Outon Road

RBE

It was good to meet Cav and his good lady on Saturday. I was really impressed with Outon Road and it's cohesive nature where nothing jarred; it's really well presented and I'm sure will be warmly appreciated come Members' Day

Despite its diminutive size, this little gem made me later than I'd have liked getting back to Arnold Lane to give Peter a break on Sunday! An excellent essay in small space modelling, not jammed full of insignificant detail, but more than enough to have me frequently thinking "I like the way that's done..". Top class.

I also need to decide on where the ground level will sit relative to the trackbed!! So much to decide!!

Cheers

Cav

Hi Cav, as you have a small stream on the existing board, the lie of the land is always going to have a water course at its lowest point. Thus your ground level shouldn't really go lower than the trackbed again unless another watercourse is included. Sorry but that's topography! How about a (hump-backed) farmers access bridge as a scenic break? Different enough from the bridges you have but big enough for purpose?

C6T.

post-6894-072023800%201289768282_thumb.jpg

Hello

Great pic, you should place this one under the How realistic are your models? Photo challenge section, the natural light makes this look superb.

Though I see you do have one of the layout in there!

I looked at this layout at Showcase on the Saturday, cannot believe how small it is.

It is always nice to seen smaller layouts, to help people like me keep my ideas in check for when I get round building my own one!

Thanks

SEEYA

ANT

Hello

Great pic, you should place this one under the How realistic are your models? Photo challenge section, the natural light makes this look superb.

Though I see you do have one of the layout in there!

I looked at this layout at Showcase on the Saturday, cannot believe how small it is.

It is always nice to seen smaller layouts, to help people like me keep my ideas in check for when I get round building my own one!

Thanks

SEEYA

ANT

Hi Cav,

I agree with the previous poster the pic of the 08 parked up is awesome :) It really does look real!! Look forward to seeing Outon Road in the flesh one day. Great modelling dude, keep the pics coming!

Cheers

Arnie

Despite its diminutive size, this little gem made me later than I'd have liked getting back to Arnold Lane to give Peter a break on Sunday! An excellent essay in small space modelling, not jammed full of insignificant detail, but more than enough to have me frequently thinking "I like the way that's done..". Top class.

Hi Cav, as you have a small stream on the existing board, the lie of the land is always going to have a water course at its lowest point. Thus your ground level shouldn't really go lower than the trackbed again unless another watercourse is included. Sorry but that's topography! How about a (hump-backed) farmers access bridge as a scenic break? Different enough from the bridges you have but big enough for purpose?

C6T.

Yeah i agree. Ive decided since then that all of the scenics will be above or level with the track on the new board. As the main marshalling yard is supposed to be off scene to the left I think ill be going more industrial with the area. Instead of a road bridge which is a bit over the top i think as i have two already i think i will hide the hole in the backscene with a steel girder footbridge. I intend to curve the track away from the viewer on this board leaving room to the front to put a bit of obstructive scenery. The idea being that the trains are lead in and out of the scene rather than themselves being the scene allowing the eye to take in the surroundings and hopefully integrate the stage and actors into something more organic rather than seperate entities.

Cheers

Cav

Well I finally managed to get the baseboard for the extension done today. First loco to visit being 47210 sporting its nice new lazerglaze windows!

post-6894-0-90576300-1308504605_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-29860400-1308504638_thumb.jpg

cheers

Cav

The existing layout goes to the nearest end. A plate metal footbridge will go over the hole at the far end and continue on a public footpath behind the weird boat shaped outline ive drawn. This will be the gatehouse/offices to the main yard. There will be a security gate to the near side of that with a bloke in a little gate box type thingy. As for anything else im not 100% yet.

Cav

Its a vitrains 47. Theres a thread under repaints and weathering section on it. I got some of shawplans lazerglaze for it at Demu earlier this month. I will be starting the scenics very soon. I want to get this done for model rail live in september so need to really get cracking!

• RMweb Gold

Looking forward to seeing how the extension develops. If anything like 'part 1', should be great!

I like the odd shape at the rear / fiddle yard exit - should make an interesting change to what is normally seen.

Tonight i have drawn up and printed my trackplan that i have stuck down to my baseboards. i wanted the main line curve to be a lot smoother than the curve i got through the station so thought this the best way to do it. I find respacing the sleepers makes keeping the track curves smooth very difficult. ill see if its any easier tomorrow when the glue has dried. Im also going to give the main line a very slight superelevation to get that nice feeling as a train curves around the bend. The sidings will remain level. Anyway after sticking the templates down i was in awe of the size of the crossing. I wanted the sharpest curve to be no more than 4ft radius over the points, which worked lovely but the largest point in the crossover has turned out to be a 10ft radius! switchblade tips to crossing v is a hairs breadth off of a foot. Its a beast. It takes up a fair bit of play room but its too gorgeous to get rid of!

more pics soon!

cheers

Cav

Very impressive - perhaps you could post detailed shots of the turnout construction as you go? Incidentally, you may be interested in the latest update to my Kielder topic - have shamelessly nicked ideas drawn inspiration from Outon Road for it.

Thats a crossover and a half dave. id like to have room for a layout that would eat that!

I haven't got room myself yet, hence no physical progress, but were due to move house in 2 years so that will be a prerequisite for the next house.

Dave

Still thats gonna be a beast.

I will post pics as I go with the construction of the crossover, I'm going to build it in place unlike my previous ones which were built for another project originally. Im no track building expert or rivet (chair bolt) counter in any way so don't expect a definative track building guide but as long as it looks the part I'll be happy!! These ones should flow a bit better than the other ones as these are designed to fit.

Cav

• RMweb Gold

The cross-over will be a good feature and having a long crossing will certainly look better and more realistic that the 'standard' Peco configuration. Will be interested to see how you get on with the track construction.

Is it me are more people now looking at hand-built track?

I think they should too. The two on board one were the first points I ever built. They have their quirks but perform faultlessly so Im happy and look cracking in my opinion. The new ones will be even better. I think with the quality of the rtr track available from SMP, exactoscale and C and L there is no excuse for not having a go at building some pointwork to complement it. I certainly had no intention of slapping peco points next to it. The thing is a layout is as much a model as the stock and for the few nights it takes to build a point or two it is well worth it in the long run I think.

Cav

• RMweb Gold

I think that you are right there - hand-built track is not too difficult to make now that there are excellent products from SMP / C&L / Exactoscale as you mention. I have made a C&L point myself and very pleased with the way that it turned out, but need a few more for a future layout. I have just started a new layout myself and will be using SMP (I was given a few points and several lengths of flex track, so rather than let it go to waste will use this) - a new thread will follow at some point when a bit more progress has been made!

Archived