Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

Hi Ron, that really looks like a work of art. You must have the patience of a saint - and very nimble fingers!

Hi, Jason

Patience - Yes

Nimble fingers - not really. I use tweezers to place items, and then move into position and hold with the sharp end of a craft knife blade, whilst brushing solvent into the joinst - really need three hands

Cheers

Ron

• Like 1

The scale of the roof framework, signalling and Deansgate underdeck beams is just frightening.

What's really frightening is -

1.  Balancing over the layout whilst cutting and fixing two connections into the overhead central heating pipes for a towel radiator in the adjacent bathroom

2.  Looking at what still needs to be constructed on the layout, especially trackwork

Cheers

Ron

• Like 1

Hi, Jason

Patience - Yes

Nimble fingers - not really. I use tweezers to place items, and then move into position and hold with the sharp end of a craft knife blade, whilst brushing solvent into the joinst - really need three hands

Cheers

Ron

Ron

You need the big red spidery thin at Dawlish when they are finished with it to hold everything whilst you cut and glue.

Very glad to hear you are on the mend, I had a serious problem in July 2012, hospital sorted me out quite quickly and was back at work in a month. It took a few months more to be nearly fully back to normal. So please look after yourself

attachicon.gifIMG_0467.JPG

Close-up of the Terminal Platform signal and Platform Number Display Indicator

attachicon.gifIMG_0468.JPG

The Platform Indicator can display 1-9, to select the appropriate terminals on the indicator circuit board a small diode matrix is required. A before & after soldering and snipping picture

Hi Ron,

May I enquire as to what components you used for the the threater indicator and how you worked out the small diode matrix?

Your work is stunning, keep it up!

Simon

Hi Ron,

May I enquire as to what components you used for the the threater indicator and how you worked out the small diode matrix?

Simon

Hello Simon,

if you go back a few pages to Mess. #1708 that's where the build starts for the gantry signal. It may tell you what you want to know.

HTH

OzzyO.

Hi Ron,

Simon

Hi, Simon

The theatre indicators and their associated controllers were designed and built for me using SMD LEDs, etc., as my soldering skills are not up to the standard required for SMD components

The diode matrix was quite straightforward to design using the appropriate terminals on the indicator controller to display each of the characters 1-9. The controller is designed to enable characters 0-9,A-Z, 7 directional arrows and two disc symbols to be displayed

The wiring diagram for Gantry #1 is shown for interest -

post-10633-0-95530100-1395405404_thumb.png

You can see that each indicator has its own diode matrix. Switches are shown, but these will eventually be associated with a route setting diode matrix

Hope this helps in some way

Ron

The tie bars are complete, and painting of the beam assembly will be done tomorrow -

-

The corresponding wiring diagram for the two theatre indicators and three 3 aspect signals is shown here -

post-10633-0-19317400-1395619253_thumb.png

Edited by Ron Heggs

Thanks John

All I need now is an inverted periscope so this detail can be seen when it's installed on the layout  :scratchhead:

Cheers

Ron

Was just thinking no-one's going to see any of that, once the bridge is installed. Unless..... you don't have any plans for Manchester Corporation buses with miniature cameras..... do you?

Was just thinking no-one's going to see any of that, once the bridge is installed. Unless..... you don't have any plans for Manchester Corporation buses with miniature cameras..... do you?

There could be quite a few cameras needed to view a number of 'hidden' areas

1. The Train Shed Interior

2. Great Bridgewater Street 'Tunnel'

3. Trafford Street 'Tunnel'

4. GNR Deansgate Low Level Goods Yard

5. GNR Deansgate Warehouse Internal Platforms

6. Rochdale Canal Deansgate Tunnel

Cameras in tunnels could placed in vehicles/barges, within buildings the cameras would be best placed in upper corners

As the baseboard level is approx 1200mm affl. a little bit of crouching will allow viewing under bridges, and through windows

Ron

• Like 6

With so many outstanding jobs, I have been looking at the categories of work in order of percentage complete

Styrene structures

Card structures

Trackwork

Electrics, Track

Signalling

Canals

Roadways

Electrics, General

Electrics, Control

Lighting, Goods Yards

Lighting, Buildings

Lighting, Roads

Lighting, Station/Canopies

The styrene structures are the ones that can be completed first

With the exception of the Castlefield Viaduct which is on hold subject to work extending into the garden, the styrene structures still to be completed/started are -

External platform canopies - these can be completed/built, with fixing in place held until the train shed and platforms are completed

MSJ&AR Viaduct Bridge adjacent to the Cornbrook Viaduct Bridge - drawings are completed - parapet railings have undergone test cutting

This is fairly straightforward structure comprising 6 cast iron underdeck beams, which carries two tracks - the beams can be cut whilst undertaking other modelling tasks

This would leave only minor items to be constructed, which can be carried out when required

So whilst the construction of the remaining signalling/indicators on gantry #2 is being tackled, the MSJ&AR bridge will be built (the last bridge on the internal part of the layout)

• Like 4

A couple of pictures showing the bridge's location immediately adjacent to the Cornbrook Viaduct Bridge -

post-10633-0-33330600-1395786159_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-73510800-1395786171_thumb.jpg

Elevation drawing of the underdeck beam -

post-10633-0-30991100-1395786173_thumb.png

Cutting drawing for two of the six beams -

post-10633-0-35388400-1395786175_thumb.png

The overall length of the each beam is 522.75mm

• Like 7

Hello Ron,

super work as always.

Have you got any more photos showing any more parts in place on the layout?

OzzyO.

PS. looks like the cutting M/C is getting a good workout.

Edited by ozzyo

Ron,

I just love how you post drawings at 22:30, then photos of the first four cut beams at 22:46.  Rather quicker progress than I could hope to achieve!

Andy

Hi, Andy

The beams were being cut, whilst I was posting the photos/drawings, and rather than wait until today to post the cut beam pictures, I was able to photo the first four of the six before the midnight hour (1 hour later here in Spain)

Today's work has been to cut the lower arch beam laminates - 12 off, one each side of each beam. The first beam has been fitted with these laminates and the edging strips

Have to draw and cut the lower flanges for the beams - the four inner beam flanges have curved portions on both sides where the vertical flanges occur - the outer two beams have these curved portions only on the inner sides - you can just make this details out on the first photo in post 2047

Cheers

Ron

Hello Ron,

super work as always.

Have you got any more photos showing any more parts in place on the layout?

OzzyO.

PS. looks like the cutting M/C is getting a good workout.

Hi, Ozzy

Hopefully, by this weekend should have the train shed roof fixed in place, and awaiting the final windbracing details

... and the CLC Deansgate Bridge complete with the finalised gantries to follow next week

Otherwise, still modelling off layout

Cheers

Ron

• Like 2

Warning to all that follow this post,

Did anyone see the list on page 82, with things to do. We all should stock up on these material right now, as when Ron gets hold of them, we won't  be getting any of them for ages.

Fantastic work as usual Ron.

• Like 1

Warning to all that follow this post,

Did anyone see the list on page 82, with things to do. We all should stock up on these material right now, as when Ron gets hold of them, we won't  be getting any of them for ages.

Fantastic work as usual Ron.

This will definitely start a run on materials  :scratchhead:

May have to source them from ??????  :O 

Well at least the styrene market should recover now  :mosking:

Thanks for the humour

Ron

What's really frightening is -

1.  Balancing over the layout whilst cutting and fixing two connections into the overhead central heating pipes for a towel radiator in the adjacent bathroom

2.  Looking at what still needs to be constructed on the layout, especially trackwork

Cheers

Ron

Hi Ron,

1. Balancing over any layout can be nerve wracking (especially if its not yours), but after the work you have put in must be at least 3-4 times worse.

2. Having seen the way & speed you have worked at, I'm sure that the list will shrink quite rapidly with whatever you will be working on at the time.  It's amazing how much you have done, if I haven't looked at the thread for a few days.

Colin

Hi Ron,

1. Balancing over any layout can be nerve wracking (especially if its not yours), but after the work you have put in must be at least 3-4 times worse.

2. Having seen the way & speed you have worked at, I'm sure that the list will shrink quite rapidly with whatever you will be working on at the time.  It's amazing how much you have done, if I haven't looked at the thread for a few days.

Colin

Hi, Colin

I think my progress is pretty slow - mainly due to other commitments -

1. Re-designing and re-fitting out the shower area (plumbing/tiling, etc.), and fitting a towel radiator and re-balancing the CH system (Daughter #3 apartment)

2. Cutting and fitting a metal fascia to the electric supply box (Daughter #3 bar/cafe)

3. Removing one of two gas regulators fitted in the same line in the gas supply line causing low heat output from the gas boiler (Daughter #1 villa)

4. Transferring clothes between charity shop and their store (couple of days each week)

5. Mountain walking one day each fortnight (Today)

6. Usual house/garden/pool chores

... and that's just this week

Don't watch TV, so the evenings are free for modelling, well almost - except Wednesday nights when we all go out for a meal

Sometimes feels like I should retire from retirement  :sungum: 

Will post more on the bridge progress tonight

Cheers

Ron

• Like 5

This will definitely start a run on materials  :scratchhead:

May have to source them from ??????  :O 

Well at least the styrene market should recover now  :mosking:

Thanks for the humour

Ron

Actually Ron, we like to thank you on creating a masterpiece of railway modelling.