Rob's 7mm Rolling Stock Workbench

Further successes on the spray painting front - this is using Citadel (Games Workshop) Bleached Bone.

This is the Slaters 14 ton Class A tank wagon from the beginning of this thread (not the scratch build just in case you though I had sneaked in and finished it). it has languished in primer for the best part of a year waiting for me to get some transfers for a class A (and ultimately why I started scratch building the class B - I had the transfers)

Slaters14tontankwagon003.jpg

Slaters14tontankwagon001.jpg

• Like 8

Have you used this colour as a primer? Or is this the base colouer for the tank? Looks splendid anyway. I hope that axle box is not fixed.

Hi Peter, that's the base colour for the tank, it was primed with Halfords grey from a rattle can.

Fortunately the axlebox is sprung so just needed twisting back into line.

I just need to paint the under-gubbins black and add the transfers.

• 1 month later...

Havng been and bought some ply sheets for my forthcoming layout I have also done a bit of work on one of my part built kits.

This is a Slaters Tar Tank and I used the Brassmasters jig to set up the axles and while I was waiting for the glue to dry I made a replacement filler cap fitting as the Slaters plastic one looked quite vulnerable.

TarTub001.jpg

TarTub004.jpg

TarTub006.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

While at the cottage over the last few weekends I have been batch building three Midland Cattle wagons from Slaters kits of various vintages. The oldest I picked up from last years bring and buy at Halifax show.

Shildon12001.jpg

Shildon12003.jpg

Shildon12100.jpg

Shildon12101.jpg

MidlandcattleWagons001.jpg

All have been built pretty much to the instructions. However all needed the sole bars packing out with plasticard and then filling back to fit, as they were all slightly too short.

I also did a bit of variety with the bars in the sides/doors, making a couple up with bars fitted from the outside and one with them drilled through. - Although I did chicken out of the Slaters method of cutting slits at the back with a razor saw and then filling with car body filler after inserting the bar.

Now it's back to the J63

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Work on the J63 has been on hold for a week as I have been away in North Yorkshire (I did manage to fit in a visit to the NRM at Shildon and 2 visits to the NYMR in the week though).

Despite being away modelling didn't stop and I have a few Slaters/Parkside kits completed or almost.

The first is a Slaters Midland 5 plank open from a very old kit that I picked up at the bring and buy at Halifax.

In an effort to improve it I scribed the inner planking and added representations of the inner strapping from plasticard strips rivetting them with a scriber. Despite it's age the mouldings are really crisp and it went together very easily. I am very pleased with the result.

LNERWagons001.jpg

LNERWagons004.jpg

Next up is a Parkside 12 ton unfitted van. The only changes I did with this was to file the brake levers down so that they better represent the various bends and drilled out the lever guard to represent the holes for the securing pin.

LNERWagons008.jpg

LNERWagons013.jpg

Next is a Parkside LNER 20 ton Steel hopper wagon. This I built straight out of thew box and despite it's many parts to make the hopper it allwent together very easily. I just ad to add one strip of plastic to make up a gap where the two sections of hopper didn't quite mate properly. This is one that I had put off for a while due to the many bits. Now I wish I had just got on with it as it's made up in to a very nice wagon and I think a few more of these may be in order.

LNERWagons009.jpg

LNERWagons010.jpg

LNERWagons011.jpg

LNERWagons012.jpg

Last but not least is a Parkside LNER Horse Box. This is one of Parksides most recent releases and to be honest it shows with the level of detail and the lack of flash etc.

There is provision for the small opening window in the groom toilet that was a feature of these boxes so I cut a circle of plasticard using an olfa circle cutter and then cut segments to represent the edge guides for the opening window. I aslo added a strip under this to make up the top of the frame for the bottom pane.

LNERWagons006.jpg

LNERWagons005.jpg

I still have the brake yokes etc to add to this one but as I am painting it in LNER colours I wanted to be able to drop the wheels out to paint them teak brown before they are trapped by the brakes.

• Like 3

Nice work. These plastic kits are wonderful do do whilst away from home. You need so little with you to be able to build them.

I particularly like what you have don with the horse box opening lights.

• Like 1

Just looked in on this again, some nice work there. I particularly liked the new filler cap in brass.

How much was the Brassmasters jig and are they still available?

Just looked in on this again, some nice work there. I particularly liked the new filler cap in brass.

How much was the Brassmasters jig and are they still available?

Hi Jeff, they are £10 (£5 cheaper than they were - not often in today's climate that things get cheaper). I don't know as to availability, they had sold all the batch that mine came from but that was a few weeks ago so they may have another batch by now.

Those seats look wicked, my good lady gave a very negative reply when I suggest she do the same for me. :no:

Thanks Ken,

I am very fortunate that Chris takes a big interest in my hobby. The diorama in the last few photo's is all down to Chris, apart from me cutting the webbing on the track and respacing the sleepers.

• 2 months later...

While I have been steadily working on Nellie (not much progress this week due to being worn out and not having the patience) , Chris has been weaving her magic on the Connoisseur Implement wagon.

ImplementWagon002-1.jpg

ImplementWagon003-1.jpg

ImplementWagon004.jpg

ImplementWagon005.jpg

ImplementWagon006.jpg

ImplementWagon007.jpg

And last but not least I did this earlier today - I have an almost complete Parkside LMS Brake van on the go. And while I built most of it at the cottage I brought it home to solder some of the brake fittings together.

While rummaging in a drawer for the backhead for Nellie I remembered that I had bought aa few cast brake van stoves from Slaters at one of the shows. So I got one out, soldered some copper tube in for the chimney and then gave it a good clean with shiny sinks. Then I immersed it in Carrs brass black.

Once I had rinsed it to stop the reaction I dryed and rubbed it with some paper towl resulting in this:

ImplementWagon001.jpg

Which to my mind gives a great representation of the black lead that my mother used to use on our cast stove when I lived at home.

• Like 5

• 5 weeks later...

While I have been catching up on painting my back log of rolling stock, Chris my good lady has been weathering some of the ones that I have put the transfers on.

Weatheredwagons002.jpg

Weatheredwagons003.jpg

Weatheredwagons004.jpg

Weatheredwagons008.jpg

Weatheredwagons009.jpg

Weatheredwagons010.jpg

Weatheredwagons011.jpg

Weatheredwagons012.jpg

Weatheredwagons013.jpg

Weatheredwagons015.jpg

And last but not least, this is my favourite from this batch of photos

Weatheredwagons016.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 months later...

Work on the turntable has come to a temporary halt. It's almost ready for painting but I need to change the filters on my spray booth extractor.

So to keep my hand in, I started this kit on Saturday. It's one that my good lady bought me for Christmas last year - a Connoisseur North British 20 ton brake van.

NBRBrakeVan003.jpg

NBRBrakeVan004.jpg

NBRBrakeVan012.jpg

Jim only provides a floor for the veranda section (not really a veranda on this one but you get the idea). So I made one up from some brass sheet. To bring it to the same level as the other floor I used some spare angle bracket from the turntable. Waste nowt!

NBRBrakeVan006.jpg

NBRBrakeVan007.jpg

And inside the van

NBRBrakeVan011.jpg

NBRBrakeVan010.jpg

NBRBrakeVan005.jpg

I reinforced the roof with some square section nickel bar to make it clip into the roof. I will also add some longer springy bits down the sides to help the middle sit down properly.

NBRBrakeVan014.jpg

I also added some scrap etch strip to the back of the step supports and the brake brackets.

NBRBrakeVan013.jpg.

This is where I got to last night.

Today while sitting in the smallest room in the house, I had the thought. "I wonder if I have any photo's in my Tatlow LNER Wagons volumes that might give me any missing details." Have you ever wished that you'd had that thought earlier......?

Tatlow revealed a second set of handrails below those on the non veranda end. Not too difficult to add thought I. Then I noticed the very distinctive curved ends to the vertical handrails and the fact that they don't sit at 90% to the side of the van.

NBRBrakevan.jpg

Oh Bovver!!! Says I.

So the next job tonight is to see if I can make a jig to bend 4 of those - before I take the ones I made earlier off.

Edited by Rob Pulham
  • Like 6