EBay madness

Marcyg

£69.95 for what is described as a Kit built Caledonian Railway CR Grampian route Coach White metal LNWR PC Models (LNWR Grampian coach??).  It looks more like a hacked about and badly painted Tri-ang Caledonian coach to me.....

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Kit-built-Caledonian-Railway-CR-Grampian-route-Coach-White-metal-LNWR-PC-Models/153716606450?hash=item23ca3945f2:g:r1kAAOSwF11dxWU5

12 hours ago, petethemole said:

True PC sides have printed panelling; He has two of those for sale also.

I noticed them.  They look a good bit better than this thing.  Aside from the messy paint job, the underframe is all wrong for a Grampian coach, and the bogies don't look quite right either.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, lofty1966 said:

Is this guy on crack?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F254418292075

I've messaged him and asked him if the decimal point is in the right place?

He's also got mopok Hawksworth kits for 80 quid

Plenty of photos of the box and only one of the contents!

On 11/11/2019 at 14:55, Wolseley said:

I noticed them.  They look a good bit better than this thing.  Aside from the messy paint job, the underframe is all wrong for a Grampian coach, and the bogies don't look quite right either.

It's actually had two bids and is up to £76 with 1 day 15 hours to go :huh:

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, lofty1966 said:

Is this guy on crack?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F254418292075

Who on earth would pay that much to 'collect' it? That's the only reason I can think of that such a deluded price is being asked. 

I've built a few of these things back in the seventies and a reasonable model can be created out of one with a lot of effort but not a patch on the BSL kits available back then in the pre-etching days.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

23 hours ago, lofty1966 said:

Is this guy on crack?

What kind of paint thinner was he sniffing when he came up with that price!? 

Certainly an aspirational figure! 

Regards,

Nick.

On 11/11/2019 at 03:55, Wolseley said:

I agree - the spring hangers are all wrong for a Grampian coach.  Also, the right hand pair of springs are decidedly wonky, would make me query the build quality of the rest of the coach.

6 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

John Winkley (JW Model Railways) is selling them (boxed) for £12.00 off his website.  I just bought a yellow one from him for £10.00.

13 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

Mazak rot anyone?

Mazak!!!

To be fair the seller makes no secret that the loco is so afflicted.   Just strikes me as odd that anyone would want to buy it - unless it was for unaffected spares.

Darius

Spare footplates were available from Bachmann, I had one from them a while ago for exactly the same reason.

• Like 1

It never ceases to amaze me how regular vendors sell kit-built locomotives that are of below average build quality and praise them as being completed to a high standard.  This one caught my eye, more for what it is (I have a strong interest in anything Caledonian) rather than anything to do with the model or the listing itself.

It is described as "Probably built from the Gem white metal kit to a good standard. Nicely painted and letter and with an effective weathered used wash to it". I concede that it isn't that bad, but then it is a body kit only, so I would thought that a good finish would something a bit better than this, although if you remove and reaffix the reversing rod and Westinghouse pump tubing, it would improve things, as would filling the seam between the two boiler halves.  But the paint-job?  Nice?  Of course the lettering is good - they are transfers.  And I don't think that it's a weathered wash.  It looks to me as if the person who painted it varnished over the lining  transfers after applying them and the varnish has discoloured with age.  And the less said about the application of the lining to the splashers and cab the better (and why on earth is the roof blue?)

Really, the person who finished this model, given their abilities, would have been better advised to paint the locomotive as it was prior to withdrawal - in plain, unlined, LMS black.

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/KIT-BUILT-Caledonian-Railway-CR-Cardean-4-6-0-Blue-Livery-white-metal-00-gauge/153727118023?hash=item23cad9aac7:g:jOcAAOSwmXtdzpEL

It seems like a rather high starting bid, but it will be interesting to see what it sells for though, as pre-grouping Scottish 00 locomotives sometimes go for ridiculous prices.....

Edited by Wolseley
Correcting typo

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Wolseley said:

It never ceases to amaze me how regular vendors sell kit-built locomotives that are of below average build quality and praise them as being completed to a high standard.  This one caught my eye, more for what it is (I have a strong interest in anything Caledonian) rather than anything to do with the model or the listing itself.

It is described as "Probably built from the Gem white metal kit to a good standard. Nicely painted and letter and with an effective weathered used wash to it". I concede that it isn't that bad, but then it is a body kit only, so I would thought that a good finish would something a bit better than this, although if you remove and reaffix the reversing rod and Westinghouse pump tubing, it would improve things, as would filling the seam between the two boiler halves.  But the paint-job?  Nice?  Of course the lettering is good - they are transfers.  And I don't think that it's a weathered wash.  It looks to me as if the person who painted it varnished over the lining  transfers after applying them and the varnish has discoloured with age.  And the less said about the application of the lining to the splashers and cab the better (and why on earth is the roof blue?)

Really, the person who finished this model, given their abilities, would have been better advised to paint the locomotive as it was prior to withdrawal - in plain, unlined, LMS black.

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/KIT-BUILT-Caledonian-Railway-CR-Cardean-4-6-0-Blue-Livery-white-metal-00-gauge/153727118023?hash=item23cad9aac7:g:jOcAAOSwmXtdzpEL

It seems like a rather high starting bid, but it will be interesting to see what it sells for though, as pre-grouping Scottish 00 locomotives sometimes go for ridiculous prices.....

Why wouldn't the builder paint it in his preferred colour?

As always, the builder can paint it any colour he choses. As can a would be purchaser.

I've seen owners of Hornby Dublo/Wrenn paint ALL their locos, no matter what prototype as LMS maroon or black. Not my cup of tea, to see GWR Castles painted as an LMS loco, but its theirs to do as they see fit.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Why wouldn't the builder paint it in his preferred colour?

As always, the builder can paint it any colour he choses. As can a would be purchaser.

I've seen owners of Hornby Dublo/Wrenn paint ALL their locos, no matter what prototype as LMS maroon or black. Not my cup of tea, to see GWR Castles painted as an LMS loco, but its theirs to do as they see fit.

Agreed.  Although that was hardly the point I was trying to make.

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Wolseley said:

Agreed.  Although that was hardly the point I was trying to make.

Original comment was slightly harsh and we cant all be master kit builders and painters. However, we only get better with practice and those of us who don't, don't build kits or from scratch :D 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3