RMweb is now part of the Warners family

Andy Y

Congratulations Andy, long my you and RMW thrive and develop as a result.

Might be my imagination but within hours of the announcment the whole site seems to running faster and sweeter? It certainly must be a relief to be able to call on support when needed after years of shouldering the burden of managing and maintaining the site on your own.

D :-)

Great news Andy, I hope it all works out for you and I am sure RMweb will benefit. Hopefully this means less stress for you and a bit more time to do some modelling. :senile:

Cheers Peter.

Just imagine if RMWeb had been bought by Rupert Murdoch

Things like "Today's Top Train Totty" or look at those buffers. We could almost have a wheeltapper's thread for setting tabloid headlines about people's layouts. Although the thought of Boris in a mankini doesn't bear thinking about, oh dear I think I'm gonna ................

Looks like the future could be brighter then?

I certainly hope so.

Just one thing can you PLEASE change this awful colour scheme!

This claret and blue is hurting my eyes or is Mr Warner an Aston villa/West ham/Burnley fan?

Cheers!

Frank

• RMweb Gold

Well, some topless models would be welcome, especially if there are instructions on how to get the top off.

When US manufacturer Life-Like offered a range called Proto 2000 - a brand since sold to Octopus Models Walthers - they actually packaged the loco body separately from the chassis, so the purchaser could do whatever he/she might need with the electrics before adding the body. An idea whose time should not have passed IMHO.

• RMweb Premium

Just one thing can you PLEASE change this awful colour scheme!

This claret and blue is hurting my eyes or is Mr Warner an Aston villa/West ham/Burnley fan?

Cheers!

Frank

I don't mind the new colours but I too would prefer something more subdued. But it's not our show and Andy can choose what he likes (a Villa fan?). Incidentally, if you read RMWeb as a Guest, you still see the old colours...

Incidentally, if you read RMWeb as a Guest, you still see the old colours...

We are all still Andy's guests. Even if the roof is paid for by someone else.

On the colour scheme, I don't mind the colours it is just laid on a bit thick (looks a lot less stylish and "clean".

anyway what is Villa? - it is the content that matters.

Yes; I must get some blinds for the conservatory. ;)

Whatever you do, don't get them from Argos!! Remember the gazebo!!

I know, chaps, I and all of us promised NEVER to mention the gazebo....ever. But.....but....this is an EMERGENCY!!

I will get my coat....

I've still never replaced Mrs Y's gazebo after that! (It became hers when we broke it) There is a canopy awaiting fitting in the garage though as I thought that would be less problematic for home use. :)

I've still never replaced Mrs Y's gazebo after that! (It became hers when we broke it) There is a canopy awaiting fitting in the garage though as I thought that would be less problematic for home use. :)

Well, Warners are a media company. I bet they could provide a branded gazebo/bordering on a marquee for Mrs Y's candlelit suppers.

OK OK, the coat is on!

:nono:

How many have actually contributed to anything at all?

Well, I have contributed both financially at the Taunton show's and by demonstrating at two Taunton and one Stafford members' day, I have also contributed an article to the Modelling Inspiration No.2.

Tim

It may be worth injecting a little history.

Many moons ago, before RMWeb , there was a forum attached to the BRM website. It was popular , and it didn't even require registration. In fact it was probably the biggest "open" public forum at the time. Just before Christmas one year (2004) it was severely "trolled" with libellous anti-Bachmann comments - which had to be hastily taken down, the site suspended over a weekend, and registration introduced on the Mopnday morning. That cost it quite a few people who couldn't be bothered to register, there was continued lamentation about the very limited nature of the software - you couldn't post pictures for example - and a few months later Andy announced he was starting RMWeb which would offer a much higher level of functionality. The BRM forum slowly faded away. When Warners launched Modern Railway Modelling they also added a forum to its website , using exactly the same very basic software as the BRM forum and it never really took off

Nobody complains about the Model Railroader forum or the Loco-Revue one as far as I'm aware. In fact forums run by magaines seem to be unproblematic and perfectly acceptable in other countries

The conclusions I draw from this would be:

- A magazine owning a forum need not be a problem. It is worth remembering that Warners - like Kalmbach , L-R Press (and for that matter Peco Publications and Wild Swan) are a family owned business , not a big commercial magazine publishing group like say EMAP

- Warners have a track record in British modelling forums , which can be assessed. None of the other magazines have tried (and neither Peco nor Wild Swan are likely to...)

- Freedom of speech , excessive advertising and use of material have never been an issue with Warners forums in the past . In fact past evidence is that they've left the forum to itself, and perhaps been too uninvolved. Their letters column has always been the most open and uninhibited of the magazines

- They have no record of restricting access or charging - quite the opposite (I doubt if many of us would think it wise to run a forum without requiring registration or without some kind of moderation - Warners did it and got bitten...)

- The area where Warners' past efforts are open to serious criticism is that they didn't provide an adequete level of technical sophistication, and didn't upgrade. RMweb is very substantially more sophisticated and more fully featured than other forums around , and it regularly upgrades. I'd say one of it's strengths has been Andy's technical innovation and provision of state of the art facilities. It's never been a case of "other forums offer X - can't we have it too?" Arguably the biggest danger from a magazine is that the forum stagnates - I'm not sure if Loco Revue (for example) have upgraded their forum much in the last 5 years. With Andy at the helm I don't see that danger materialising , and in any case RMweb is already far ahead of the pack in features and sophistication

• RMweb Gold

I will need to re-evaluate my magazine subscription needs and perhaps opt for BRM again.

Good point, Paul. Warners have now obviated any need for me to put coppers in Andy's tin in future. The online edition of BRM seems to cost £20 for a year. I bought the March edition - as I did RM and MR - on my recent trip to Blighty, and frankly found them all equally readable. I think Warners have just won a subscriber.

Shortly afterwards Cyril Freezer moved to Devon to take up his new job and Railway Modeller has never looked back!

True!

And how many remember reading the articles to see that the modeller used PECO track pins along with PECO track and PECO wonderful wagons etc :)

Right thats me, I am off to do some modifications to the layout and got two days in which to do it (sounds like Time Team!).

And yes, I will be using PECO track, PECO rail joiners and possibly PECO track pins...... ;)

As I said in my first post in this topic, putting the forum on a sound financial footing while allowing Andy to remain at the helm is a major positive and that is the number one factor in this arrangement.

I know Andy well enough to know he wouldn’t have signed up to this without some assurances of future direction and safeguards in place (not that we have any right to know what those are so unless he wants to say no point in speculating). However like several others I am cautious of Warners involvement based on experience (particularly their exhibitions though they are most certainly not the worst) and a perceived short-termism in some of their other dealings in the hobby…

Andy did invite comment and therefore I am saddened that anyone who expresses any note of caution or doubt does seem to be unnecessarily heavily ‘jumped on’; notably NOT by Andy himself who has addressed any queries/concerns quickly, openly and professionally or any representative of Warners, but by a relatively small and vocal group of other members and most disappointingly by one of the Mods…

I did also say it could be potentially an opportunity for us to exert some influence on Warners: no-one seems to have picked up that side. We shall have to see how thing develop. It is far too early for either unqualified worship or to condemn them outright.

Paul

I agree with all the posts that point out that this forum has never stayed still; like the best things in life it looks to grow and improve and develop.

Think about this question; If we got to this stage with a part-time and part-funded host, where can we go next, now we have a deal in place that allows the owner to devote all his energies to the site?

Good luck Andy.

Andy did invite comment and therefore I am saddened that anyone who expresses any note of caution or doubt does seem to be unnecessarily heavily ‘jumped on’; notably NOT by Andy himself who has addressed any queries/concerns quickly, openly and professionally or any representative of Warners, but by a relatively small and vocal group of other members and most disappointingly by one of the Mods…

You might want to look back over the last couple of pages and see who exactly it was who decided to make a joke out of my avatar image by making a 'negative' out of it, as a joke at my expense.

This is particularly disappointing when the same individual has made a big thing about image copyright and not linking or editing images, and seeking to ensure that images are 'creative commons' but listing the original source, many, many times.

When those of us who have voiced perfectly legitimate concerns in a simple, pleasant manner are being jumped on and made fun of for daring to speak out - is it any wonder that many have chosen to keep quiet?

Strangely enough, if I didn't consider RMWeb a valuable resource to my modelling interests, and something that I would miss if it was to not be around, then I wouldn't actually care what happened to it. Perhaps the fact I'm speaking out should be considered just as useful overall as all the "woo yay" posts that are filling up the thread.

I honestly don't mind people airing their thoughts but yours (and clicking on the Like button everytime anyone posts something you think you agree with) have just been depressingly negative when you developed it beyond 'Oh dear' and let others give some real thought. Whilst looking at the thoughts of others it's annoying to have a scratched record/skipping CD in one ear.

Archived