The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

a candidate for the most photographed mine site in Cornwall.

And the most dangerous place to have worked.  If you survived the slippery slope down and failed to pitch off the cliff into the ocean you then worked beneath that ocean floor sometimes so close to it that you could allegedly hear an angry sea rolling boulders about above your head.  And those mines were wet.  Very very wet.  The things folk did to earn a crust backalong.  12 hours on, 12 hours off, not usually worked on Sundays.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
On 01/07/2020 at 18:39, tigerburnie said:

I'm sure there's an LMS Jinty in there....................................................:diablo_mini:

There's five of them, all turned up at the fancy dress party in the same outfit.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I can hear the wind outside but at least there's no rain. Sometime tomorrow I'll try to get the wheelbarrow assembled, if it stays dry. Now back to Farcebook. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Afternoon all,

I’m currently sitting by the pool sweating madly at my grandparents  ...snip...

Sweating madly at your grandparents???

2 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

...snip... I just spent 40 minutes inside winding the huge clock pictured below, it came out of town hall in Austria.  ...snip...

Forty minutes inside that clock winding it? That must have been downright uncomfortable!

Also, unless my limited (very) knowledge of European geography is messed up, I thought that Austria is a country; countries do not usually have" town halls". So, tell us more about the clock; with a photo of something by it to give an idea of its size. It does look rather old.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

The weather has been awful, constant rain for most of the day, luckily it hasn’t been heavy rain, light showers really. It stopped just after tea and it brightened up a little, but it started to rain again about 30 minutes ago. 

James called round at about 11 o’clock and stayed until just almost 1 o’clock! We chatted for most of the time, mainly about his work. He had been furloughed up until about 3 weeks ago, when started back doing 3 - 12 days, plus 1 - 6 hour day! However, that has now changed and instead he is now working 5 - 6 hour days instead, which he’s quite pleased with, as he now gets home a bit earlier and also gets his weekends off. As it was nearly 1 o’clock when he left for home, we decided that we might as well have an early dinner early. Needless to say, I didn’t get to the workshop this morning at all. 

After dinner I managed a couple hours in the workshop, initially testing what would switch the photo interrupter, the smallest size was a 0.8mm drill, but I think this is probably a bit too small to be practical. However, I did notice was that the bench light (small halogen desk light) I use affected it’s operation, it working better when I switched it off. I’m assuming that the lights wavelength is similar to that of the UV LED in the photo interrupter. Once happy that everything was working ok, I drilled the fixing holes in all 8 boards, meaning that tomorrow I can fix them to the drive-motor base. As these all have screw terminals connecting everything up should be a lot easier than the soldered connections of the previous sprung/plunger operated limit switches. The previous limit switch system only needed 5 wires, but this new system needs 6, the extra wire is for the common 0v line on all the circuit boards. However, I’ve used a short piece of 7 core flex to connect between the selector switch and the turntable limit switches, so there are 2 unused cores available, so that will be an easy modification to make.

Goodnight all 

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Douglas' comparison of pasties and empanadas led me to some very little online searches of same yesterday - not just Wikipedia, but frankly that was the most useful reference. Most of the non-Wiki hits were more folkloric in nature than researched.

It is interesting that the name pasté is Medieval French and related to the Latin 'pasta'. There are written references to such dishes (venison, various fish, vegetables and cheese) in 14th century France and in England (herrings) that date back to the 13th century. The first written references to empanadas date to the 16th century (but 68 years prior to Phillip II's nautical misadventure). No doubt they both existed well before being incorporated into cookery books. Nothing suggests the pasty as a Cornish invention.

Cornish references to the crusts as handles for the arsenic laden fingers of tin miners are no doubt accurate (to a point) but I suspect the existence of the crusts predate that usage. One could make some chicken/egg arguments, but the practicality of stopping the insides from leaking out suggest the crimped crust arrived in the kitchen well before feeding the spirits in the gloom of the mine, as delightful as that folklore is.

Of course Chinese pot stickers (Jiaozi) have crimped sides too. Their invention is attributed to Zhang Zhongjing in the 2nd or early 3rd century.

Hmm - sounds like someone somewhere (Wiki- land???) doesn't know the difference between a side crimp and top crimp.  I doubt a tin miner, or any other worker with nasty stuff on their hands , could have readily eaten a top crimped pasty without touching the important part of it.  You can of course eat a side crimped pasty by holding the crimp and eating the pasty contents without touching them - hence proper job Cornish pasties are side crimped.

• Like 4
  • Agree 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 02/07/2020 at 21:24, New Haven Neil said:

Query.

Has anyone ever made a small signal box diagram?  Maybe 6 inches long or so, just to refer to point and signal numbers?  I don't have the artistic skills to draw one freehand (or any artistic skills of that sort TBH), has anyone used a computer programme to make one?  Any hints?

Try downloading these.

https://www.dccconcepts.com/manual/mimic-board-art-tools/

edit: posted before seeing Mr BoDs contribution - that's what happens when you don't read ahead two days.....)

Edited by newbryford
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Oh, my aching eyes! I wish that it were possible to "un-see" something! :bo_mini:

I had the same response for the pic of panneers a few pages back.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

...snip... power has gone on and off for the past few minutes.

Is it windy? A branch may be intermittently contacting the primary.

• Like 5
  • Agree 8