Dapol Class 21/29

spackz

I reckon Dapol should do unpowered ones, as 50% of the time each loco was dead.

But what you are missing there is the 50% of the time it was working. 

A motorised model can be made to represent both types, especially with a control system like DCC; and what's more can fail while on the job, requiring another loco to be sent out to rescue it. Extra movements = more operational fun, even if it was complete Horlicks for the railway staff and passengers at the time...

But what you are missing there is the 50% of the time it was working. 

A motorised model can be made to represent both types, especially with a control system like DCC; and what's more can fail while on the job, requiring another loco to be sent out to rescue it. Extra movements = more operational fun, even if it was complete Horlicks for the railway staff and passengers at the time...

Oh yes indeed, which is why I'm an advocate of the Dyna Drive system when coupled to a pinion drive train. You can realistically "fail" a loco then send another to drag the now-unpowered one. It's a pity it never took off.

RWJ

Way cheaper to imitate failure electronically with the wide acceptance of DCC: much though I like the idea of a drive which disengages mechanically and not only allows freewheeling on the flywheel inertia, but is also reversible thanks to elimination of the worm gear from the drive line,  so that it will roll when dragged. Dapol can take a crack at this when every BR class has a RTR model, and a new USP or two might be required...

Guest Max Stafford

Not only that but if you do the 29,  you could produce extra Flettner roof vents  and sell little bags of them to vehicle modellers!

Dave.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure I mentioned it earlier, but the major parts of the cabs were aluminium castings, so identical on all three builds. It was what was between, beyond and under them that was different!

If that is the case Bernard then the tricky bit has already been done. Ie the "face" of the loco. I recall the group who were thinking of building a 1:1 scale version, were planning to use a pair of class 309 "Clacton" bogie frames as the basis of the running gear. Perhaps Dapol might already be in contact with this group ?

Whatever, i think Dapol have got the Scottish transition modelling fraternity very close to the holy grail.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If that is the case Bernard then the tricky bit has already been done. Ie the "face" of the loco. I recall the group who were thinking of building a 1:1 scale version, were planning to use a pair of class 309 "Clacton" bogie frames as the basis of the running gear. Perhaps Dapol might already be in contact with this group ?

Whatever, i think Dapol have got the Scottish transition modelling fraternity very close to the holy grail.

The chap who was behind the project was Ken Joy. I think he even found an original ex class 21 engine. The project folded due to lack of interest and money which is a shame.

Edited by peteskitchen

• 3 weeks later...

Hi chaps,

A very interesting development this last week with the 21/29 project.

I've been given a list of almost 100 NBL plans and designs of Diesel loco's that the Mitchell have found, which are un-catalogued.

I have ordered copies of all but a few of these (a few catalogued ones involving boiler supports and seat design and revised seat design :-)), and once I have them all I'll be able to let you know, but it does look very hopeful.

I have side on cutaway drawings, bogie drawings and cab window and cab front drawings now, so there are bound to be some that I can use in that lot.

Fingers crossed I can get it cracked over the following few weeks and update you then.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 6

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Regarding Dapol's recent statements etc. would anyone from them care to update us on the situation regarding the Class 21/29?

Anyone? Anybody?  Just trying to keep the thread and the subject alive! Any comments ex-Dapol Dave? (any possibility DJM might take this one on?

• RMweb Premium

Dapol do appear to be becalmed since Dave jumped ship, with many models being relocated to other manufacturers it would appear that Dapol are loosing out on some of the OO models. However it does appear that the early Warship for Kernow is making progress so there is hope for the CL 21/29

I didnt want to steal his thunder but I spoke DJM Dave a couple of months back, he will not be taking on the project at present.

Dapol still have the drawings that he acquired but no work was started on them by the time he had left. My personal opinion is that Dapol just bite the bullet and cancel these allowing Heljan or DJM take it on as I just cant see them progressing with it.

Guest 40-something

There's only one thing for it, everyone who has an old Hornby 21/29 start upgrading or converting it and someone will be bound to take on the project just as the last of us finishes.

Cheers,

David

What we need is someone to design and sell all the etched bits for the grilles, end and roof details to convert the Hornby Model to a 21 or upgrade to a 29.  Stick a Bachmann 24/25 chassis block under it and its a most enjoyable project