Bachmann announce L&Y 2-4-2T

Andy Y

An excellent choice for us North of England modellers with plenty of future variations if succesfully supported (ie bought in sufficient numbers) Plus they were used in other areas during LMS/BR days.

Round top and belpaire fireboxes

Long and short bunkers with both fireboxes

Saturated and superheated boilers.

Standard and extended smokeboxes.

Different chimney positions on the smokebox due to the above boiler variations.

Different running plate valances.

Some push-pull fitted.

Perhaps the number of variations on the same basic chassis/ body is the reason for its choice by Bachmann

Sorry LRM and Jol

And yes I do have a few etched brass ones in various stages of construction.

For those of us who model outside the L&Y area, the 1958 Observers Book of Steam Locomotives has this cryptic comment from Mr. H.C.Casserley in the class notes. "50646 has recently come south to Bedford".

Wweeeelllllll, it had to get there somehow! :O

Cheers, Peter C.

• RMweb Gold

Sharp Stewart built some 2-4-2Ts fo rthe Barry Railway circa 1900. There is more than a passing resemblance to the prototype chosen by Bachmann, just in case anyone still does conversions!

Chris

The Barry J Class aren't too far off but they did have an unequal wheelbase at 7ft 8ins + 8ft 6ins + 7ft 0ins and the wheels aren't too far out with 3ft 6ins carrying wheels and 5ft 7.5ins drivers.

Anyone know if any of these ever served at or worked to Carlisle or Maryport? I suspect not but there is a picture of one on the turntable at Garsdale. I was planning to build a kit of one at some stage and justify it as a unrecorded wartime working but if anyone has evidenc eof them being around teh border that would be great.

can someone tell me the story of how 1008 became preserved? has it ever run in preservation?

Mike,

Its part of the National Collection due to being the first loco built at Horwich (as stated by Bruce above).

Don't think its ever been run in preservation. We were told some years ago that it has a wooden chimney -the original either being damaged or not the correct type for its preserved state .

• Like 1

From the NRM guide 1978: "[No. 1008] was withdrawn by British Railways in 1954 and after restoration was on exhibition at Tyseley [The Birmingham Railway Museum] before coming to York in 1976. It was repainted in 1977 and is substantially in its condition as first built"

The same booklet remarks that "This was the first of 330 similar locomotives that were built over the period 1889-1911, and which were, by the end of that time, working more than half of that railway's (the LYR's) passenger mileage." These were pretty remarkable locos that deserve to be more widely known - which reminds me...

I was at a show in deepest West Yorkshire a while back admiring a finescale LYR layout. The relief operator saw me craning my neck to see the fiddle yard, and asked me pleasantly if I was looking for anything in particular.

"Well", I said, "I wondered if there was a radial tank?"

He looked a little puzzled, and replied: "Er, no, but there's an LSWR layout over there, they might have one..."

Edited by bluebottle
  • Like 2

Andy Y's shots on page 1 have been changed to the Belpair firebox long bunker superheated version which I think is the better looking but not the one Bachmann are doing?

Confusing ??

The numbers quoted are all round top,short bunker versions.

I can see two possibilities for limited edition versions:

1. In L & Y livery as preserved at the NRM;

I don't know about the Wirral version, but I'd be fairly surprised if there wasn't a NRM release of No 1008 at some point in the next couple of years- Looking back at the NRM releases, so far we've had a mixture of new exclusive tooling (Deltic, Truro, the Compound) and reliveries of existing product (the GCR-liveried ROD, the PO wagon sets and the Hornby Scotsman)

An L&Y liveried version of the 2-4-2T would fit nicely into that- I'd certainly be tempted by one!

http://www.nrm.org.u...CT_937214_2.png

Edited by Andy Y
One link removed after security issues found

Andy's OP shots depict the later 2-4-2T's produced by Aspinall's successor. Note the shallow running plate valance and forward position of chimney of 10921 denoting is was a superheated loco. No doubt Bachmann will get around to the Belpaire etc variants in due course.

Edited by coachmann

another thing that was slightly putting me off kit building a 2-4-2 is that ive heard they can be quite tricky to get set up and running nicely.

after seeing how well the NRM compound runs with no wobbling and such smooth running im really looking forward to this, i think theyll do a great job.

Edited by michael delamar

another thing that was slightly putting me off kit building a 2-4-2 is that ive heard they can be quite tricky to get set up and running nicely.

I am actually thinking abouit building the Cotswold kit but with a proper chassis. ie Gibson frames. It would be of interest to me to hear from those who have actually done this successfully and their approach. My thought is to make the leading wheels compensated with the leading drivers. Rear axle to be on a pony truck arrangement (it should, by rights I think, be a radial axial, as should the front).

John