Heljan Beyer garratt

Hugh Flynn

I've ordered mine 2 weeks ago and there was a loose part in the box. I've sent it back for a replacement, and I've received an other one with at least 6 loose parts even very big ones. I'm very disappointed in the quality of this loco.

post-24665-0-43984200-1417623157_thumb.jpg

Edited by gabrielthorn

I've ordered mine 2 weeks ago and there was a loose part in the box. I've sent it back for a replacement, and I've received an other one with at least 6 loose parts even very big ones. I'm very disappointed in the quality of this loco.

attachicon.gif20141202_190111_small.jpg

Ahh! The infamous Heljan "get half of a RTR" locomotive.

They seem to be unable to fasten the parts securely....

In Sweden, Heljan made the F1200 steam loco, and most of them had reverted to a kit stage when delivered.

I guess it would have been better to have Bachmann make them instead....

Got my Garratt back to Hattons on Wednesday, and a replacement arrived yesterday.

The original stopped running suddenly, seemed like rear motor failure.

I can't fault Hattons customer service, replacement or refund offered, with no problems, they were really spot on.

Some opinion on here is that attempting to repair yourself is all part of modelling, my opinion is that how do manafacturers improve things if they never get kit back to find the issues?

Sadly, I speak from experience on that one through my job. Don't forget, for most manufactures, carrying out repairs or mods invalidates the warranty, so even if you solve issue A, if an issue B crops up, you're generally out of luck.

Anyway, I still hope (maybe naively) that this great model will be fine. 2 hours running yesterday and I'll run it again this morning.

Fingers crossed then........

Mass-production of detail can also mean mass-production of faults as witness motorcar recalls. It only takes the failure of one engine unit to stop a Garratt. I have no doubt the price would have been much higher than £200.00 had Bachmann or Hornby produced it.

Edited by coachmann

Mass-production of detail can also mean mass-production of faults as witness motorcar recalls. It only takes the failure of one engine unit to stop a Garratt. I have no doubt the price would have been much higher than £200.00 had Bachmann or Hornby produced it.

Agreed. But maybe a higher price and no issues would have been the answer?

Although, I know people with 'premium' cars, and they have plenty of problems with those as well!

Garratt been running for an hour, sweet as anything.

Mind you, I hope I haven't got to spend the rest of my days timing a flippin' model!

• RMweb Premium

My front end arrived back home today. Hattons replaced the unit but obviously had no water tanks with British Railway on them as the original was returned (I had a secret mark on it). On the bench test appears to be OK so will fully assemble the Garratt and test tomorrow. No explanations in the return and an email to Liverpool replied that they do not know the reason for the failure. 

Peter

• RMweb Gold

My front end arrived back home today. Hattons replaced the unit but obviously had no water tanks with British Railway on them as the original was returned (I had a secret mark on it). On the bench test appears to be OK so will fully assemble the Garratt and test tomorrow. No explanations in the return and an email to Liverpool replied that they do not know the reason for the failure. 

Peter

Which in effect says they cannot be bothered to find it.How reassuring is that ?

To be fair to Hattons they aren't required to find the reason for a failure but as they have commissioned the model their job is to get it back to the manufacturer with a "sort and explain" rocket attached....

All the very best

Les

Someone earlier actually found a problem with the valve gear, which jammed. This would cause the motor to stall, and if left powered, burn out. So saying the motors are crap is a rather strong statement to use.

Stewart

1 out of how many failures? I have had valve gear jam and the (decent) motor has always survived if turned off asap.

I suspect any strain put on one motor, whatever the cause, would be overshadowed by the other motor doing the donkey work . In other words, Insidious motor damage would not be noticeable until complete failure. It is surely a unique occurrence in the RTR model railway world for so many folk to strip down one particular model and reassemble it or fit new motors.

• RMweb Gold

To be fair to Hattons they aren't required to find the reason for a failure but as they have commissioned the model their job is to get it back to the manufacturer with a "sort and explain" rocket attached....

All the very best

Les

As an interested bystander...that's to say one who would have bought one by now if he had some reassurance it wouldn't happen to him.....I think forum members have been more than fair to Hattons. It is their model and theirs to market 'fit for purpose'. Despite the numbers of failures reported on this forum over several months,there has been no evidence from them that they show any willingness to seek a definitive solution  to the difficulties that have been suffered.It is their model,whomsoever botched the job.With beneft of hindsight.....and that's a precious thing....did it not ooccur that with a model of such innovation and complexity testing pre production samples adequately before release would have been a sensible move ? Hoping the problem will disappear in the mists of time isn't helping anyone and will damage Hatton's reputation in the long term.If there is a fix,then where and when is it ?

• RMweb Premium

My Garratt has generally been good, some small bits have come off and to be honest I haven't a clue where they have come from so they join the other bits in the box. Still looks good though and I still have a bag of bits to fit on. The worst thing that has happened was a bit of valve gear came disconnected, I have glued it back in place and everything runs fine. The question is...would I buy another Garratt? Sadly no, the quality is not good enough, considering this model had such a long gestation period I would have expected a better finished product. But I am not complaining I like the model and the positives outweigh the negatives.

I have one; like many models nowadays some small bits fell off, but as I was handling it rather a lot I'm not surprised. Easily fixed though, I expect that nowadays anyway with the fragility of modern builds. Not talking Hornby-Dublo here! I have run it back and forth a fair bit on my layout (about 18', nowhere to go beyond that yet) through complex trackwork and am more than happy with it. I then stripped it right down to its component parts, so that it could be sprayed and dirtied. Re-assembly involved stripping out unnecessary (to me) lights and DCC wiring, so that it became a much simpler wired loco for DC.

As for cost? To me it is 2x loco, at £100 each. Not excessive, probably a tad cheaper than a new loco (ie one end) would cost today. Complexity? Noooo - a simple 2-6-0 with outside valve gear, and somewhat plainer "body". 2x Bachhy 76xxx without tenders seem more complex and fiddly to me. Yes, together, it is a big beast. Not a newbie for Heljan, they have done steam before.

Dodgy motor? I honestly don't know, but having heard of valve gear jamming, I really think that is more likely; when seized, and this is important, if power is kept on, most motors would fail. Agreed if you see it stop, you switch off. I also saw evidence on mine of poor electrical connections when I stripped it down. As I work in electronics, I am aware of what to look for there. Though none of mine failed in service, it is possible they would have, though I will never know as I have totally rewired it.

Should Hattons investigate? Well production is finished, so what would be gained there? If the quality overall is poor, worst case is they could refund everone's cash and take the hit. but we really don't know how many faults they have had (we are only really hearing of faults on here, not of the total build), To their credit, they are replacing locos, or refunding. They probably are repairing them too if they have a simple fault.. How many retailers do that and never tell you the original fault, in all lines of goods sold?

Bottom line, 1) do I regret the purchase? NO.

2) Would I buy more? YES, but I have no need for any.

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well I am hesitant to say that my Garratt is still running beautifully and with less chance of failure (I hope) that the valve gear clearance is sorted and last night I took it to the British Railway Modellers of Australia meeting near me where it ran with 43 minerals around and around a member's layout, and at a speed much higher than I have previously run it.  Of those who attended though, 4 had bought them and I think only mine was running successfully, others had various issues with front end failures, derailing etc.  I think it is disappointing that such a nice looking loco, with obvious potential to run very well, has had so many issues, but perhaps that is just a symptom of the market which continues to demand lower costs and hopes that we are delivered perfection.  Unfortunately that market direction is bound to fail.

In the end, it's your money and you have the right to demand a product that is fit for purpose, but this hobby is all about what you make from it yourself, and I for one will be continuing to work on my own locos to achieve the level of running that I require, whether that voids the manufacturer's warranty or not!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

.......... and I for one will be continuing to work on my own locos to achieve the level of running that I require, whether that voids the manufacturer's warranty or not!

Cheers

Tony

Given the slow rate of progress on my layout, most of the manufacturers’ warranties on my locomotives have expired before I get around to doing anything that would void the warranty.

• Like 1

Well I am hesitant to say that my Garratt is still running beautifully and with less chance of failure (I hope) that the valve gear clearance is sorted and last night I took it to the British Railway Modellers of Australia meeting near me where it ran with 43 minerals around and around a member's layout, and at a speed much higher than I have previously run it.  Of those who attended though, 4 had bought them and I think only mine was running successfully, others had various issues with front end failures, derailing etc.  I think it is disappointing that such a nice looking loco, with obvious potential to run very well, has had so many issues, but perhaps that is just a symptom of the market which continues to demand lower costs and hopes that we are delivered perfection.  Unfortunately that market direction is bound to fail.

In the end, it's your money and you have the right to demand a product that is fit for purpose, but this hobby is all about what you make from it yourself, and I for one will be continuing to work on my own locos to achieve the level of running that I require, whether that voids the manufacturer's warranty or not!

Cheers

Tony

I think  I  have  mentioned  before  that perhaps  the  Garratt  was  produced  to  a ' price point'  in order  to  gain  enough sales to  make  the  project  succseful in terms of  sales, however it is  notable  that  other Heljan  Continental outline H0 steam locos  do attract  a much higher selling  price,, a  Danish  4-6-2 Pacific loco listed on Heljans website  costs 3695 Danish Krone  which  is well over £300 ( if my calcs are  correct)

Edited by Stevelewis

I guess that many would have bought the Garratt at a higher price.

Just look at the price of a GMAM Garratt.... and I own two of those....

Would  that  be  the  DJH  RTR Version in  H0?  if  so  VERY  nice  and 5 times the  price of a BR Garratt?

Any Photos?

I think  I  have  mentioned  before  that perhaps  the  Garratt  was  produced  to  a ' price point'  in order  to  gain  enough sales to  make  the  project  succseful in terms of  sales, however it is  notable  that  other Heljan  Continental outline H0 steam locos  do attract  a much higher selling  price,, a  Danish  4-6-2 Pacific loco listed on Heljans website  costs 3695 Danish Krone  which  is well over £300 ( if my calcs are  correct)

£393 at the moment Steve, so you could almost have 2 B-Gs instead.  Used to get over 11 DK to £ but that was a while ago and that sort of rate  hasn't come back since sterling dropped. Litra E is a very nice model but I can't quite justify nearly £400. Sadly.  :no: 

Reading comments on this forum had me scared while I was waiting for my Garratt to journey to Australia. Anyway, it's here and it's not a bad runner for the complexity. I found it would stall on a left hand radius, this seemed to be the wheels pulling away from the pickups - a bit of bending has sorted this. I would hate to experience engine failure to seisure  because I'm not sending it all the way back to the UK.

Oddly, I've found that it can run over really complex point work with no problems, but the simplest mainline points will derail the front pony truck. As others have mentioned this needs some weight. I have a Eureka models R class that suffers the same issue, and Casula hobbies in Sydney have developed lead weights that snap into the pony truck bolster. I bought a set of these hand the R Class now runs like a dream. Someone should produce something similar for the Garratt. interestingly the Eureka R Class also had a looooong and painful gestation with many unhappy customers when the model was finally released.