Bachmann Jubilee

Lochinvar

The good news is that Hattons (whose web-site always strikes me as disarmingly frank about their stock levels) have "Rodney" on offer at the absurdly low price of £56 - DCC-fitted. They also have "Baroda" (non-DCC) available at a very generous discount. (Rails were doing the much the same with their "Hong Kong" a few weeks ago).

The bad news?...as above really,because the clear inference must be that these are not selling at all well,and that those of us still hoping that Bachmann might eventually do a bit of re-tooling to produce a "longer firebox" example can forget it. Does anyone read it differently?

DR.

• Like 1

The bad news?...as above really,because the clear inference must be that these are not selling at all well,and that those of us still hoping that Bachmann might eventually do a bit of re-tooling to produce a "longer firebox" example can forget it. Does anyone read it differently?

DR.

Maybe because the Jubilee model, outstanding though it is, has been around for a few years now, and most people who want one now have one (or several). At the prices you mention, it certainly is tempting to buy extra and maybe re-number or modify one.

They were graceful locomotives, and always look good in model form with those large drivers a valve gear...

Rob

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Gold

It is disappointing that these don't seem to be selling. Other traders have also been selling Baroda at similar prices in recent months. Slow sales of the retooled Jubilee were cited as a reason by Bachmann not to retool the bodies of the locos that are recieving new chassis (the V2 for example). Can't really understand why the Jubilee is a slow seller as its a superb model and essential for LMR layouts.

I am not wholly sure if the reason for the bargain prices we see from time to time is due to the retailer clearing their existing stocks, but rather the manufacturer doing a deal to clear stocks from their own warehouses by offering retailers a much reduced cost price in return for a volume order which can then be sold at an attractive price.

I suspect that this occured some months back with the Hornby Schools class loco with sound, which was being sold for around £210.00 and had reached 'limited stock' levels then suddenly the price was reduced to £129.00 with 'more than 10 in stock' for a few weeks before they all sold through.

Rails have recently been offering reduced prices on Sound version class 44/45.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the heads up.

I've wanted to add a Jube to my roster for a few years and this was the impetus to order. Hattons do this from time to time (remember the cut price Bachmann 47s a few years ago?), and I hope that they sell these quickly and continue to do so. This is a real bargain bearing in mind the DCC chip at current pricing is £12.

I think the bargain may correspond to the current bank holiday - although I believe they've been discounted now a few weeks.

Neil

The bad news?...as above really,because the clear inference must be that these are not selling at all well,

I disagree, it's not a clear inference at all.

. Slow sales of the retooled Jubilee were cited as a reason by Bachmann not to retool the bodies of the locos that are recieving new chassis (the V2 for example).

Not quite correct IIRC, the reasoning was that the Jube and the Standard 4 had not sold any better than if they'd just had new chassis.

Maybe because the Jubilee model, outstanding though it is, has been around for a few years now, ...

As Rob says, the retooled Jube has been out at least four years, possibly more, I'm open to correction but I think these examples are the second run.

Every time something is sold cheaply, we go through this process of speculation, overanalysis and getting two and two to make five. It'll just be stock clearance to make way for newer items, it's hardly an unknown phenomenon with consumer goods.

• Like 6

If you want a LFB Jubilee with decent running qualities, may I suggest that you could put a new chassis under an old Mainline body and detail to taste.

Unfortunately, it's not a straight replacement. You need to hack some plastic out to make room for the rear drivers and provide new mounting points. Even then, the middle drivers do not match their splashers.

Alan

Edited by benachie

Flippin'eck! A Bacchie Jubilee - for only £56 - with DCC on board… absolute no-brainer even if it was purple with green spots! Nothing that a couple of decals, a lick of paint and spot of weathering couldn't sort.

.... Slow sales of the retooled Jubilee were cited as a reason by Bachmann not to retool the bodies of the locos that are recieving new chassis (the V2 for example)...

Which is an irritating thing. I really think they have misread the signals on this one. The background, a long time produced decently tooled model of the sloping throatplate type in the Mainline and then the Bachmann range. So they roll out the earlier version as the all-new replacement and then find the sales disappointing. Had Sophia Loren in the range, replaced it with Sophia Coppola. And there's also the closely related Gina Lollabrigida and Raquel Welch available. Folks buy eye-candy and one larger boilered Crewe type express 4-6-0 looks much like another, just some are that bit prettier...

Now when they come to what has always been a poor piece of tooling in the form of the V2 - a loco which is the Kristin Scott-Thomas design of the loco world - they don't retool to produce what would be a really stunning item. It's not normally something I would wish for, but Hornby! - opportunity here.

• Like 2

Hope this doesn't elicit a snort of derision but I too bought a Jubile on offer from Hattons for £56 with chip fitted, named Drake btw, problem is I can't make out how to get the tender attached to the loco.

Am I missing something obvious, the connection plate on the loco seems to fit over a stud on the tender but how is it held in place, searched through the bag of extra bits that came with the loco but no sign of any thing like a screw e.g. to hold the connecting plate onto the tender, any help much appreciated.

I try to model LMS region and whatever the merits behind the much reduced price of this loco to my mind it's a bargain and a very good looking model.

• RMweb Premium

I sometimes think that reading this Forum is a danger to my wealth. I have a couple of Jubilees but wasn't aware that Drake was being sold for £56.

My Visa card is in my hand and flexing itself right at the moment.

Irrespective of the "age" of the model, it is superb.

Jeff

Hope this doesn't elicit a snort of derision but I too bought a Jubile on offer from Hattons for £56 with chip fitted, named Drake btw, problem is I can't make out how to get the tender attached to the loco.

Am I missing something obvious, the connection plate on the loco seems to fit over a stud on the tender but how is it held in place, searched through the bag of extra bits that came with the loco but no sign of any thing like a screw e.g. to hold the connecting plate onto the tender, any help much appreciated.

I try to model LMS region and whatever the merits behind the much reduced price of this loco to my mind it's a bargain and a very good looking model.

The drawbar is not held by anything. Once the loco and tender are both horizontal, they will not separate.

If you're running on DCC, you probably need to cut off the two capacitors, otherwise it will be rather jerky.

Alan

Am I missing something obvious, the connection plate on the loco seems to fit over a stud on the tender but how is it held in place...

Now, I don't have a new Jubilee, but one other Bach loco I have (think it was the Ivatt 4MT) the drawbar drooped so much, and the slot in the tender front which it goes through was so deep, that engagement on the tender peg was very poor. Brute force and ignorance solution: bend the drawbar upwards a little.

On quite a few locos where I want scale separation of loco and tender and Bachmann haven't provided the right positioning option (9Fs are one example) I cut off the tender peg, and just bung a short self tapper through a drawbar hole in an appropriate place on the tender underside. Quick and simple 'semi-permanent' coupling.

If you want a LFB Jubilee with decent running qualities, may I suggest that you could put a new chassis under an old Mainline body and detail to taste.

Unfortunately, it's not a straight replacement. You need to hack some plastic out to make room for the rear drivers and provide new mounting points.

Alan

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that. You used to be able to buy Bachmann replacement (split?) chassis for a Royal Scot. Just by snipping off the rear extension that was a straight swap for the original chassis. Pity they are not available any more.

• RMweb Premium

If you're running on DCC, you probably need to cut off the two capacitors, otherwise it will be rather jerky.

Alan

Not necessarily. I don't want to reopen the yes/no capacitors debate, but my Jub. works fine with the Bachmann decoder fitted out of the box. Presumably the Back EMF settings are right for my loco, which is good because once the capacitors are removed converting back to DC is a bit more difficult...

• RMweb Gold

Oh Lord!

I have 4 of these already most special editions, including Gilbert and Ellice, Windward Islands and Bahamas. As well as 2 Brassmaster kits to build!

Tempted though I am, I simply can't justify another even at this price. :-(

Steve

Guest stuartp

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that. You used to be able to buy Bachmann replacement (split?) chassis for a Royal Scot. Just by snipping off the rear extension that was a straight swap for the original chassis. Pity they are not available any more.

They are still available on Ebay, there are at least 4 on there at the moment (although the seller of three of them has an over-optimistic view of what they're worth I think). Both my Mainline LFB Jubs are now running on these. They're still split chassis but they have the later Bachmann can motor and metal slide bars, although with plain rimmed wheels rather than bevelled.

Unfortunately, out of all the available Kingmoor Jubillees I could use (Kashmir, Inflexible, Dreadnought, Arethusa, Tyrwhitt, Samson, Orion, Leviathon, Perseverance, Connaught and Staits Stettlements were all definate sightings on the Port Road,) only Kashmir was a SFB loco and I'm sorted there already. Mind you, at that price it's almost worth putting one in the loft just in case.

• Like 2

I did a workbench on the old and new Jubilee when the latest offering came out. Putting a decent chassis under the old long-firebox body is like gold plating a plastic spoon. It's in the same league as the Hornby 4F..........1980's fourth division....

post-6680-0-43624300-1338809036.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 3

Now when they come to what has always been a poor piece of tooling in the form of the V2 - a loco which is the Kristin Scott-Thomas design of the loco world - they don't retool to produce what would be a really stunning item. It's not normally something I would wish for, but Hornby! - opportunity here.

I wish to hell they had done that instead of wasting time on the B1. The Bachy V2 once you know its wrong really grates!

• Like 2

I did a workbench on the old and new Jubilee when the latest offering came out. Putting a decent chassis under the old long-firebox body is like gold plating a plastic spoon. It's in the same league as the Hornby 4F..........1980's fourth division....

post-6680-0-43624300-1338809036.jpg

I am in process of grafting a chunk of boiler + LFB from an old model into one of these cheapo "Drake" SFBs which is not too difficult and keeps most of the improved aspects of the newer model.

Alan

• Like 3