Outon Road

RBE

its great to operate and i even managed to get my 09 on there, well Cav did weather it laugh1.gif, think my favourie loco to run was the 31, i just like how it sounds, really did enjoy to it.

Neil

Hi peter. I glue all of the sleepers to the template before I start with an impact adesive such as evo stik or bostik. once thats dried its going nowhere soon. then you can solder and glue til yourhearts content.

Cav

Thanks Cav,

Thought as much, looks like I had better go and do one now.:D I read Jims tips too so I will keep that in mind.

Looks like you had a great members day. Neil has taken some nice pics.

I did notice that the Bachmann class 47s (not sure if they are yours) are missing the brake linkage on the bogies, Bachmann supply them in the detail pack and I noticed a lot of people aren't fitting them, possibly beacause it's not clear what they are for. It certainly makes a difference when they are fitted, I also file the bufferbeam cowl a bit so it's not as deep.

Hope you don't mind me pointing this out but it does make for a better Duff.

Here is one of my Bachmann Duffs hopefully you can see that one bogie is missing the extra bits.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-79524200-1309681829_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-17443300-1309682118_thumb.jpg

Cheers for the advice Peter if I get any Bachmann duffs Ill add them however those two I ran were not mine. I personally prefer the look of the vitrains 47 so will probably stick with those unless I get a good deal on a baccy.

Cav

Cheers mate I'll have a look.

I've finished off trimming and aligning the track today together with the dropper wires for power, ready for some preliminary weathering of the track with the airbrush before I start to add the MAS ducting and OHLE bases and lineside walls etc prior to ballasting. I'm still not sure what to do in the back of this one yet. I have a vision of modern industrial unit'ness to the left with the rail footbridge that hides (disguises?) the fiddle yard entrance leading to a path to the left of it that disappears behind the building. Its the portion to the right which will lead upto the road bridge one Phase 1. There are some trees on phase 1 next to this but do I carry some over so as to indicte the road cutting through a small copse, or stop them at the bridge? The missus thinks some old terraced house backs on a hill down from the road running with the line would look good, tipping its hat to the houses in the ID backscene. She thinks the addition of residential will make a nice change from loads of industry. I tend to agree but how I get it to flow is another story. It may all change yet!!

Cav

Hi Cav,

Came across this layout purely by chance whilst looking at the pics from the members day. I'm quite impressed by what you have achieved in quite a small space. I did have an idea at one time for an urban station with a couple of sidings but at the time I didn't think it would work, however you have shown that it can.

Is it based on a prototypical area at all?

I'll be watching this one with interest. And who knows, after my steelworks layout is finished maybe I'll dig out my old plan for the urban station.

Keep up the good work and lets have plenty of pics.

Cheers

Hi Wayne thanks for the great comments its amazing how many people have managed to miss Outon Road. Glad that people are still discovering it though. Its not based on a prototype location but is based on a ficticious line north of manchester connecting somewhere near Preston to Leeds. It is supposedly an extra urban area near to the WCML and a very nearby freight yard. Once the wires are up we'll be getting electric locos hauling freight and stopping over in the headshunt for a breather before heading off on some more revenue earning duty.

As for progress I have now tonight airbrushed the track. I always do this prior to ballasting in order to bed the rails in tone wise. The wooden sleepers and rails are given a liberal coat of dark brown which is my own mix of humbrol 26 matt black and railfreight grey. Then when this is done I hit the sides of the rails and chairs with a dusting of straight humbrol 26 to give the rails a track dirt feel. I very rarly do orangy rust on rails as tbh Ive not seen it in real life. Although rails do rust its the dust and dirt pulled up by passing trains that we see. Reddy or orangy colours just look wrong to me. Youll see how it beds in as we go along but phase 1 was done this way so if you look back youll see the effect Im trying to create. There will be another airbrush application once ballasted which will give the rails a little more light.

Anyway progress shots!

post-6894-0-99772000-1309991001_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-36608500-1309991029_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-89107000-1309991066_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-22798400-1309994027_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Cav

Yes ive got a few ideas. As the fiddle yards are only 3ft long I am kinda stuck with 3 car units. considering a few things including building a class 323.

Hi mate for the ballast ill be continuing the main line in buff woodland scenics to match the phase 1 board. It'll have a healthy shoulder on the viewing side though as the rails tip away from you. The sidings will be a varying mix of the woodland scenics and aquarium sand with the headshunt well bedded in sand and maybe a little terracotta DAS to give an almost mudded up feel. Ill then add some longer grasses growing on the track, more so towards the buffers where trains are less likely to go especially the weedkilling variety.

Cav

Hi Cav,

Nice work on the new track layout. This is really inspiring me to think once again about my plan for a small urban station on a 4' board. I have one such board ready built up in the attic. However i need to finish the small steelworks layout first before I start that.

A quick question, do you draw up your own point templates or do you buy them?

Also would it be possible for you to provide us with links to your rolling stock project pages? So far I have found only your general workbench thread.

Looking forward to the next picture update.

Cheers

Hi Wayne I draw.my own point templates on CAD and print them to scale so I can stick them to the baseboard. Currently I dont have a stock thread other than the general one. Previously Ive done individual posts on anything I remember to document. TBH I find it hard to keep pn top of posting and photographing progress. I usually end up finishing it before I get chance to photograph anything lol. Ive made a real effort lately to post and my new phone has a good camera to I can snap away rather easily.

I agree with you Richard. Rusty rails are reserved for unused track. I have no problem rusting up discarded rail and the like either.

Going to lay the foundations for the road and yard entrance at the front later and perhaps make a start on my archtectual gatehouse!

Cav

Hi Cav, it was nice to meet you, Neil and Chris at the Members day last Saturday and see the excellent Outon Road in the flesh. I also enjoyed seeing some nice traction running on it too!

The track is looking very good indeed and I agree with previous posts the colour looks just right. I look forward to seeing that lovely Metals 60 passing over it!

Cheers. It was great to chat on saturday. Im liking the 56 you came away with too. Sadly the 60 was a commission so wont get a chance to rumble into the yard. I really must get myself one though it was stunning.

Thanks for the good feedback chaps. Anyway Ive managed to grab an hour tonight to start on my contempary yard gatehouse/office. Its probably a controvertial design but I think it will make a nice change. Its loosely based on a gatehouse I designed for real about 4 years ago. I intend to do a full office interior and light it. Heres how far I have gotten. Still loads to do including the 2nd storey.

post-6894-0-29462100-1310163431_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-88642700-1310163459_thumb.jpg

Cav

Looking good.

Is that Foamboard you are using for construction? What is your opinion on it and how would one attach plastic sheet to it? (Wills/Slaters etc).

Cheers

PS: I realise your layout is on a 4' board, but what are the full dims? Sorry if I have missed that in the thread already.

I love foamboard. Its robust stays very flat and you can work with it very easily. I would stick plastic sheet to it with a good quality inpact adhesive such as bostik all purpose which is what I am using to stick the foamboard together too. It doesnt react too harshly when applied to the actual foam either which means you can glue along the edges.

As for the layout the phase 1 board is 1220mm x 410mm with 2 x 950mm fiddle yards 1 at each end. The new section is again 1220mm but tapers from 410mm to 600mm at the left hand side. Overall when its done will be around 14ft long.

Cheers

Cav

Archived