The Fall & Rise of the 60's ( was The End of the Tugs?)

• RMweb Premium

Oh how old I feel.  I have never seen a 60....  I rather like the look of them, even though diesels are pre-TOPS blue things to me  ;-)

My point....the font/typeface of the numbers on the DBS locos, is that the same as the early blue diesel era?  Certainly looks as if it is, makes I smile.  Next time I'm in the UK I will have to look out for a 60 if I'm in a suitable area, I need to see one!

• RMweb Premium

Oh how old I feel.  I have never seen a 60....  I rather like the look of them, even though diesels are pre-TOPS blue things to me  ;-)

My point....the font/typeface of the numbers on the DBS locos, is that the same as the early blue diesel era?  Certainly looks as if it is, makes I smile.  Next time I'm in the UK I will have to look out for a 60 if I'm in a suitable area, I need to see one!

Usually a couple running the Fidler's Ferry/Liverpool coal circuit. I believe that's not too far away from you!

Cheers,

Mick

Full week of 60's at kingsbury 60062 sat in the shunt today believe I saw one yesterday on a container train coming from birchcoppice to far away to get a number but it was big and red

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And here's another pair:

I managed to wangle a couple of hours around Westerleigh today and thanks to ewsjo of this parish for the timing info, managed to get lucky.

60040 was a little late in leaving with 6E41 to Lindsey and 60007 arrives with 6B13 from Robeston.

post-408-0-25035200-1358874286_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 12

First tug of the year in decent light. No snow, sadly, but beggars can't be choosy! 60015 on the Colnbrook empties just north of Harpenden.

post-6712-0-63006700-1359563694_thumb.jpg

The light is just about usable at the moment, but it'll improve as the year wears on :)

• Like 7

As we've now got 60 pages of 60s, and there's no sign of them coming to an end, is it time to end this topic?

Certainly not, but perhaps it should be renamed (fall and rise of the Tugs, maybe?). As we've documented their decline it's interesting to do the same with their revival.  

• Like 8

Busy day yesterday, a red 60 hauling a rake of yellow network rail wagons south of York in the morning. Sorry no photo I had the camera but was talking to a colleague as it passed. Looked awesome though. And then that kettle's support coach derailed...

A couple of recent ones of 6B33 Theale - Margam/Robeston. 60065 both times, it has now returned to Immingham area after a stint based in South Wales, but has gained a Margam sheep sticker at each end.

IMG_5584-60065-6B33-XL.jpg

60065 'Spirit of Jaguar' passes Shrivenham working 6B33 Theale - Robeston 24/1/13

And now to Margam two days later, a couple of angles taken from the public path across the yard. Sadly it stopped quite far back alongside 66177, so a bit of a zoom up was needed!

IMG_5652-60065-6B33-66177-XL.jpg

IMG_5661-60065-6B33-66177-XL.jpg

60065 has just arrived at Margam with 6B33 from Theale, seen stabled alongside 66177 26/1/13

jo

• Like 9

On Wednesday 6th, there were a couple of Tugs lurking around the South. Most interestingly was TaTa Steel liveried 60099, which was a long way from it's usual stamping ground! The loco had worked down on 6O15 Mossend - Eastleigh, forward from Warrington before going onto the Westbury engineers on Tuesday 5th. The next day, it worked 6O41 Westbury to Eastleigh engineers before heading North light engine as 0V38 Eastleigh to Didcot.

The loco is seen off Campbell Road bridge as it approaches Eastleigh.

post-7258-0-72648700-1360278900_thumb.jpg

Heading the other was way DB Red 60010, which worked down from Hinksey with 6O26 to Eastleigh, before carrying on to Westbury with 6V41.

The loco is seen growling through Lee with the Westbury bound train.

post-7258-0-09317900-1360278928_thumb.jpg

Hopefully 60074 can make it down my way! Would like to see it in the flesh!

Andy.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

On Wednesday 6th, there were a couple of Tugs lurking around the South. Most interestingly was TaTa Steel liveried 60099, which was a long way from it's usual stamping ground! The loco had worked down on 6O15 Mossend - Eastleigh, forward from Warrington before going onto the Westbury engineers on Tuesday 5th. The next day, it worked 6O41 Westbury to Eastleigh engineers before heading North light engine as 0V38 Eastleigh to Didcot.

It hasn't stayed south for too long. On the 7th, 60099 worked 6C02 Crewe-Carlisle and 6K05 Carlisle-Crewe return.

Good to see these beasts spreading their wings once again. (Although a late running 6K05 and work conspired so that I didn't get to see it pass my house)

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

It hasn't stayed south for too long. On the 7th, 60099 worked 6C02 Crewe-Carlisle and 6K05 Carlisle-Crewe return.

Good to see these beasts spreading their wings once again. (Although a late running 6K05 and work conspired so that I didn't get to see it pass my house)

Cheers,

Mick

Interesting! It was just a flying visit then!

I'm intrigued to know why more 60's are getting South. The trains they work don't really warrant one (I reckon), the likes of the engineers trains or the Mossend - Eastleigh could be handled by a 66. Is it just to keep driver knowledge on the class up?

Andy.

• Like 1

Interesting! It was just a flying visit then!

I'm intrigued to know why more 60's are getting South. The trains they work don't really warrant one (I reckon), the likes of the engineers trains or the Mossend - Eastleigh could be handled by a 66. Is it just to keep driver knowledge on the class up?

Andy.

Andy,

The wagonload network can be used to get locos back to Toton, rather than just trip it light engine, it might as well work a train to do so. The 60s off Warrington seem to do Mossend - Eastleigh (from Warrington), then north to Bescot, then off to Toton on a working from Bescot. The Eastleigh move can also get them to Westbury for Mendip stone work

I'm sure there's someone who can explain it better!

jo

Edited by ewsjo
  • Like 1