New OO gauge Class 73

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear, I'm having flashbacks to the original Heljan 33 and its dodgy roof shape....

Glad i'm not the only one. I keep looking at the Dapol model and something doesn't seem right, but I can't put my finger on it. Mind you, could just be years of looking at the Lima model....

Is it just me with regards to the GM Ltd Ed 73101 livery; would others have preferred to have seen at least one of their two releases with the seemingly more common/more pleasing on the eye white roof?

The prototype photos on the GM Facebook page seem to show grey roof on both. The product photo imagery up until the prototypes showed white roof.

I know I could just re-spray the roof myself but at the inflated Ltd Ed price kind of puts me off a bit. I don't run 73's that much so may just keep my heavily detailed Lima version and do something with improving the mechanical side of things.

Is it just me with regards to the GM Ltd Ed 73101 livery; would others have preferred to have seen at least one of their two releases with the seemingly more common/more pleasing on the eye white roof?

The prototype photos on the GM Facebook page seem to show grey roof on both. The product photo imagery up until the prototypes showed white roof.

I know I could just re-spray the roof myself but at the inflated Ltd Ed price kind of puts me off a bit. I don't run 73's that much so may just keep my heavily detailed Lima version and do something with improving the mechanical side of things.

See post #497 on the previous page.

Thanks, I was reading pages and pages of this thread but missed the most important post!!!!

Well at least that's good news, but not good news for the wallet!

PS also have to hope a Shawplan et al nameplate fits nicely over the printed one as that doesn't seem to look too great. Im sure it wont be included with one.

Edited by sanspareil

Glad i'm not the only one. I keep looking at the Dapol model and something doesn't seem right, but I can't put my finger on it. Mind you, could just be years of looking at the Lima model....

Funny that is what people were doing back then too - saying that Lima had the shape right. Which was horlicks of course!

The underdangly bits on the Dapol look wonderful. Having chopped away at mine many years ago attempting the same its really nice to see.

attachicon.gifR2654-LN_3110256_Qty1_11.jpg

attachicon.gif144138604773205_SMPL_21.jpg

Just to provoke some thought, from the top - the ex-Lima, Hornby and Dapol versions.

That Lima moulding is still pretty good for its age (OK those buffers :no: ) - way back in 1981 ?? - seem to remember buying two from West Croydon models (?) - Eric (?) was the chap that ran it , opposite the bus station in between spotting RM's & DMS's ............... 35 years ago   :O

Excellent to see both GBRfs together. It highlights just how superior the Dapol one is. Demonstrates if anyone is happy to keep the Lima/Hornby rather then treat themselves to the new Dapol one might find themselves in the new Specsavers advert, where we see them playing with the Lima/Hornby one in bliss. Hmm, might email Specsavers!

The roof detail is significantly improved, with exhaust and grills to depth.

The body side is much sharper (especially noticeable around the glazing), with additional detailing in handle bars and grills, giving a far more superior look and feel over the old model.

Underfloor detail, well, just marvel at it!

The level of detailing is superb, and truly makes the Lima/Hornby one look outdated and destined for the bin.

Also the fact that Dapol are very receptive to polite at show, email and social media comments and contributions show they are keen to make the model as near perfect as possible, and have detailed production a few times to improve on comments. I don't see other manufacturers doing it, truly is a customer focused model.

• Like 1

Excellent to see both GBRfs together. It highlights just how superior the Dapol one is. Demonstrates if anyone is happy to keep the Lima/Hornby rather then treat themselves to the new Dapol one might find themselves in the new Specsavers advert, where we see them playing with the Lima/Hornby one in bliss. Hmm, might email Specsavers!

Nice to see you poking fun at people who'd rather save a few quid and do a little modelling...

:no:

• RMweb Gold

The Lima (now Hornby) one was a superb looking model for its time.

Its still looks good against the new Dapol one apart form the box underframe detail but IIRC I modified my one by filing various bits off it to give some profile so once wethered it looks OK. Not sure if I still have this one stored somewhere.

I have recently bought a Hornby one to repaint into Southern colours and hopefully will run on Star Lane. No need for slow moving high quality motors on this layout as there is no shunting or even station to stop at and it will be good to detail it. As Pete says proper modelling again.

However I am sure the Dapol one will be very nice and I plan get one of the Gaugmaster releases.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Had an email from a well known box shifter that BR blue 73135 will arrive between November 2015 and December 2015, whilst large logo blue 73105 will be between November 2015 and December 2016................ (typo methinks)

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Gold

Had an email from a well known box shifter that BR blue 73135 will arrive between November 2015 and December 2015, whilst large logo blue 73105 will be between November 2015 and December 2016................ (typo methinks)

Cheers,

Mick

Having seen some of the mythical arrival dates for the Class 73 from Dapol, this might not be such a mistake....

Seriously though, will be good to see the model in the flesh as it were. Having only seen it from 2 angles doesn't do it justice....

• RMweb Gold

I got this email about the green liveried version:

We thought you may like to know that an item you have asked us to notify when it arrives into stock, has had some information about its release date added or updated.

Dapol 4D-006-004 Class 73/0 electro-diesel E6003 in BR green with lower grey panels £105.00

Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us between November 2015 & December 2015

Whilst we are hopeful this information is accurate, manufacturer lead times are frequently prone to be delayed. This information is to be used as a guide only.

cheers,

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Several retailers have emailed their subscribing customers within the past day or so advising pre-orders are now open for the 73s.  Kernow MRC and Gaugemaster (Engine Shed) are among them.

• RMweb Premium

I'm really looking forward to these and it is one of the models I'm really excited about, probably just above the Hornby S15 but beneath the Hornby air smoothed Merchant Navy as one of my top three new tooling projects. I will not be offloading the old Limby versions however as the fact that there is a better model coming does not make the Limby version a bad model and with the Hornby motor bogie the older model is a very sweet runner if not as powerful as the sort of all wheel drive mechanisms and diecast chassis arrangements of more modern models. I see the same logic with the Bachmann warship models, the Class 43 is a cracking model but the fact it is a better model than the old Class 42 does not make the 42 a bad model and I've no intention of ditching my 42's either.

I have to say I'm glad Gaugemaster are changing the roof colour on 73101 to white but it would be nice to keep the fibreglass panels that grey colour!

With regards to the livery on 73101 when it was originally painted into the Pullman colours in 1991 (at Selhurst I believe) it had a white roof and yellow lining/numbers. The second time it was painted in 1997 (at Stewarts Lane) it featured a silver roof and gold lining/numbers and to be looked far more authentic!

So the model itself with what looks to be yellow lining/numbers and a white roof will be accurate for 1991-1996.

Darren 

I have to say I'm glad Gaugemaster are changing the roof colour on 73101 to white but it would be nice to keep the fibreglass panels that grey colour!

The Pullman livery doesn't rock my boat (train), but it should be a simple job to mask up the roof panels using a low-tack masking tape and change the colour, maybe a rattle-can tan colour?