Outon Road

RBE

Well itll be that shape but two stories with a flat roof about 6ft larger than the walls. The real one was silver aluminium panels all over but I dont know whether to do it like that or do anthracite aluminum panels to the upper floor with terracotta tiles to the ground. What do you reckon?

Cav

Yeah im seeing the terracotta and dark panels more i think. I dont want it to be too much of a contrast. tbh i thought the real one looked a bit bland all silver. even the window frames were silver on that.

• 4 weeks later...

Well Ive canned the idea of the gatehouse. I just couldnt get it to sit right scenically. I am therefore going to build a more traditional office with a kbightwing gatehouse actually controlling the access. In the meantime Ive knocked up some scalescenes terraced house backs and built up the landscape using my trusty insulation foam. Ill post some pics later when I get home. This build is going really slowly at the mo, I need a good kick up the butt really. In the meantime heres a little Oxford ragwart I had a little 5 mins doing last night. Need to make a load of these and some rosebay willowherb. What do you think?

post-6894-0-69229200-1312797784_thumb.jpg

Cav

Cheers guys. Its dead simple really. I started off with a few scrubbing brush bristles and stuck them end on to the plasticard base with superglue. You could stick these straight to the scenery I would imagine. Then I painted them with dark olive acrylic paint and whilst still wet I blew on some static grass fibres to make the thin stem leaves. Just a few blobs of superglue was added to the tips and the plant dipped in green foam flock (woodland scenics) which makes the flower heads. A few small dabs of yellow paint to the foam makes the flowers themselves which gives a nice yellow to the top with green underneath.

Cav

ps its oxford ragwart. rosebay willowherb is purpley pink. Im gonna try some of that later.

Haha no probs Richard. Im not a botanist either but the mrs is into plants big time. I watched a program a few weeks ago which talked about how oxford ragwort had spread extensively especially around railways a roads whee the seed is carried along and dispersed by passing trains. Oxford ragwort flowers are a bit like a big yellow daisys I suppose. As for Rosebay Willowherb you cant get rid of it for love nor money. My old garden had loads at the top where we didnt go. They are tall plants, over 7ft sometimes, with long thin leaves and a long pointed plume of pinky purple flowers at the top.

Cav

Rosebay willowherb, however pervasive, is great for native pollinators (although detrimental to some other plants as a result). Interestingly, in many places it is better known as fireweed - the stories go that it's due to it's tendency to ignite from the sparks of passing steam locomotives but it's actually due to it's ability, as a pioneer species, to colonise bonfire/forest fire sites etc.

• RMweb Gold

Haha no probs Richard. Im not a botanist either but the mrs is into plants big time. I watched a program a few weeks ago which talked about how oxford ragwort had spread extensively especially around railways a roads whee the seed is carried along and dispersed by passing trains. Oxford ragwort flowers are a bit like a big yellow daisys I suppose. As for Rosebay Willowherb you cant get rid of it for love nor money. My old garden had loads at the top where we didnt go. They are tall plants, over 7ft sometimes, with long thin leaves and a long pointed plume of pinky purple flowers at the top.

Cav

Rosebay willowherb, however pervasive, is great for native pollinators (although detrimental to some other plants as a result). Interestingly, in many places it is better known as fireweed - the stories go that it's due to it's tendency to ignite from the sparks of passing steam locomotives but it's actually due to it's ability, as a pioneer species, to colonise bonfire/forest fire sites etc.

Well, you learn something new everyday!

I now quite fancy making a few for Orchard Road!

Well the completion of the extension is now not a priority so Ill be making a load of these for Outon Phase 1. Ill do a step by step on here I think although Im playing a bit by ear as it is.

Looking forward to seeing you guys efforts!

Cav

A quick update on progress. Work is going slowly. I fact its stopped now until after Model Rail Live as Im concentrating on getting my stock sorted. Anyway a couple of photos showing the lie of the land and a slightly extended row of terraced house backs. The 90 is showing a sign of things to come haha.

post-6894-0-86562600-1313150827_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-65057600-1313150878_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-32895700-1313150921_thumb.jpg

Cav

Cheers guys. I actually feel like Im getting somewhere. They are indeed scalescenes houses. They do look the business but not cheap once you factor in card costs, paper and printer ink. I used a whole standard colour cartridge printing these with their instructions. Still cheaper than an equal number of rtp houses though and adaptable to suit what you want. I added a rooflight, a hole in one roof (someone having a rooflight fitted) and the walls and gates to the back yards which werent part of the kit. I cant wait to get trains moving on this section.

Cav

Thanks Hugh. You know what Id love to post more updates but I find it somewhat difficult to stay on top of. I get far too immersed and by the time I remember to photograph anything Ive built it. haha. Must try harder. Some people on here are really frequent posters and I admire that. I just know if I stopped that often to photo stuff Id never get done! I will endeavour to improve on matters.

Cav

Hi Cav, I like the look of the embankment with the houses on top, Poss another wall in front of the houses to form an ally way along the back yards. But still looking forward to seeing it finished mate. Andy.

Cheers Andy. Yes that is exactly my plan to give a back alley for rear access. Itll be fenced off from the railway by either mesh fencing or maybe concrete panel fence not decided yet. The houses are just stood there at the mo not fixed in place. Just showing position thats all. I have a bit of landscaping to do below them yet.

Cav

Archived