat is equally an untenable option; no-one is likely to want a flat-share with a stranger in current circumstances which means she would (in law) remain liable for her portion of the rent to the end of the tenancy and it leaves her flatmate just as exposed.  In addition to which it might be hard to secure the services of a person-plus-van to effect a 200-mile removal.  And that is if her mother could even find space for her.  That isn't certain either.

The phrase “a friend indeed” does not come close.

• Agree 15
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

SWMBO has submitted her PhD thesis tonight.  Eight years in the writing and not without a good many dramas along the way.  Now we await the assessment which can take around six months to be finalised.  

Rick, congratulations to your good lady. This is a significant accomplishment and milestone in life.

4 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Kew Gardens has been left open (though with all buildings closed; only the gardens are open) in respect of the advice to get out and stay healthy whilst observing personal space.  Mother's Day is one of their busiest in the year and is forecast to be sunny though cool.  They are concerned that a larger than ideal number of people might visit and not observe guidelines on distancing. 

Presumably they could offer 'first come, first served' timed access passes to limit the number of attendees  during the day. (I say this knowing that you are not in a position to effect policy at Kew Gardens, but I can see alternatives between the binary open or closed choice.)

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Weather was lovely today. I ran out to the post office, pharmacy, supermarket and cleaners.

The supermarket was well stocked, except for the bare shelves where the paper towels, toilet paper and bleach-based cleaners are normally located, though the sugar, flour, rice and boxed breakfast batters (pancakes, waffles, etc) were heavily depleted along with ground (minced) beef.

There's no way one would starve with everything else that was available.

It is spring and lovely. (This was in the supermarket car park.)

springbloom.PNG.729b6a9d34742668824fca007e4290b6.PNG

• Like 18

57 minutes ago, chrisf said:

On Desert Island Discs yesterday Daniel Radcliffe chose Tom Lehrer's "We Will All Go Together When We Go".

He's a big Tom Lehrer fan. I saw him sing "The Elements" from memory on a talk show, which I thought was a US late night talk show but Google links all point to the Graham Norton show (which might have been where I saw it).

The Tom Lehrer song of the moment (also mentioned on an RMweb somewhere) must surely be "I got it from Agnes".

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 17