Dapol Class 21/29

spackz

Now that Dapol appear to have announced that only Class 29's will be produced in the foreseeable future, I have some questions :-

Other than the headcode boxes, what are the visible differences between a Class 21 and a Class 29, difficult for amere novice like me to tell from photos.

Basically can you do a 21 from a 29?

Anyone care to enlighten me, or point me to available research?

Anyone care to enlighten me, or point me to available research (for a conversion from class 29 to class 21).

Take the front end detail off, apply parts to represent the communicating doors, discs and lights, and those intersting oval gubbins that decorated the front, paint overall green, get yourself an N2, L1 or B1 to tow it back to Hornsey for yet more repair and you are 90% there. In my opinion, others mileage may vary...

Looks like my much modified Hornby body on a Bach class 25 chassis is going to be running a little longer. Perhaps I ought to think about giving it spoked wheels as a further nudge toward accuracy. A new model that depicts the very narrow cab corner glazing posts and substantially bevelled lower bodyside form will be very welcome though.

• 1 month later...

I had better carry on converting my Hornby 21/29 hybrid to a class 21 then if they are not coming out for some while.

(Hornby body, much altered, Bachmann class 24/25 chassis, converted to EM with spoked wheels, Hornby bogie sides grafted onto the Bachmann bogie and the central tanks taken off the class 24/25 chassis and new appropriate ones fitted).

When Dapol release the class 21 will some versions have the token recess at side of the cabs?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I am building a model of Lowestoft in the early sixties, can anyone confirm that Class 21s drifted up from ipswich to Lowestoft or Gt Yarmouth. Thanks, I really want an excuse to buy one of these

Sorry to take so long responding - only just noticed your query.

My Jim Grindlay diesel allocation book shows D6120 to D6137 all being allocated new initially, in 1959, to shed code 32B, Ipswich. A sizeable fleet so perhaps they were used on the Suffolk coast route. By 1963 they were all reallocated according to JG to 65A, Eastfield.

Regards,

Brian.

Edited by Brian D

Theres a couple of photos of D61XX's from East Suffolk, one is on the Framlingham branch and the other is shunting at Saxmundham, can't remember what books they are in though!

I'm certain they would have got to Lowestoft, the above would give a good enough reason.

Mike

Sorry to take so long responding - only just noticed your query.

My Jim Grindlay deisel allocation book shows D6120 to D6137 all being allocated new initially, in 1959, to shed code 32B, Ipswich. A sizeable fleet so perhaps they were used on the Suffolk coast route. By 1963 they were all reaallocated according to JG to 65A, Eastfield.

Regards,

Brian.

• 1 month later...

Dave,

Have you had any joy in finding the relevant information/drawings for the 21/29 in order to proceed further? Having done some research alot of the drawings seem to be located in a university and museum in Glasgow, although I highly suspect you've tried this avenue. I haven't the knowledge to help further but in modern locomotives illustrated they have OO scale drawings of both class 21 and 29.

Guest Max Stafford

The Mitchell Library in Glasgow may well be a good source as I understand they are the keeper of the NBL archive.

Dave. 

• Like 2

The Mitchell Library in Glasgow may well be a good source as I understand they are the keeper of the NBL archive.

Dave. 

Hi Dave.

Would this be the place to enquire about a drawing of the 29 do you know? I'm thinking about, (in the distant future), of maybe scratchbuilding one in O gauge for our new Scottish based club layout, unless anyone knows of an O gauge RTR one in the pipeline?.....

Cheers.

Sean.

Guest Max Stafford

I can't see that it would be a bad idea Sean. Probably not labelled as class 29, but I'm sure a list of NBL diesel related info in the collection would yield something of use. There's no harm in asking!

Dave.

• Like 1

Max Stafford:

Dave.

Dave, he is probably already aware of this but have you passed this information on to Dapol Dave, I cant see he would have overlooked this though, but every little snippet may help avoid further delays.

Edited by spackz

• 4 weeks later...

The 21/29 has been widely advertised as being put back further due to lack of workd plans to follow (we'd rather wait and get it right than not and muck it up), so a couple of months ago we made the decision to hold back further and bring another model scheduled for later, forward (class 121 + 122).

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave.  I was just surprised that the CAD's were imminent back last March then it all went quiet and that apart from the update to the spec. in July I'd seen nothing on here (apart form here I only take one Mag - Model Rail - and hadn't noticed any update)! 

Was there any attempt made to seek the drawings out from the Mitchell Library and/or from Glasgow University who acquired much of the records and drawings that Hunslet Barclay inherited themselves from the NBL?  

On a similar vein the NRM I'd imagine must be in possesion of at least some of the drawings / aperture cards with the relevant modifications made after the NBL went bust.

Many thanks

• Like 1

So - and I may be reading between the lines here - in actual fact no work has been done on the 21/29 including even attempting to access and research the records in Glasgow and the NRM?

I suspect I will be on a very long wait for my 29 then.

Edited by Andy Y
Post locked
  • Like 1

Guest Max Stafford

Max Stafford:

Dave.

Dave, he is probably already aware of this but have you passed this information on to Dapol Dave, I cant see he would have overlooked this though, but every little snippet may help avoid further delays.

I have Dave.

I mentioned it to him on the Wizzo thread along with Paxman and the BR archive (NRM?).

Dave.

• Like 1

Hi Andy,

Your reading is incorrect.

The NRM have been contacted and are searching for us, and we have tried the Mitchell library a few times but with little joy.

As for the basic work, this started some time ago and ran, for a while, concurrently with the 22 project.

At the moment the 21/29 model development is on hold until more details come to light.

Cheers

Dave

So - and I may be reading between the lines here - in actual fact no work has been done on the 21/29 including even attempting to access and research the records in Glasgow and the NRM?

I suspect I will be on a very long wait for my 29 then.

Failing that maybe Heljan will have a space after there own NBL project  :O

Dave - your first point of contact surely has to be through the University of Glasgow Archives service - see http://www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_67063_en.pdf rather than the Mitchell Library in the first instance.

Details are not likely to come to light without a bit of further pro-active research....

Edited by Bob-65b

Guest Max Stafford

Hornby must have got their info from somewhere. Even if they sub-contracted the detail design to Stevie Wonder... :mosking:

Dave.

• Like 2

Depends of course what you asked for Dave - the NBL records and plans are held by them but I've no doubt it would require (as it is in general with the likes of the NRM) a fair bit of work actually going through the archive on the ground for I doubt most archivist's will know one 1000hp diesel-electric from another!

Perhaps one day.