Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How do you know if you're made it as a railway modeller?

Guest jim s-w

truth is, if someone is truly great at something they have never made it in their eyes. The next thing always has to be better than the last. Its a goal to strive for but always with the hope they never make it.

If they truly did, what would be the point after that?

Cheers

Jim

• Like 2

How do you know when you've (nearly) made it as a railway modeller?

When someone comes up to you at a railway exhibition, slaps you on the back and says "Hey dood, I've been wanting to meet you for years". Then you discover he thought you was off The adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. :mocking_mini:

• RMweb Gold

Theres some gorgeous stuff in that search but its our old friend Gostrude selling. :scratchhead:

And the prices are way above what that sort of thing is going for at auction - my Lawrence/Goddard painted 'Ocean Mails' brake (admittedly with a slightly bent truss rod) cost me £120 hammer price, £141.60 in total, last week. The two GWR special saloons went a good bit higher so my proxy bidder didn't stay in the running but even so they went for much less than Mr Gostude is charging (but then he does have his, hmm, 'profit' to cover having in many cases bought the stuff at auction).

Theres some gorgeous stuff in that search but its our old friend Gostude selling. :scratchhead:

That name came up this afternoon when I was with my Dad when we were looking at Frog Aircraft kits. It seems this seller's optimism knows no boundaries...

• RMweb Gold

It's the wheeler-dealers that have made it as "railway modellers"....... I'm at the wrong end of the business! :scratchhead:

Not much consolation, I'm sure, but this puts you in the same category as many famous artists, living in relative poverty, while their paintings sold for £squillions after their death!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

There is really only one answer to this question. The answer is when your friends, family, etc complain that you 'play trains' too much or when you start counting bricks and rivets...!!

Cheers, Gary.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Not much consolation, I'm sure, but this puts you in the same category as many famous artists, living in relative poverty, while their paintings sold for £squillions after their death!

Bloody true that! I've sold more paintings than Vincent Van Gogh did when he was alive........I'm just a hack.

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

You know you've made it as a railway modeller when, after a lifetime of opening RTR boxes, you wash your hands and the soap bubbles are square.... :mosking:

You know you've made it as a modeller when you join a forum and you discover you have enemies....

You know you've made it when your expertise is not undermined by a dose of common sense....

You know you've made it as a railway modeller when you can say you're wrong and know its right....

• Like 8

Guest jim s-w

My experience of the best modellers is that they never think that. The next thing will always be better than the last one. They will always look for areas to improve, it seems to what drives them.

Perhaps making it is like becoming an adult? A child becomes an adult when they stop trying to act like one, a modeller has made it when they stop worrying about if they have?

Edited by jim s-w
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

When my wife and son say 'Hey, that's not a bad layout' about my attempts when they've both been to York and Ally Pally - it will of course never be good enough for me, but there are only so many hours in a day............................

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Having had a re-read through the thread, it occurred to me that, as I am my most severe critic, so that being asked by one of the top-notch modellers on RMWeb to make 'em a building is indeed recognition of having reached a certain standard.

Having had ChrisF, Olddudders and Tim ask me to build for them has given me a boost to the confidence I have in my building building-skills. But I still fret that, as ChrisF, Olddudders and Tim are such nice blokes, that they are saying that the half-empty glass is actually half-full. Or perhaps I am still too self critical???

I think that should someone like Roger Daltry, Pete Waterman or Jools Holland (who only settle for the very best) ask me for a building - I'd be right chuffed

F

on the other hand, I am certain that if I were to be satisfied that I had "made it", I'd become complacent and my modelling quality (such as it is) would plummet

• Like 3

Guest jim s-w

Having had a re-read through the thread, it occurred to me that, as I am my most severe critic,

Thats the thing though - most of the high end modellers think exactly the same as that and will make everything themselves or with a largish group of very close friends, in a sort of relationship built up over years if not decades. (Liverpool Lime Street) and as such wont normally consider buying stuff in. Dave Holts 'Delph' is probably an exception. (there always are)

I guess what I am saying is if the mega-elite (whoever you decide they are) dont ask you for a building or anything then thats not a reflection on what you do, its a reflection on the way they approach stuff.

Cheers

Jim

• Like 1