Dapol Class 21/29

spackz

Looks like I won't be bothering finding and fitting spoked wheelsets to my class - cough -21 hybrid (Hornby bodyshell on a Bach 25 chassis).

Perhaps I will get on and find those wheelsets after all. It is a very straightforward job giving the old body a modern centre motor drive, the old body parts clip on around the new running gear for performance which the operators would have been very happy to obtain from the prototype.

Here are a few pictures of my part converted Hornby body and Bachmann chassis to a class 21.

The work I have done so far is:-

The chassis is from a Bachmann class 24 or 25.

Converted the bogies to EM with Alan Gibson spoked wheels.

Cut off Bachmann bogie sides  and Epoxied the Hornby bogie side onto the bogie frame.

Took off the central underfloor tank sides and replaced them with the Hornby ones.

Hornby body:- Cut out large bodyside grilles and roof fan and replaced them with parts from A1 Models etches.

Smoothed detail on the front and filled then added detail parts from A1 models.

(A1 Models do part no;s A2100 Bodyside grilles and A2101 'Nose detailing etch)

post-3520-0-88511300-1386629757_thumb.jpgpost-3520-0-83908100-1386629765_thumb.jpgpost-3520-0-48851500-1386629775_thumb.jpgpost-3520-0-73731600-1386629786_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures of the underside and the bogies:-

post-3520-0-32932500-1386630322_thumb.jpgpost-3520-0-09209500-1386630326_thumb.jpgpost-3520-0-11907900-1386630330_thumb.jpg

Edited by andytrains
  • Like 1

I'm sure someone somewhere does the correct profile cab window surrounds too.

I'm sure I've seen them before but can't for the life of me think where.....

Cheers.

Sean.

A1 do the window surrounds, but I am not convinced that they look any better than the way the Hornby ones are moulded.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

I also have the South East Finecast moulded window panels, but as you can see I have not got around to fixing them yet.

The loco needs spraying first.

One other job I did was to add the filler recess on the roof at the top of the side steps and a representation of the filler cap.

And Geoff.

Yes the model is a compromise, I think that is why we were all looking forward to the Dapol version. (As long it was correct), but looks like we may be waiting a very long time.

Edited by andytrains
  • Like 1

Guest 40-something

As a collective we could approach PH Designs to see if Pete would be interested in drawing up some etches to help produce a more accurate 21/29? 

Guest 40-something

As a collective we could approach PH Designs to see if Pete would be interested in drawing up some etches to help produce a more accurate 21/29? 

Go for it, I would support a model of a class 21 or 29.

I've just emailed PH Designs to see if they would be interested in producing a kits of parts to help us upgrade the Hornby model.  I'll post what reply I get

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Perhaps DJ models might take over the mantle?

If the problems with the Dapol Western are owt to go by, it might be better if they sorted that first?

Cheers.

Sean.

See post on DJM's thread, he himself has added a "like" and "agree" but I suspect it would not be easy for Dave to acquire the necessary research already in Dapol's hands, but why no comments from Dapol themselves?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In the April edition of model rail, there is an update on Dapol's model development programme, from their new head of product development, Richard Webster, covering proposed models in the 3 gauges they are involved in. In relation to the Class 21/29 the update says ' We have many of the drawings so CAD work will begin shortly'.  So it looks like Dapol are going ahead with these models. They are also moving forward with the Class 73s, the Class 121 and 122 and the GWR Railcar, so it looks like the slowdown due to the reorganisation last year, may have now been completed.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

It is a great photo. Least I now know the water filler hatch is round (front half anyway). Was it a usual occurrence for these to be left open while on the move? Also blue tops data panel

Hi there

All TOPS data panels are blue - there were no green ones

Cheers

Phil