Outon Road

RBE

• RMweb Gold

Hi Cav,

I would think a mesh fence or security fence (such as the PHDesigns) would look good along the top of the embankment. Just thought that a concrete panel fence may look 'too-heavy' on top of the embankment.

A couple of dishes would look, plus all the associated junk in the back yards would keep you busy for a while!

Yes Richard I agree. I was just chucking the concrete panel in as a thought really. I like the security fence but not too sure about its widespread use in the mid 90s. Ive not seen many photos from back then with it on. If anyone has pics I will happily use it as it would look brilliant.

Cav

ps yes Neil we talked about the satellite dish thing and yes a lovely set of old big white ones from the period will do nicely. Already got loads of garden junk ideas.

I would have thought from personal observation that modern security fencing is more noughties than nineties - except in areas with big problems. Victorian iron railings would be another possibility, especially with a pathway at the back of the houses. Don't forget the old prams, dead christmas trees and other paraphanalia that would have been chucked over the fence.

Hi Cav,

I would think a mesh fence or security fence (such as the PHDesigns) would look good along the top of the embankment. Just thought that a concrete panel fence may look 'too-heavy' on top of the embankment.

A couple of dishes would look, plus all the associated junk in the back yards would keep you busy for a while!

Magnet is right a mesh fence then you can see old puchbikes, shopping trollys and a pram behind! Andy

I must say that a mesh fence in my view would look better. Modern day 'Palisade' security fencing has only become widespread along railway properties in recent years. Of course I'm happy to be corrected, but I would go for the mesh/chainlink option.

HTH

Im not to sure about sat dishes now Cav, it sounds a bit rough in this neighbour hood with all the junk everywhere :derisive: , as for the frncing i think possibly the black wrought iron type maybe.

iv tried to look for soem pics but cant find any, typical ay?

Neil

I like the idea of the victorian railings. Im thinking Id like to pursue those. Does anyone have and idea who does nice ones?

Cav

Im not sure its a majorly rough area just low budget council terrace. Im sure one of them can afford sky. plus ones had a skylight fitted and another is having roofwork done so must have bought the houses from the council. Im not gonna be over junking things.

Ratio do good wrought iron type fencing, known as GWR spear fencing. Im using this along the rear of my platform on my small single track main station theme. I would suggest however that it might look a little low in height for the lineside on your embankment Cav, especially considering the OHLE that you're going to be putting up. The low fence height would pose a serious hazard to people being albe to contact the wires or by vandals throwing junk at them.

The above are purely thoughts of course, but it's worth considering.

Cheers

Hello

Great pic, you should place this one under the How realistic are your models? Photo challenge section, the natural light makes this look superb.

Though I see you do have one of the layout in there!

I looked at this layout at Showcase on the Saturday, cannot believe how small it is.

It is always nice to seen smaller layouts, to help people like me keep my ideas in check for when I get round building my own one!

Thanks

SEEYA

ANT

Reviewed your thread and saw this image. - possibly the most convincing photograph I have seen on this forum to date.

Only giveaway is the use of figures - Trying to limit myself on the amount seen on dioramas like the generic Bachmann ones we all know about - remove these and this image cannot be bettered.

Thanks Wayne Ill give the fencing a look. Health and safety wasnt the animal it is today back then. I might get away with it. whats the scale height would you say? There used to be loads of high railings about back then.

It appears you have a deposition to figures. I think they are needed to add life to a layout. I take your point on the Bachmann ones though as lots of people have them. I might look toward Preiser in order to add some variety.

Cav

Thanks Wayne Ill give the fencing a look. Health and safety wasnt the animal it is today back then. I might get away with it. whats the scale height would you say? There used to be loads of high railings about back then.

It appears you have a deposition to figures. I think they are needed to add life to a layout. I take your point on the Bachmann ones though as lots of people have them. I might look toward Preiser in order to add some variety.

Cav

Morning Cav,

I've just been up into the attic to measure a piece for you and it comes out as 21mm in height which in 4mm scale would be around five feet high. That seems about right for that style of iron railing. Theres some on a station along my local line so I'll have to go and measure it sometime for comparison.

Hope that helps.

Cheers Wayne. At 5ft I think it would look high enough and Ragtag your idea with the wall is a great one and can add me a ft or two should I feel the standard height a bit low. I'll get a pack or two of the ratio ones to try out I think. How much do you get in a pack by interest? I need about 2 and a half feet worth.

Cav

Cav,

You get four lengths in each pack and they around 175mm each in length. The total pack length is quoted as 700mm, so one pack may just be enough for your requirments?

The idea with mounting it on the wall is a good one. I've not seen that done before, plus it gives you some extra height.

Cheers

Well Richard I think Ill add extended posts that go right into my insulation foam for stability but I do like the small wall idea. Maybe a small strip of foam card covered in scalescenes brick which I can then stick the post extensions through into the foam insulation below. I think Neil though that the brick pillars are more architectual and although seen in such configurations I think wouldnt necessarily have been done at the back of these dingy railway terraces.

Cav.

Yes Richard I agree. I was just chucking the concrete panel in as a thought really. I like the security fence but not too sure about its widespread use in the mid 90s. Ive not seen many photos from back then with it on. If anyone has pics I will happily use it as it would look brilliant.

Cav

ps yes Neil we talked about the satellite dish thing and yes a lovely set of old big white ones from the period will do nicely. Already got loads of garden junk ideas.

Have you seen these - look excellent

Ian

http://www.scalescenes.com/products/T004-Furniture-and-Lineside-Junk

Indeed Ian, they do look very nice. The lineside junk is very good are the building materials.

Scalescenes certainly have produced a lot more since I last looked at them. I'll seriously consider using there stuff on my next layout (which is kind of already underway, alongside the current one).

Yes Ian I have seen those. Very good indeed. The old washing machine and cooker might work well in the back yards. I might have to add those to my scalescenes library. Perhaps an couple chucked in the no mans land beside the derelict end terrace all overgrown with brambles would look the biz.

Cav

Yeah the houses were the missus idea actually as a contniuation of the backscene subject on the previous board. A good one I think. there are lots of details to add which I like.

Cav

Archived