New OO gauge Class 73

• RMweb Gold

Maybe the restricted upward movement is to prevent the bogie pivoting into anything fixed on the main chassis? Also excess vertical pivoting is not good for a two-axle bogie as the weight transfers onto the rear axle under power, thus trying to lift the lead axle, which can then derail. This is more pronounced on a two rather than three axle arrangement.

I get your point, but my Dapol Class 22 is a superb runner and doesn't seem handicapped by having a lot of vertical play in the bogies. It's not particularly an issue for me as my layout doesn't have gradients, but I wonder if it might be behind some of the complaints about pick-up?

• Like 1

Dapol have gagged you legally? Did you sign a non-disclosure agreement then? Or are you the recipient of a High Court injunction?

This is going to have the conspiracy theorists going into overdrive. It is going to make 9/11, Shergar, Lucan and the Bermuda Triangle look really petty. Who cares who killed Kennedy- we want to know this!

So in all the posts on this thread it seems I am alone getting finally after much effort a reply, which I am not allowed to share with you because Dapol have gagged me legally.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So in all the posts on this thread it seems I am alone getting finally after much effort a reply, which I am not allowed to share with you because Dapol have gagged me legally.

I get it ! They "know where you live".Could it possibly be that they also manage one of Vladimir Putin 's many slush funds and offshore accounts ? Reading some of the above posts this topic carries a health warning.....not for the faint hearted obviously.

I get it ! They "know where you live".Could it possibly be that they also manage one of Vladimir Putin 's many slush funds and offshore accounts ? Reading some of the above posts this topic carries a health warning.....not for the faint hearted obviously.

Could be the subject of a 'super injunction' which means he can't say that he's had any response of any kind from anybody in the world on any subject - phew, didn't know they had that power.

If it was a super injunction then it would mean that he is legally prevented from mentioning that he is legally prevented from disclosing whatever is the subject of the primary injunction.

This will end up as headlines in the daily fail next week.

Could be the subject of a 'super injunction' which means he can't say that he's had any response of any kind from anybody in the world on any subject - phew, didn't know they had that power.

To the best of my knowledge, Rapido Trains does not use Kickstarter or crowd-sourcing, although one or two commissioning groups, who use Rapido for manufacturing, certainly do so. Rapido simply operates a pre-order - a reservation - system with regard to manufacturing quantities. (CJL)

You are right Chris - it is the commissioners not Rapido themselves.

• RMweb Premium

I get your point, but my Dapol Class 22 is a superb runner and doesn't seem handicapped by having a lot of vertical play in the bogies. It's not particularly an issue for me as my layout doesn't have gradients, but I wonder if it might be behind some of the complaints about pick-up?

Fair point - If the wheels aren't on the track, then pickup will definitely be an issue. Although I think the real issue with the pickups is the design of them. Great pics of them here and Ian's mods to them. They look very susceptible to dirt or more probably over-lubrication. There's two contact points, wheel-bearing and bearing-pickup to collect cr*p.  Although I prefer pickups to bear directly on the back of the wheel as they tend to be more "self-cleaning", I'd be tempted as a first try to bend the pickups a bit more onto the bearings, as well as giving the bearings a good clean before the larger mod detailed in the link.

I wonder if the power bogie design is similar to the 22 with the pickups contacting the bearings. Can anybody compare them as I haven't got either yet (still holding back as I want a yellow 73 or two and hoping that the price will drop before I go stripping one down)

TBH, as an afterthought, vertical fore and aft bogie play is more of an issue in older single power bogie locos that the all-wheel drive systems with diecast chassis we have today

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Fair point - If the wheels aren't on the track, then pickup will definitely be an issue. Although I think the real issue with the pickups is the design of them. Great pics of them here and Ian's mods to them. They look very susceptible to dirt or more probably over-lubrication. There's two contact points, wheel-bearing and bearing-pickup to collect cr*p.  Although I prefer pickups to bear directly on the back of the wheel as they tend to be more "self-cleaning", I'd be tempted as a first try to bend the pickups a bit more onto the bearings, as well as giving the bearings a good clean before the larger mod detailed in the link.

Does seem like an over-fussy design, indeed. 

I bet those waiting for the class 68 have a cold shiver running up their backs !

Seriously though, on the subject of customer service, I'm not surprised the replies are not forthcoming - I don't imagine the customer service department is even a department or as some would imagine looks like Dysons call centre.

I get the impression it's a very small set up.

Just read the review in the latest Horby magazine, they love it so the people on this forum must be the"ill-informed quibblers, who contradict each other" that they refer to.

At least the review in RM recognized some of the issues with the buffer beam and the livery.

E

Further to my last post 26th January, this is the running total of feedback from RMWebbers so far in the last 3 days. I haven't gone backwards before 26th January - I know many other members have complained. The data assumes all models returned are due to dissatisfaction. Notice that 12% of customers expressed disasstisfaction but kept the model.

23rd January - 26th   Purchased 32 Returned 21 % Returned 66 Dissatisfied / Faulty 25 % Dissatisfied 78     Will not buy first or subsequent model due to reviews / poor experience

• RMweb Premium

Did we really need numerous near identical posts in two or three threads from the same poster repeating the same complaints ad nauseum?  Yes we get the message, you had a lot of duds, we really don't need to hear it again and again.

I have always found where one person has repeated problems with multiple models it is more often down to the handling of said models by the purchaser rather than the manufacturer, there will never be that many duds all going to the same person at the same time, its mathematically impossible.  Needless to say this reason is usually the last to be identified if at all by the person having the repeated problems.

Edited by John M Upton

Further to my last post 26th January, this is the running total of feedback from RMWebbers so far in the last 3 days. I haven't gone backwards before 26th January - I know many other members have complained. The data assumes all models returned are due to dissatisfaction. Notice that 12% of customers expressed disasstisfaction but kept the model.

23rd January - 26th  

Purchased 32

Returned 21

% Returned 66

Dissatisfied / Faulty 25

% Dissatisfied 78    

Will not buy first or subsequent model due to reviews / poor experience

Tidied up

23rd January - 26th  

Purchased 32

Returned 21

% Returned 66

Dissatisfied / Faulty 25

% Dissatisfied 78    

Will not buy first or subsequent model due to reviews / poor experience

well shoot the messenger. i actually discussed the email I received with Andy York and he advised me that i or RMWEB could be sued if i published the email because it said it ws confidential so i respect that, but it was the legal threat from Dapol that stopped us.

also i got emails from respected and prominante people who have been threatened by Dapol themselves.

anyway the email did not say anything that cannot be guessed. Stuff like nothing wrong with our models, its not our fault, but there were some surprizing new news. That is what the buzz is about. I have also asked around at work like I was asked to do and there will be some shocking news to come.

Is it something to do with Dapol catenary - only you used the words 'buzz' and 'shocking' which I thought was a hint :tongue2:

Did we really need numerous near identical posts in two or three threads from the same poster repeating the same complaints ad nauseum?  Yes we get the message, you had a lot of duds, we really don't need to hear it again and again.

I have always found where one person has repeated problems with multiple models it is more often down to the handling of said models by the purchaser rather than the manufacturer, there will never be that many duds all going to the same person at the same time, its mathematically impossible.  Needless to say this reason is usually the last to be identified if at all by the person having the repeated problems.

Hi John, if you are referring to my post, those models didn't all go to me by the way (I only had two) I gathered those figures together in rebuff to the accusation by another person/organisation that everyone on RMWeb are a bunch of whingers and also represent a minority of the total purchases of this model, which Dapol say is selling well with few complaints.

Perhaps this is one reason why Dapol admits it doesn't follow this thread, because they are misinformed. Everyone is bandying about numbers and the only people who can possibly know for sure are the members on here, who on the contrary I believe represent a larger proportion of the purchasers. So please other members do send in the figures and I will collate them.

I wouldn't be surpised right now if larger manufacturers are taking a look at Dapol's repertoire of dies and considering what they might offer to purchase some of them - why not? You'd save a heap on R&D, it would be like stealing candy from a baby.

Has anyone actually confirmed that there is even going to be a second batch of BR Blue for example?

We may well regret not buying the mis-liveried examples or sending back the ones we were disappointed with due to livery issues or a relatively quick PCB fix because the next time they reappear, (if they reappear) although they may be cheaper, they will also be devoid of the level of detail we see at present.

Ade

Edited by Andy Y
Legally questionable statements removed.

• RMweb Premium

I really think this thread has run its course. The last few pages (more than the last few) have been a circular process going around the same arguments and opinions. I really don't see anything that adds anything to the debate now. Some like the model, some think it is basically a good model let down by poor QC and colours, some are very cross and see everything about the model negatively. I think it is time to accept that it is what it is, make our own choices on the subject and move on rather than just keep going around the same circle.

• Like 1

Hi,

Would anybody mind suggesting a suitable 21-pin decoder for one of these Dapol 73's please ?

I've tried using a Bachmann 21-pin to 8-pin converter and a spare 8-pin decoder but am unable to make it work this way.

Many Thanks,

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

Edited by Shedmaster

I found that trimming the under cab bogie lugs has improved my running/pickup (but not totally resolved it), there is enough underframe/bogie clearance for light trimming. As delivered the very limited movement in some directions 'overloads' the outer axles unless you have very flat track, no wear on points etc.

Really wish Hornby/Bachmann et al had the forthcoming class 59/68 on their books and not Dapol! The others are of course historically not totally in the clear but I think in a different league to Dapol generally.

Edited by sanspareil

I really think this thread has run its course. The last few pages (more than the last few) have been a circular process going around the same arguments and opinions. I really don't see anything that adds anything to the debate now. Some like the model, some think it is basically a good model let down by poor QC and colours, some are very cross and see everything about the model negatively. I think it is time to accept that it is what it is, make our own choices on the subject and move on rather than just keep going around the same circle.

Welcome to the world on internet forums sadly. Just the way it goes. Still larger in the real world though, the internet certainly represents a demographic but not the majority

Its unfortunate that decoration and performance issues are letting the model down, but I certainly will wait until Ive seen a 59 with my own eyes before I open my wallet :(

Edited by LaGrange

A shame as their OO Western and class 22 seem to have been pretty well received on the whole.

Maybe other batches will be improved. AFAIK there were more faults with the functioning of the model that cannot be compromised because it is a model that is supposed to work. I hope further batches will have these issues sorted out.

The model looks perfectly fine to me, having wipers facing the same direction is a possibility in the real world, the dimples on the roof are again prototypical and I cannot be bothered about small latches on a battery box!

The model looks superb to be, I've heard about a lot of operational faults and hence not bought one. I'm waiting for a EWS livery one