The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

1 hour ago, gordon s said:

No problem, it’s all going to plan. We saw Liverpool, come back to win from 3-0 down.

We’ve just got to do it in half the time.......:D

Dunno what all the fuss is about.......:D

WTF!! My flabber has been well and truly gasted. Did that really actually happen?  I was seriously considering modelling something less stressful like Patagonian Jam Butty Mine Narrow Gauge Electro-Diesels.

I have just had to calm the Patterdale down as I scared  her when the winner went in..

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Natalie said:

Reading South Tyne's accounts and enthusiasm for South Shields and Gateshead is infectious and really appealing.  I am seriously thinking that it would be a great idea to go and follow the Borough next season at home at least

Glad my ramblings have had a slightly positive impact on someone Natalie! I know I must appear like a stuck record, and some folk will no doubt find me boring, but I love the non-league game and I sure that you won't regret it if you do get down to Nuneaton next season. There is so much more to football than the 22 blokes (or ladies) kicking the ball around on the field. It is the shared history, culture, experience and community feeling that do it for me. I warn you, it can become addictive though! 

Well, at the other end of the scale, we have had two fabulous CL semi-finals this week. It is a terrible cliche but, football has been the winner. Excitement, drama, suspense, the agony and the ecstasy...... and that is just me as a neutral!! I dread to think what it must have been like for fans of the four clubs involved. Who needs Line of Duty or Game of Thrones!?! You can keep them thanks and I'll stick to football for my entertainment :derisive: It is nights like these that remind us why we love the beautiful game :dance_mini:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, lightengine said:

In God we trust, but in Lucas Moura we have faith!

You have a fine avatar indeed Sir. I keep chuckling to myself over the fact that Spurs are in the Champions League Final.  Considering the lack of transfer activity over the last 12/12, their current very poor form not helped by injuries, having lost an incredible 19 games this season, main striker injured for a period and  with a fraction of the budget of the others in the top 6, for Spurs to reach the Champions League Final is simply crazy. Imagine what they could achieve if they played well consistently?  

At half time at least I would previously thought that there was more chance of DJM producing all of their announced products to a superb standard at their intended time and any issues were insignificant and not any third party's fault than Spurs progressing.

I hadn't factored on Captain Kane though who has been reported as having gone into the dressing room and informed his teamates that it maybe wasn't their best performance ever and suggested that maybe they should try and play some football in the second half as you never know- it might work although in not so many words.  Whatever he may have said certainly appears to have worked- thank god... Spurs in the final! Wow..

I think someone needs to chuck a bucket of water over me as to use a cliché- im buzzing. I've not felt like this since discovering a previously (to me) unseen pic of Mk2f RSS M1800 or the discovery of a previously unknown set of Sunday workings on the Met Railway Watford- Rickmansworth service in the late 1920s  which were being operated by electric locos and 1 coach instead of the more usual double ended electric compartment stock- complete with the complex diagrams to provide the required locos and stock or seeing new borns being delivered whilst on a placement in Labour Suite when a Stooge.

You can't help though but have some sympathy for Ajax and their fans in the way that they went out so late- an awful way to lose. A consolation maybe for Ajax is that this won't be the last we hear of this team and their form this season suggests that they are likely to make a huge impact in European competition for the next few years at least. They are are a very good side who are likely to win something soon.

Unfortunately though only one team can get through and on this occasion I was one of those joyous rather than devastated.  Can I also say how classy and dignified some of the Liverpool fans have shown themselves to be by posting congratulatory messages on the Spurs forums?

With the Europa League final looking like it is going to be Chelsea v the Arses- has there ever been a previous occasion when the two major European finals ( or maybe when there were three- European Cup, ECWC and the UEFA Cup) have all the teams in the finals been English or at least British?

Edited by Natalie
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Natalie said:

A consolation maybe for Ajax is that this won't be the last we hear of this team and their form this season suggests that they are likely to make a huge impact in European competition for the next few years at least. They are are a very good side who are likely to win something soon.

Not with this set of players they won't, especially as they have failed to reach the final or win the cup.

They will go the same way as all previous Ajax, and Dutch, sides, there are many suitors for most of the current players, so sales will be made and Ajax will rebuild a gain and come back in a few years time.

Mike.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Come on you Spurs

59580898_2237482106309891_1733985332275183616_n.jpg

So you're predicting a "Rough Ride" for both teams in the Final....and Sergio Ramos isn't even playing in it this year......

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Amazing result for Spurs last night. Perhaps slightly easier than for Liverpool in the sense that away goals could be a help. But to do it in just the second half, WOW.

Delighted for Pocchetino who seems like a really decent guy.

And both teams got high-scoring results despite not having their main striker available.

So can Arsenal and Chelsea be another two English clubs to reach the other European Final .......we as a country might well not be able to negotiate our way out of a paper bag with the Europeans but at least we can play football better than them :fan: 

55 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Delighted for Pocchetino who seems like a really decent guy.

Me too, he comes across as a thoroughly nice guy. I don't really have a strong preference as to who wins the CL final but I would be really chuffed for Pocchetino if he can break the trophy duck. 

The sad thing is that, even after his heroics, Lucas Moura may not even start in the final if Harry Kane is fit. It's probably four from the five of Eriksen, Son, Alli, Moura and Kane. Personally, on recent form, I would drop Dele as I think he is in the poorest form. 

49 minutes ago, gismorail said:

So can Arsenal and Chelsea be another two English clubs to reach the other European Final .......we as a country might well not be able to negotiate our way out of a paper bag with the Europeans but at least we can play football better than them :fan: 

Ha.... I would caveat that with the argument that they may be British teams but they are filled with players from all over the world. Actually, maybe that's what a need in parliament..... a more diverse selection of politicians might have made a better fist of things!

Anyway, I am hoping Arsenal win the Europa League. Emery has a fantastic track record in the competition and deserves something from an impressive first season in charge. After two decades of Wenger being in charge he really is tasked with a massive role, akin to trying to turn round a supertanker...... it is going to take years and a number of transfer windows to put his stamp on the club. Added to that, I cannot stand Chelsea...... 

4 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Not with this set of players they won't, especially as they have failed to reach the final or win the cup.

They will go the same way as all previous Ajax, and Dutch, sides, there are many suitors for most of the current players, so sales will be made and Ajax will rebuild a gain and come back in a few years time.

Mike.

It's sad. The squad will be broken up and the best players picked off over the summer. Ajax have been a breath of fresh air this year and I have loved watching them. It is great for the wider game for teams from so-called lesser nations and leagues to be competitive and help take some of the limelight away from the monopoly of the Premier League and to a lesser extent La Liga. Sadly money talks though and Ajax will have to start again and rebuild. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

An absolute scandal but I'm not surprised, that both finalists only get 16000 tickets allocated each. The rest go to the UEFA family, go figure.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

An absolute scandal but I'm not surprised, that both finalists only get 16000 tickets allocated each. The rest go to the UEFA family, go figure.

to be sold on at vastly inflated prices to english supporters desperate for tickets when will Uefa ever learn  

The last three nights have seen such incredible drama and emotion. It's at times like this I feel sorry for people who don't like or don't understand football.....

3 hours ago, gwrrob said:

It's shocking. They have selected to play the game in a big modern stadium but then have given the supporters less than half the tickets. Just encourages black market activity and ultimately means the touts are the ones who benefit. 

The other scandal is the hike in costs of flights. It's sheer profiteering in behalf of the airlines. I heard Simon Calder on the radio this morning discussion alternative ways of getting to Madrid, with combining plane, train and potentially car hire all being suggested. 

Both of tickets and travel, folk will pay ridiculous prices though, I suppose on the basis that it could be a once in a lifetime opportunity, well at least for the Tottenham fans. 

• Agree 2

So the play-offs are well and truly underway now. They are awful really for fans but fascinating for the neutral. 

So I will nail my colours to the mast and say who I would like to win...... based on my usual predictions, I will probably be the kiss of death to each team but here goes.....

- Leeds

- Sunderland

- Forest Green Rovers

- AFC Fylde (lesser of two evils to be perfectly honest)

- Spennymoor

We will have to wait to see if the footballing gods are smiling on my chosen teams!  

9 minutes ago, Gareth Collier said:

And Berwick Rangers over Cove Rangers just to keep some English interest in the Scottish league.

Defintely. I'll be tuning in to listen to the first leg tomorrow. BBC Radio Newcastle have done a good job I'm raising awareness of Berwick's plight in recent months, as have Look North, so hopefully there is a lot of support behind them. They are on such a horrendous run mind, so I am worried. It would be really sad after nearly 70 years in the Scottish League, but there is no room for sentiment in football, as Notts County have certainly discovered. Hopefully they will rise to the occasion.