Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Where do I go from here...?

Guest Max Stafford

Guest Max Stafford

I'm sure I'm not the first modeller to pass this way, but I'm wondering if I'll ever achieve anything concrete at the moment. I really would like to make a proper start on my layout project, however...

I have a couple of projects on the go for other people, generally re-paints of large scale items.

I have lots of locomotives to re-number and weather etc.

I have locomotive and rolling stock kits to build.

I will need to start planning track layout and think about constructing buildings.

I want to do all of these things, but I have a job that involves long shifts which will become longer from January. This seriously limits the time I have as most of my days off largely involve catching up on domestic tasks I'm generally too goosed to do during the course of a working week that can vary between 40 and 64 hours. This means that my energy levels are pretty low - most of the time, but particularly at his time of year.

Therefore this is largely a question of time management - something that I was never great at, but seems to become increasingly difficult as I get older! Which is why I'm now looking for suggestions as to how I can make some headway with my project!

Any suggestions gratefully accepted!

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

I rather think that I've lowered my expectations somewhat. 3 out of 7 baseboards built, virtually no scenery, but I've nearly finished my Silver Fox Falcon that I bought before Heljan announced they were making one. I still don't beat myself up about the slow progress, life's too short.

I'm sure I'm not the first modeller to pass this way, but I'm wondering if I'll ever achieve anything concrete at the moment. I really would like to make a proper start on my layout project, however...

I have a couple of projects on the go for other people, generally re-paints of large scale items.

I have lots of locomotives to re-number and weather etc.

I have locomotive and rolling stock kits to build.

I will need to start planning track layout and think about constructing buildings.

I want to do all of these things, but I have a job that involves long shifts which will become longer from January. This seriously limits the time I have as most of my days off largely involve catching up on domestic tasks I'm generally too goosed to do during the course of a working week that can vary between 40 and 64 hours. This means that my energy levels are pretty low - most of the time, but particularly at his time of year.

Therefore this is largely a question of time management - something that I was never great at, but seems to become increasingly difficult as I get older! Which is why I'm now looking for suggestions as to how I can make some headway with my project!

Any suggestions gratefully accepted!

Dave.

I don't have your reasons for not starting, and I don't really have any others either. I've tried to analyse just why it is that I always put off starting a layout, and have so far not found a reason - it just doesn't happen. I feel that once I get started I will find the time, but I just need to kick myself. I keep thinking maybe this weekend, but it never happens. I think it's clear to me that I need to make available some time slots when there is nothing else to stop me working on things. I need to break the task down into sub-tasks and concentrate on those, and not worry about the bigger picture so much (but not forget it comepletely!).

Don't know if this helps but at least you know there are others out there also trying to start

Stu

I would be inclined to get some track laid even if it meant having to substantially reduce the size of what I had planned. For me, all the time spent detailing and weathering stock isn't of much use if it all spends it's life in boxes.

Even if you consider this layout "temporary", you will still be learning and improving your skills and, of course, you will have somewhere to admire your other work.

........unless you are one of these people who really don't particularly like layout building" and are only happy when you're working on rolling stock in which case, I would take some time out with a pen and paper, break it all down into manageable chunks and decide on the order in which you are going to tackle them.

I know how you feel. I get into this state with various aspects of my life and, if I don't deal with it, I get depressed and end up doing nothing!

• RMweb Gold

The idea that I would offer advice on such a subject would be a good laugh for anyone who knows my Olympic laziness, but I do suggest that a bit of planning might be a start. Why not try to identify a set of tasks, then prioritise them. Commissions for others must have some degree of priority, obviously, but can you identify how many hours each commission is gonna take? Even a ballpark figure could then be divided by how many hours you can commit per week, so you can see a target end-date for each of the items. I suggest you politely decline further work for others, citing a need to get your own modelling house in order if your motivation - and quality results - are to be maintained. Then try looking at your own model workload. Identify small, achievable-in-an-hour-or-two-type tasks. You will have something to feel good about every time you sign off one of those! Regard these as your acorns, and you may well find their success breeds more energy for bigger, more daunting tasks.

Do not underestimate the time of year factor - SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) is a recognised condition, and although you probably aren't a real sufferer, Winter affects most people's energy levels. Shortest day is now only a fortnight away - after that it all just gets better!

Think longer term.

I wonder if the scale of your project is daunting - that pile of kits, vast roster of locomotives to be prepared. When in reality, you could cut that down considerably to a skeleton representative service to be getting on with. It'll also cut down the short-term expense, by spreading cost, time and effort over a longer period.

3-4 months ago the scope of work involved in getting my layout into running order with stock, new fiddle yards etc seemed unachievable in less than a year, but by figuring out a basic priority list and some back-up options, I'm ahead of (self-imposed) schedule.

You can do the same with the trackplan, make it a 'zoned development', eg:

mainlines - phase 1 ... x months

branch - phase 2 ... additional z months

goods yard and mpd - phase 3 ...additional z months

A big project will take a lot of time to complete by yourself or by a select few (ask JimSW, I guess!), but that's the nature of it.

The danger with applying some sort of project management methology (however informal) is that you could easily sicken yourself. Enjoy the journey.

I can only suggest what I do - make an Excel chart (you don't have to use Excel, basically you just make a list of what needs doing, I just use Excel as it allows me to make changes, use colour and print it out neatly).

For me, layouts are projects that I have to drive towards completion. I get bored of layouts quickly (I usually have the next two or three planned out whenever I'm building one), so I have to almost hurry up and get them completed before my interest in the next project takes over! So I type out a list of the things I need to do and then put notes in the next column of aspects related to that job.

soundslikeaplan.jpg

(ignore my whacky colour coding, and yes I have made this deliberately quite tricky to read biggrin.gif )

I appreciate for many people that layout building is more of a creative, 'organic' approach, and I fully understand that many will look at this and think 'That's far too organised for me, it's almost like a management project and not an enjoyable hobby', but I know me, and I know that unless I work out in advance what needs doing and how I'm going to do it I'll just amble along, jumping from job to job, and basically just faffing about and not tackling the big jobs that will really make the layout move towards completion. In other words - this works for me. If I know I'm going to have some modelling time at the weekend I can just look at my list and see what the next job is - I still enjoy doing the bit of modelling, just because it's part of a list doesn't make the modelling any less enjoyable.

The other advantage of doing this is that it gives you time to really think about in what order jobs need to be done (another advantage of using Excel, you can move things around easily) and hopefully avoids making potentially costly errors (I'm sure many of us can relate to that moment during layout construction when you suddenly realise 'Ahhh, I should have done that job first before this one'). Also, it allows you to put down stuff you think of relating to each job. So you can add notes about the look you want to achieve, references to photos, things you need to check when doing that job (eg, check the autocoach handrails will clear the platform edges when building the station). I personally find it very useful, and the fact you can see the jobs getting ticked off means you can also see progress when the layout itself may not be indicating that to you. I'm someone who needs to see progress othewise I just get disheartened.

If time management is an issue, simply add in a column for how long you think each job will take. For my RMWeb 2010 challenge layout I've already done just such a plan by breaking the layout construction into monthly chunks.

• RMweb Gold

Dave, a kindred spirit. I've not got a solution, I don't even have the excuse of long working hours or weird shifts. I've just got so many projects on the go I don't know where to start - so usually I don't start + when the slightest thing goes a bit awry then it's an excuse to pack up. I know it's not an answer to your problem, just wanted you to know you're not the only one, and by a long way I'll bet.

First: Identify what your desired outcome is. See Note A.

Second: Quantify what resources you need to achieve this outcome.

Third: You deliberately chose to ignore the time element when you answered 'Second,' so estimate the realistic time element required to achieve the desired outcome.

Fourth: At this stage you're no doubt feeling more dis-spirited than when you started, but there's a wry smile playing over your face because you know where this is leading.

Fifth: Much like doing a custom crop of an image, there's now 75% of what you're already doing or have planned inside the cropping selection, and 25% falling outside. It's the 75% where you're gonna focus your efforts, because you're going to pull out the key elements of THIS in order to downscale the project scope and actually feel good about doing what others have already said above. A case study comes after Note A. You possibly know the story already.

Note A: eg. shunting plank, tailchaser, scale model of Kingmoor 1967, display cabinet of all 50 class 50s as they appeared on July 26th 1970. This sounds silly but it's actually crucial to sort out what ultimately fires your modelling mojo.

Case Study

A modeller has produced a diorama based on a real location with future exhibition appearances in mind. The planned length is 30' and all boards have been completed with trackbed and scenic elements done as a body in white when a house move and departure of layout-building chum to a job in another part of the world intervene.

Kids arrive, careers change and the mothballed layout is unusable in a garage space. Being so prototype-specific it's unsaleable, so sits, unused in said garage space causing frustration for the entire household. The boards are rearranged into a roundy, structures reluctantly removed and an altenative but no less ambitious scheme to recreate Dudley Joint GW/ LNW station started.

Before long, in excess of 125 locos are amassed, including tenuous things in significant numbers. The most advanced runners are Lima 20s - wow is this the future? Hang on, what's this Bachmann Class 46 - weighs a ton and runs like something continental. Oh dear, Heljan are releasing a Hymek now. And this trackplan is getting on the nerves because yet again there's too much trying to cram into the space.

The stifling conundrum is: continue to detail and weather upwards of 80 locos, in the knowledge that these are possibly going to be rendered obsolete within a decade? Throw in the towel from frustration? Have a long hard look at what the modeller really wants from the hobby?

The last-named course is by far the hardest. But the subject of our case study chose this path, ended up disposing of 70% of the fleet to date, changing prototypes and downsizing.

I'm not saying for a moment that the last path is appopriate or needed: it's not (I had to to give myself the boot up the backside). You're already up to date with technology, except the DCC bit, AFAIK. Likewise here. You've probably overgrown the fleet side of things - haven't we all? So why not go with the advice of other posters: break the job into bite-size pieces. Always keep your 'desired outcome' in mind, but don't let that nirvana act as a barrier to entry - don't let fear of attempting perfection stop you doing anything at all. Getting some track down and seeing how things play out towards your mind's eye scenario is actually great fun and helps in the planning.

Dave, you ain't the first and won't be the last. Others had this dilemma on RMW3, my personal response has been to cruelly downsize - and I still am. I can't see over the mental block when I keep adding more 'stuff' and projects to the 'to do list.' I've even been known to move projects on to new owners still as work-in-progress.

• RMweb Gold

Empathy from me on the work front, Dave. For the past 3 years I've "enjoyed" a working life that takes me away from home 4 days a week, racking up 2,500 - 3,000 air miles a week, leaving naff-all time for modelling. In the space of those 3 years I've built all of 2 buildings to commission for others, 3 for myself, and a few odd bits of rolling stock / locos as what little spare time I have permits. Add to that issue the fact that modelling comes behind certain other priorities in my life - like keeping a house in reasonable condition, playing golf, learning to dance (!) and herding cats. Especially a large black cat who jumps in my lap every time I sit down to type, watch TV or pick up a modelling tool..

I also loath and despise making baseboards, which can be a serious hinderance to getting a layout started! ;)

'Chard's advice, though, seems very logical to me. I may even try some of that good thinking myself..

I agree that one way to make progress is to downsize. I have far too many unbuilt kits lying about, and as I am no longer a big earner I've decided to sell most off, which will generate useful cash. I have also got too many locos, so the sub-standard and inappropriate ones will go. I hope this will fund the one or two I really need.

As for the 'project management' stuff, I think it depends on how your brain works. Planning programs don't work for me, they tend to become an end in themselves. They may work for you though.

I would suggest allocating a certain amount of time per day/week/month and doing something. This is akin to the page-a-day method of writing, if you stick to it in 12 months you end up with a novel. It's doesn't particularly matter what you do, as long as it's relevant.

Finally have you a railway-minded mate who could come along and give you a hand, say one evening a fortnight? Some daunting jobs get a lot less daunting if two of you are bashing away. Baseboard erection and trackwork, par example.

Good luck with it anyway!wink.gif

I can well relate to this with all aspect of my life ??“ professional, my hobbies, house DIY and garden and cars to look after. I forever feel as if I'm chasing my tail. However, it only feels overwhelming if you look at the whole thing and as others have written its best breaking it down into chunks and allocating some time in the week for your models however little. For me Although I allow myself on the net for work breaks (I often work from home) I allow myself 5-6 hours on Sunday for my model making hobbies. Its not a lot but at the moment that's all I really have. Those 5 or 6 hours are totally mine and perhaps you could do similar even its only 20 minutes an evening for plans and 2 or 3 hours one day for model making. Take some tasks you know you can manage in say four of five sessions so you hit some targets early on. It might be to weather a single wagon each week lay a few yards of track etc etc but you need to see a little progress. However, its great to see something moving and even a shunting plank might lift your mood if you can see those wagons you've weathered in action.

Whilst its wonderful to be inspired by others work don't be put off but what others manage. We all have different skill levels, experience and time to apply to our hobbies??¦

Good luck.

You could always:

change jobs (or work only nights)

give up work entirely

look forward to retirement

become an armchair modeller ...

or just learn to be satisfied with less.

No use getting all worked up about it - it doesn't solve anything.

I work nights (when I work), I require only 3-4 hours sleep a day, my layout(s) are in a cold, dark, damp garage - so get ignored in the winter, I sit around building kits most days, and waste a lot of time on RMWeb - but I could never get depressed about it. Just get on with something, anything - remember the clock is ticking ...

and that's yet another day less to finish the RMWeb 2010 Challenge in :D

... it's actually crucial to sort out what ultimately fires your modelling mojo. ...

That's what all the advice boils down to. This is a hobby, it should be something that brings enjoyment, relaxation, feelings of achievement. You don't have to do any of it, and should only do the things that bring positive results.

My Thompson O1 bash is still going around with a lined B1 cab and number on it. Don't even 'see' that thanks to the rosy glow that surrounds all the operating, now that I have DCC. Same with the last bunch of kit wagons I have fitted with replacement couplers and given BR paintwork. Most are lettering free zones, but still look OK in the freights they are now running in, or when being dropped off in the yard. They will likely get weathered that way I suspect, life is too short for stuffing mushrooms, particularly when the alternative is shunting the yard for the afternoon pick up...

Dave,

May I suggest a couple of ideas which work for me;

Delegate:

I recognised the area which I am least enthusiastic about (making the baseboard), so I measured the space, drew up a rough plan and had a friend build it for me. Luckily, he was happy with just being fed and wined each time he came around to do a bit. That really kick-started my enthusiasm.

Have modest goals:

Deciding on a modest layout to get your enthusiasm going whilst your time and energy is limited works better than trying to do something grand??¦ but I suppose that's stating the bl**din' obvious!

Little and often ??“ and committed time:

An hour or two as often as possible is better than nothing, even if it seems you can't really get your teeth into the project. I try to allocate a definite hour or two at the same time every week, like a lesson in a course that demands my committment.

Time alone:

I'm lucky enough to get a few days alone on occasions ??“ not that I like my other-half disappearing but it eliminates the guilt of having a modelling frenzy!

You may find that getting started on a layout is the most difficult part and once you've managed that, the enthusiasm returns. You may then surprise yourself how much time you're suddenly able to 'make' for yourself. On the work front, are you able to take a 20minute nap at all? That could help your energy levels a lot!

Good luck!

No use getting all worked up about it - it doesn't solve anything.

I work nights (when I work), I require only 3-4 hours sleep a day, my layout(s) are in a cold, dark, damp garage - so get ignored in the winter, I sit around building kits most days, and waste a lot of time on RMWeb - but I could never get depressed about it. Just get on with something, anything - remember the clock is ticking ...

I'm with Kenton on a lot of this...

I work nights too (Sun-Thurs) though I need rather more than 3-4 hours sleep - drowsiness and 44tonne Artics don't mix; all my model railway stuff is in a large shed (usually cold and sometimes a bit damp) and I try not to waste too much time on RMweb ha ha fat chance... I also have a family and recently any modelling at all has ground to a halt through illness in the family...

Other than that, all I would advise (and boy there's some complicated-looking advice so far!!) is "Little and Often", Dave, "Little and Often"... ten minutes, half an hour, an hour here and there... it can all add up, and if you leave out or have handy in a box little projects that can easily be picked up and worked on for a bit all the better.

I do wonder sometimes, seeing how much some modellers do, if they actually have any other life at all, a mortgage to pay, family to look after, etc etc etc....:huh: ;)

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave,

You are under a lot of pressure. First thing is not to create any more. There are some things you have to do, and unfortunately work is one of them. Other things don't have to be done, weathering locos for instance. It is also easy, particularly when feeling a bit down, to feel that everything is on top of you, and that there is no way you can ever escape from the weight that is burdening you. I agree with those who advise you just to set small targets. Just half an hour here and there doing something, anything, that has a direct connection with the layout you want to build. Then sit back and feel the glow of achievement that will come, and will fire you up to do a bit more. " Bite size chunks" as the saying goes.

One more thing, when you have very little time, it is essential to devote some of it to yourself and your own needs. if that means disappointing or saying "no" to requests from others, so be it.

Gilbert

I sympathise with you Dave as I also seem to never know where to start, assuming the task is too great for me, a mere mortal.

I think my other difficulty is that I feel I will never get to realise my big plan and the small projects I keep setting myself seem pointless as they themselves are no contributing towards the big plan. I also have come to the opinion that most of it is too difficult for me so why start? Oddly, the simple renumberings that I completed recently brought me endless joy as I finfished them for once (they were for other people...)

This week, I have downsized so far that I will attempt to build a Parkside VEA. laugh.gif

If I cannot even manage to see that through, I may as well just throw in the towel.

To be completely honest, I realised that some things were beyond me time (and tool and workshop availability) - wise. So I effectively bought my way out of it. RTR stock except for the odd kit, ready ballasted underlay, pre weathered track, bought in baseboards to my detailed measurements, screw together, lay the track and balllast connect up a DCC command station and run a train. Point motors came later.

Basically the whole thing took about six weeks and running trains in less than a weekend.

All the locos were chipped, sound equipped and tested in a period of two years using settrack on the carpet and soldering on the dining table in a much smaller flat. It was only the move to this flat that gave me enough room and permission from SWMBO to proceed to a layout at all.

Of course, this is cheque book model railways but then I assume that your long hours are adequately rewarded enough to pay for the loss of modelling time.

On the kit front, I built a Comet coach unaided during the 'too small flat' phase of stock prep. I did a lot of the Dock Tank but then had some help with it from a better modeller with more time.

I also assist my local dealer with things he can't do and he pays me with bits I need.

At the current time, things are slow but not a dead stop and a breakkdown train (coach and vans, I bought the crane) and a sound equipped Class 4 are in progress on the bench. I can always run a train when I want to.

I enjoy modelling but realise that kits take longer than RTR and I doubt I need any more kits for a very long time, I have nearly sufficient track and point motors to complete my MPD and sidings and I have card kits in stock for a station and some other buildings.

If I stop enjoying it, I would stop in a heartbeat and bin the lot.

Dave,

indeed we have all been there, especially as the nights draw in. However I find the christmas period, with a few days off ideal to reassess and actually do some modelling, especially the Christmas-New Year week being ideal. Don't get too concerned about it, maybe do a spot of weathering on Boxing Day afternoon and just enjoy yourself.

Regards

Clive

• RMweb Gold

Go to WIgan and get some inspiration ;)

Think you have the opposite problem to me, I love layout building but I really admire the work you put into your rolling stock, something I have real difficulty getting motivated to do, yet whilst all stuff is in boxes would be something I could be doing.

I guess we all have ups and downs, something which always helps me when intrest is waning is imagining how certain bits of board are going to look when completely finished and detailed, then working towards that. If you have a 'minds eye' of what the scenic section is to look like at the end its better than thinking plywood flats what am I going to put there?, doing a board at a time would probably help? -hope that makes sense

Dave: I can very much sympathise, having got myself overcommitted on a number of fronts and never seeming to be able to get on top of any one of them - everything fighting everything else and diverting me from pressing any one item home to swift completion. (Hence amongst other things an uncompleted Challenge layout)

There was also the problem of the "and then there's......, and then there's ....... and then there's .... And I also need to do ........... And ............. really needs to happen by a week on Friday" - at which point the head starts to spin and it all gets too much.

Being at work or travelling twelve hours a day doesn't help, and being single the meals don't get cooked or the shirtsget ironed unless I do it

For a year or more I've been consciously trying to avoid taking on any new modelling commitments - no haring off after new layout ideas, trying not to buy additional kits (I too have a cupboard full unbuilt but a lot less experience in building the stuff that's lurking in there) , trying to avoid buying extra RTR unless it really is necessary for Blacklade. I haven't been entirely successful, but at worst I'm trying to work on a "one in /one out " principle and avoiding making the backlog any worse

I've ended up having to ditch one major commitment which was consuming a lot of time and nervous energy while making very limted and slow progress , and letting another smaller commitment come to a natural close, and that seems to be allowing a bit more focus and effective action

For what it is worth , I'd be inclined to say you could be a bit more selective :

- Given the pressures you feel under, it seems sensible not to take on any more projects for other folk

- Renumbering and weathering locos is something that can be left till later . I admit a lot of my stock is currently embarrassingly pristine and untouched , but the layout comes first. (Kits are another matter - weathering is effectively apart of the painting process). I'd be inclined to put this on the on the back burner till a layout is up and running , unless you are looking consciuosly for a relief from something else

I know these things are very personal , but I'd be inclined to try to sort out in your own mind a plan for a workable layout, - the ideas can be thought out "off-site" - and make some kind of a start.

This in itself may help focus, because it will probably impose a priority list and indicate that some jobs aren't actually necessary. Say - if the layout is modest you won't need a fleet of six heavily weathered V2s (for example) , which may well mean that a lot of those weathering/renumbering jobs aren't actually necessary in the near future. Some of the kits may fall in the "nice to have but really abit more than I strictly need" - and building them can be pushed into the middle distance

As a personal example , I've concluded that, given where I now stand with my various projects, air-braked revenue wagons are something I've little or no scope to run , apart from the oil tanks on Blacklade - so there's no point putting any time into working on any. On the other hand I do need DMUs - so I'm working on the Pacer because I've got an immediate need for that

I'm not saying I've cracked it, and a perpetual slippage on projects seems inevitable, but it does seem to be helping me to achieve something, and I'm starting to make small inroads. Things feel more achievable and I start to feel I'm actually making a bit of progress

Dave

You have to choose between building kits and all that goes with that side of modelling, weathering, renumbering etc which you obviously enjoy and forget the layout for the time being.

Join a local club with a permanent layout set for member running so you can show off your work and run it.

Dont let this hobby take over your life (says me who spent a couple of hours earlier in my loft, then another 3hrs at my local club(Egham) and now at midnight I'm talking about it on RMWEB)

good luck to you

Bob

Archived