Post a Bargain! (no discussions / questions) (was Bargain Hunters)

Anyone know where I could get a really cheap mk3 or similar coach to practice stripping and respraying? Too scared to start on my class 170 with no practice. Thanks in advance.

I've got a Hornby (ex-Lima) scale length Mk3 in Intercity grey livery that would be ideal for you, I think? It got dropped so the paintwork on one side is scuffed and one of the footsteps is broken off, but you'd be welcome to it for the cost of postage. :) Drop me a PM and I'll drag it out of the bin. :)

• RMweb Gold

These look on the face of it to be ideal for point operation - what sort of power supply / control mechanism would be needed? (I know absolutely zero about the use and operation of servos).

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Hi,

Here's another: HobbyKing Ultra Micro Servo £3.48.

I've bought some of these but haven't had time to try them (4.2V maximum supply, different connectors from larger servos).

Regards

Nick

These look on the face of it to be ideal for point operation - what sort of power supply / control mechanism would be needed? (I know absolutely zero about the use and operation of servos).

Regards,

John Isherwood.

They can vary, but a lot are around 5V iirc.

As for control. Megapoints do control boards to control upto 12 points with servos. MERG also make kits that can control servos.

Hi,

Here's another: HobbyKing Ultra Micro Servo £3.48.

I've bought some of these but haven't had time to try them (4.2V maximum supply, different connectors from larger servos).

Regards

Nick

These are the servos I've bought and used before when building a trial servo operated Peco point (Turnigy TG9e; £2 each, 4.8V power, with normal servo connector, shipped from within the UK).

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigytm-tg9e-eco-micro-servo-1-5kg-0-10sec-9g.html?___store=en_us

They come with a range of arms, and when held in place by a u-shaped piece of Aluminium screwed under the point, work very nicely, as demo'ed by Dave Fenton:

I didn't use MegaPoints, as it's still quite expensive - I programmed my own Arduino to control the points as part of the exercise.

Alan

Edit: formatting video

• RMweb Gold

Regards,

John Isherwood.

AFAIK they take the same power as 90 degree servos.

Mountings can be made from aluminium channel or angle, I'm not aware of any off the shelf brackets for model railway application.

Mike.

Mountings can be made from aluminium channel or angle, I'm not aware of any off the shelf brackets for model railway application.

Mike.

Mike,

This is off topic and you know how I hate that ( :nono:  ), but I do do an etched bracket: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/100836-servos-for-points/page-2&do=findComment&comment=1956927

Still have some left.

Might be worth discussing servos for turnouts on the topic linked above to avoid going any further OT?

Guy

Mike.

Off the shelf servo brackets for model railway applications and a bargain ? 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Servo-Brackets-Point-turnout-Control-Laser-Cut-Kits-x-10-Kit-Finescale-/122447264360?hash=item1c826cfa68:g:hFwAAOSw3v5Ynjx5

Kernow are doing some great Hornby prices eg R3328 S15 BR E/E black £69.99, R3353 Sentinel Balfour Beatty £39.99 and Raven Q6 BR black both early & late £89.99 as well as coaches, wagons & Skaledale. Thet are also doing Bachmann & Heljan  - worth a look!

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

This is off topic and you know how I hate that ( :nono:  ), but I do do an etched bracket: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/100836-servos-for-points/page-2&do=findComment&comment=1956927

Still have some left.

Might be worth discussing servos for turnouts on the topic linked above to avoid going any further OT?

Guy

Thanks chaps, but not linear servo brackets. (As far as I can see?)>

Mike.

Amazing yes until you try to remove the loco from the packaging. Even, whilst using great care, all 3 tender lamp irons came adrift on removal. When will Hornby & Bachmann learn we all haven't the dexterity of concert violinists, let alone skilled modellers. This whinge aside both King & coaches are excellent models. It was interesting to compare the King with its Lima counterpart of the early 80's

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Earlier I saw at Hobb-e-mail shop reuglat "Mad sale" offers.

Since the reworked website I do not find those sale actions.

Am I  blind or are they stopped?

Thank you.

Jan

I can't see them,. maybe something that is going to be starting soon.

• RMweb Gold

I think the reference is to an earlier offer.

In the absence of a special offers section I use the search facility on Hobb-e-mail and type in "special", "half" or "sale". Usually retrieves some interesting items that would otherwise be difficult to find.

Good luck,

Steve

Hi all, 

At the West Somerset Railway Association shop in Bishops Lydeard from Thursday 27th-Sunday 30th April we are holding a sale on all model railway items. This coincides with the Spring Steam Gala. 

We are offering an additional 10% off all marked prices. All locomotives and sets are already 10% off so we are offering 20% off on locos and sets.

We also have some items that are discontinued with the manufacturers and are difficult to find, why not pop in and see what you can find. 

All proceeds go towards projects on the railway including overhaul of GWR Small Prairie 4561.

Thanks,

Seb

• RMweb Premium

We are offering an additional 10% off all marked prices. All locomotives and sets are already 10% off so we are offering 20% off on locos and sets.

To be (unnecessarily?) pedantic, if you take 10% off a price that already has 10% off, you end up with 19% off, not 20%.

Archived