New OO gauge Class 73

I suppose I could do, but I've never done it before - how easy is it to do?

Make sure the picture is less than 1Mb, then go to "Reply with attachments" and attach with the "Choose Files" tab that will allow you to locate where the image is saved on your computer to select it.  When uploaded, just add it to the reply box using the tab provided (can't remember what that's called).  Alternatively, if you have a Flickr etc account, just link to the image there. 

http://www.hobb-e-mail.com/Dapol-4d006000-new-post-paid.html

Looks black from their picture of the actual model

Thanks.  Pictures of all four standard release models on their website, with useful enlargements:

Intercity: http://www.hobb-e-mail.com/Dapol-4d006000-new-post-paid.html

Large Logo blue: http://www.hobb-e-mail.com/Dapol-4d006001-new-post-paid.html

Blue: http://www.hobb-e-mail.com/Dapol-4d006002-new-post-paid.html

Green: http://www.hobb-e-mail.com/Dapol-4d006004-new-post-paid.html

From Pictures of the real loco the sometimes it looks very shiny black and sometimes very faded black, I've always found the use of dark grey to describe the livery as 

questionable. When does dark grey become light black?

You could also say there should be more orange in the yellow when you look at some pictures.

A quote from their website:

"The first 6 of the JB design were painted in the 'electric blue' livery whilst the remainder were painted in the new 'rail blue' corporate livery."

I have no idea if that is correct, I'll leave it to the experts to comment.

the first 6 were neither rail blue or electric blue, they were painted with an egg shell blue paint and was slightly paler than rail blue

• RMweb Premium

Executive dark grey was exactly that - dark grey and not black (light or otherwise) - but could appear black in photographs as we have seen above.  I have no record of any wearing black in that area at any time.

The JAs (E6001-6) did wear a slightly different shade of blue on the main body panels and the light grey skirt as well.  Parked on-shed at Brighton alongside a JB (E6007-49) there was usually an obvious and definitive difference.  At repaint all locos gained the same shade of "Rail Blue" which preceded TOPS renumbering.

From the images seen so far I consider the blue ones to be in acceptably correct shades but not the IC one which appears to be black where it should be dark grey as others have noted.  That would require a repaint to correct.  Apparent variations in blue could be down to paintshop application, weathering, perception, colour vision, film and processing and memory.

Edited by Gwiwer

as far as i know, comments regarding livery of the model are moot at the minute, as the photos being put about are still the ones of the pre production models. hopefully Hattons will update their site quickly to show the actual tones of paint used

Pretty sure the Hobby Shop pictures are of the production models I'm afraid.

The blue's too blue. The yellow's not yellow enough. The horns are wrong. The windows aren't triangular...

Sorry... just had a quick psychic glimpse into the immediate future of this thread....

:jester:

@Pete 75C - just over a week later and I think you definitely have second sight...

So how's this for an idea. We ask the major manufacturers to supply all their models only in primer coat. Then we, the purchaser, take ourselves off to our preferred paint supplier and buy the exact shade of colour(s) that we believe our models to be, so that we can then decorate our primed model in the relevant livery as we perceive it to be (the decals and other fittings would come in the box ready for us to apply). Selling the models in primer coat may also mean that we reduce the waiting time for the models to arrive on our shores. That way, we, the purchaser of the primed model, would be happy (happiness being a relative state of mind). Of course, I realise that this does not prevent discussion of the exact location of the nth rivet on the bufferbeam, from which much pleasure can also be derived

Of course, there could still be disagreements when two modellers of the same locomotive/wagon/coach happened to cross paths, but hopefully, that might happen at a more local level. Sadly, a side effect of this might be that sites like this one would be devoid of discussions regarding shades of grey/black/orange, but that may be something that the wider community has to miss out on - a small price to pay.

Just a thought...

Edited by Harry Lime
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Tbh, in 2015, should we expect to buy a £140 locomotive and have to correct livery errors ourselves? Yes, I know we are modellers (for the most part), but these sorts of livery hiccups are the sort of thing I would have expected from Lima 30 years ago.

I don't mind having to repaint / detail a £30 Lima loco from evilbay, but a brand new £100+ RTR loco?

• RMweb Gold

oh, and i hope the vestibule buffer is in the box

Just went back and looked at the pics from Warley, and they are all missing the buffing plates..... As you say, hope these are in the box, but why would they be a separate item for fitting anyway (perhaps to keep the price down)?

Pre-production models I have seen had the buffing plates fitted, think its just not fitted to display production models as they probably didn't want to break in to the sealed detail bag so they can still sell them all on later as new!

I think we still do see far too many basic errors on models. What's odd is you really would think manufacturers would get this right as it must hit sales, I know I have not bought many an item due to livery errors. Ones with livery errors are often the ones you see being sold heavily reduced some months later. As I said in a previous post modellers will be far more demanding now that prices are rocketing.

Edited by sanspareil

I might be being picky in the extreme here but even the printing on the box could be said to be wrong.

It says "Class 73 Diesel Electric Locomotive". Should be "Electro-Diesel locomotive" surely?

Edited by Hue Jarse

Hi just let you know if you are running on dcc the the light run in the wrong direction if you put sound decoder in it is ok if you but a Bachmann decoder it sill runs in the wrong direction you wil need to change the motor wire around on the circuit boards.

Hi Mark,

I've just spoken to Dapol about this as our review sample does the same on DCC (but not on straight DC), and I've just had the following answer back from Andy Forty.

"We have become aware of this and are working through a solution at the moment.

Changing CV 29 (add 1 if existing value is even, subtract 1 if odd) is the quick fix. Once we know the extent of the problem (we are working through stock doing a 100% test) we will be fixing the issue at source and will also offer this to customers who may not wish to change the CV’s."

So, they are aware and will be able to fix any others that crop up as the first batch goes out.

Hope this helps

Ben