EBay madness

Marcyg

On 30/11/2019 at 00:22, Martin S-C said:

I've had two really bad experiences, one from Rails and one from Hattons when buying used locos described in glowing terms with words like "mint", "as new" and so on in the listing only to find really basic items like buffers, handrails, glazing and couplings missing and the two bodyshells being either dusty in one case and stinking of tobacco in the other that I simply don't buy anything but new RTR stuff from the box shifters any more. One gets the impression that the staff who describe and put up the used items on their websites are not familiar with the models they're selling or just don't care.

This also works the other way, sometimes stuff goes up at a price way below the normal market value, I've got a few bargains that way.

Personally never had any problems with second-hand N gauge from Widnes/Liverpool, a large part of my British fleet comes from there. It does help if you study the photos carefully and know what bits should be on the loco.

• Agree 1

Another cracker from Rails.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MODIFIED-Hornby-KIT-BUILT-OO-GAUGE-LMS-BLACK-CLASS-2P-4-4-0-LOCO-351-10K/201710007125?hash=item2ef6da7355:g:Kj8AAOSwo4pYHc--

Looks like maybe an old Tri-ang L1 chopped about and painted but where are the handrails? The Ratio plastic kit tender is the best bit.

Dear oh dear.

Dave.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 24/12/2019 at 04:24, BoD said:

At least he has produced a list.  Many sales like this  just include a few photos for details leaving a potential buyer to guess.

I'd suspect that the 'no list & dodgy photos' brigade do so, because they have no idea what they are selling. Perhaps its 'Grandads old train set' and must be worth a mint, because they've looked up the new version of a random model and assumed that a 30 year old Hornby model in front of them, is the same thing. 

Or even that the 30 year old model must be worth more, due to its age!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F332161171017

Our old friend Gostude again. It’s a very nicely finished kit, but £170 for a kit on a Lima chassis, when you can get a Heljan one for half the price. 

Clearly hasn't a clue; text from listing:

"

SILVER FOX MODELS

BOXED

EXCELLENT - Test Run only.

This is a professionally painted and detailed model from Silver Fox. Utilising a plastic body and chassis from DC Kits on what is probably a Hornby motor mechanism."

:D

• RMweb Gold

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, centraltrains said:

Rails constantly drive me insane on eBay...

But in their blurb they do warn that they will be charging a lot :jester:.

test.JPG.cc143ff63f8b6e5646ad923b9d8c7235.JPG

Edited by BoD
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On 27/12/2019 at 21:40, leopardml2341 said:

Clearly hasn't a clue; text from listing:

"

SILVER FOX MODELS

BOXED

EXCELLENT - Test Run only.

This is a professionally painted and detailed model from Silver Fox. Utilising a plastic body and chassis from DC Kits on what is probably a Hornby motor mechanism."

:D

I do wonder how long he'll hang on to some of it for - he still has a class 153 converted from a Hornby 155 for £124.50 - I've even messaged him to tell him what it is but it's still there, no one is ever going to buy it while the better, newer, more accurate, Hornby ones are going for less than that, how long will he keep holding on to it hoping to make that amount?!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JDW said:

I do wonder how long he'll hang on to some of it for - he still has a class 153 converted from a Hornby 155 for £124.50 - I've even messaged him to tell him what it is but it's still there, no one is ever going to buy it while the better, newer, more accurate, Hornby ones are going for less than that, how long will he keep holding on to it hoping to make that amount?!

It was first mentioned on this thread in January 2016, but one day even the jaffa cake 350 might sell...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-31-032-DCC-HOWES-SOUND-REFINISHED-BR-NSE-JAFFA-CLASS-350-1-DESIRO-EMU-p/371522283197

• RMweb Premium

Interesting picture, totally useless for actually describing the item mind.  What the heck is that presumably experimental livery adorning that Thumper?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/N-Gauge-4x-Mk-1-SR-Green-Coaches-Grafar-China-Boxed-Free-P-P-UK-only/254461993088?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

• RMweb Premium

Its a train, it's Southern region, it carries passengers, it cannot be said for certain that it is not green, that's four  things that match already, seems pretty accurate to me... :lol:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, sandwich station said:

I bought something off of gostude way back in 2000 when I first joined ebay. Not sure now if it was the first item I bought off of there but it was certainly in the first 5 and his feedback is 37,592 so someone quite clearly buys from him. 

I’ve purchased quite a few things from him via eBay - mainly wagons that were quite reasonably priced.  Service was prompt and the items were packaged well.  Granted, His pricing strategy is somewhat erratic but there it is.  Some of his stuff is reasonable, some of it is absurd.

Cheers

Darius

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, JDW said:

Probably paid too much for it in the first place and is determined not to sell at a loss?

• Agree 2