The changing face of Bristol

• RMweb Premium

We could be getting hydrogen powered trains soon!*...

*in the next 30years according to the low quality, gutter scraping sourced informative and highly regarded journalistic crud that is the Bristol Post...

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristol-could-see-hydrogen-powered-1107925

The word "could" appears very frequently in that article.

*in the next 30years according to the low quality, gutter scraping sourced informative and highly regarded journalistic crud that is the Bristol Post...

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristol-could-see-hydrogen-powered-1107925

Points West had already featured them last night.

Isnt it a pity they havent found a way to power trains on male cow manure, we could have a train each.

Edited by royaloak

I can think of at least 10 things which could be used in Court against Jonty and the tree surgeon, it will be interesting to see what the outcome is, especially as some of those trunks look likely to roll down the bank at some stage.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If Network Rail have to reinforce the embankment I assume they will make those who paid for the tree surgeon pay for the cost of doing so. It would be a great pity if they had to sell their houses to pay it (thats if their houses haven't slid down into the cutting). And if their houses did suffer in any way due to the removal of those trees what will their insurance companies do?

• RMweb Premium

I noticed the cleared bank when I passed through Montpelier at the weekend, and it made me wonder what might have prompted Network Rail to do this work. So thanks for the link which explains it all.

Personally I'd like to see all lineside trees cut down so we can enjoy views from train windows - but this is clearly not the way to get it done.

Edited by Andy Kirkham

• RMweb Premium

I see there's also a story about re-opening to Henbury in three years time  https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/north-bristol-new-rail-station-1128417 . It suggest that along with Henbury, North Filton and Ashley Down will be re-opened (I think there has been doubt about the latter).

The station will form part of the Metro West Phase Two project, which will see a section of line between Bristol Parkway and Henbury reopen and an increase in the number of services on the Yate corridor.

Presumably the reference to Parkway is a mistake, and it should have been Filton Abbey Wood.

• Like 1

I see there's also a story about re-opening to Henbury in three years time  https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/north-bristol-new-rail-station-1128417 . It suggest that along with Henbury, North Filton and Ashley Down will be re-opened (I think there has been doubt about the latter).

The station will form part of the Metro West Phase Two project, which will see a section of line between Bristol Parkway and Henbury reopen and an increase in the number of services on the Yate corridor.

Presumably the reference to Parkway is a mistake, and it should have been Filton Abbey Wood.

As a student at Uni in Bristol I remember riding the 'last train' from Henbury way back when - good to see it's lined up for reopening soon. And my then-fiancée (and now wife) had a flat pretty-much opposite Montpelier station. Happy days!

• Like 1

Well the paper usually gets something wrong - today's issue on the subject of the 'Henbury loop' showed a photo of a down train just before Patchway tunnel!

A lot of work is going on at Muller Rd and Lockleaze for the 4-tracking. Some of it looks to be rather substantial for temporary use. A station at Muller Rd was thrown about a while back. Both have a good catchment area and both would be handy for cricket and football.

I noticed the cleared bank when I passed through Montpelier at the weekend, and it made me wonder what might have prompted Network Rail to do this work. So thanks for the link which explains it all.

Personally I'd like to see all lineside trees cut down so we can enjoy views from train windows - but this is clearly not the way to get it done.

The Horseshoe curve would offer good views if the trees were cut back. Let hope that when(if) the Portishead line re-opens trees are cut back from the outset.

• RMweb Gold

Re: the tree issue, I will admit to a degree of sympathy for the residents, although not for the way it was eventually carried out.

I can quite believe that they had been trying to get something done 'for 20 years'. Unless something is a structural and/or operational safety risk these days, there is usually no budget to get anything done within NR, as the vegetation management budget was being cut year-on-year even while I was working. In some areas, it virtually got to the stage where they had to keep funds back to ensure that signal sighting work could be done etc.

Additionally, the number of people within NR who are responsible for liaison with local residents and for progressing their requests has fallen to just about one key post to cover the whole of the Bristol/Gloucester/Worcester area. That post doesn't do the actual work, obviously, but has to act as the main (or only) point of contact for the myriad of local groups and individuals who need to contact Network Rail. Even I couldn't get hold of the person concerned on numerous occasions (no response to calls or e-mails), as that person was so busy dealing with other stuff. As such, I took it upon myself to act as an alternative point of contact for some community groups, including some in the Bristol urban area. Although I would still have to liaise with the same people internally, at least it gave the community groups a feeling that 'someone cared'.

If the residents are correct and NR did give permission for the trees to be removed, then I can quite believe their allegation that NR didn't send them a list of approved tree surgeons (these are firms who are licensed and trained to plan and undertake their work on NR infrastructure).

A few years ago, one of the Community Rail groups actually paid for NR to remove some lineside trees etc. from the Gunnislake branch, so as to improve the views from the train. NR would never have prioritised this work, but were happy to take the Community Rail money and did a good job, in fact.

I also asked for a list of priority locations on other Community Rail lines in the area and gave these to the team responsible for vegetation management, so that when they did have funds and an opportunity to do some cutting back on that particular line, they could at least deal with the requested locations, once any other safety-related work had been done.

Edited by Captain Kernow

• 2 weeks later...

This may have been announced, although it has not percolated through to my brain, but I notice an IEP depot is being constructed at Stoke Gifford. When that is complete and HSTs are no longer the mainstay of services, what are the plans for the facility at St Phillips Marsh?

• RMweb Gold

This may have been announced, although it has not percolated through to my brain, but I notice an IEP depot is being constructed at Stoke Gifford. When that is complete and HSTs are no longer the mainstay of services, what are the plans for the facility at St Phillips Marsh?

The IEP depot is effectively operational now and has been complete for many months.

As far as I understand it, SPM will be retained for sprinters and the like. Certainly before I retired almost two years ago, that was the plan.

Edited by Captain Kernow

Stoke Gifford IET Depot has been open in one form or another for about a year now, initially hosting the test trains then from 16th October 17 the operational passenger traffic Class 800s.

At the moment there are three on and off each weekday, with what are now occasional test trains to and from North Pole.

The plans for SPM is to continue to service the 'West' DMU fleet for the foreseeable future, maybe even the short formed HST sets when they come into service.

• Like 1

About time. A shame that the tavern building cannot be integrated into the new development but I guess it's too far gone.

Certainly. Last time I was in the rush-hour queue for the roundabout on the the bridges, I was looking at the tavern building and a roof tile slid off...

• RMweb Gold

Thankfully steam still lives on in the city centre. A cracking day on the BHR today, lots of happy half term passengers. We've noticed lots more footfall since the old Western Fuel Depot was redeveloped into housing and the 'CARGO 1 and 2' restaurants and shops.

post-898-0-62382200-1518899303_thumb.jpg

• Like 13