Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

1 hour ago, jwealleans said:

Oliver, I hope you don't mind my reposting some of your pictures as I've been rereading the last few pages with a clearer head and there are some nice details visible. 

Not in the slightest - great to have a behind-the-scenes explainer and details I'd not spotted pointed out.

For the readers' benefit, these photos are just a standard iPhone job shot from behind the spectator barrier, with as little zoom as possible.

Previously I've been guilty of enjoying exhibitions 'through a lens' too much, arriving home with lots of photos and shaky video but not having just enjoyed watching a railway operating. Happily there was time last week to watch the whole Grantham sequence almost twice, once for a few keepsake photos, and again to just enjoy the sights. 

Any videos would've been soundtracked with squeals of delight from younger onlookers spotting the new horse...

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jonathan for those insights. I spent most of the weekend inside Grantham and did not realise that those outside were sometimes seeing something different!

Glad you're feeling better.

Bazza

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

For the privileged few there were advance tours of the new scenic features available at Leeds.

spacer.png

Maybe we should offer this as a premium package at future shows?

Looks like @Nicktoix examining the bookshelves. Surely he's got enough already?

On 25/10/2021 at 16:49, jwealleans said:

The pair of Howldens parked next to the Quint set - was it you asking about those? - are both D189 Luggage Composites, one by D& S, the other Mousa Models (Bill Bedford).  

No 4 wheelers to my knowledge but plenty of 6 wheelers.   The ones in view in the 1938 train are a mixture of scratchbuilt and built using Mike Trice 3D printed sides.   Others I know of are mainly D & S.  Mousa (Bill) has done some in resin but I don't believe we use any at shows.   There's a D303 6 wheel van of his runs on a couple of the express sets, but he no longer supplies the kit.

It was me, and this is so helpful, thank you!

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

DSC01882.JPG.2cf9f309306c9c62485a9445411ae86b.JPG

And here's the tallest one in position, over double the height of the standard Ratio product. For reasons that are unclear to me, the GNR chose to string the run so that it passed right over the top of the warehouse. Could it not have run in front of it? You'd have really needed a head for heights to attend to those insulators! Any telegraph pole experts out there able to provide an explanation?

No idea why the GN opted for that, I can only presume they recruited from travelling circus and tried to get as much as possible for their money....

IMG_20171108_0001.jpg.1b2cf340c8f7747d71d8268a341ede0a.jpg

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Maybe we should offer this as a premium package at future shows?

Gawd, don't start down that route... before you know it there will be VIP only corporate sponsored marquees in front of the interesting bits where nobs can sup champagne and scoff canapes while the rest of us are herded into rickety enclosures at the far ends of the layout. 

Just like airshows these days...

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

33 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

No idea why the GN opted for that, I can only presume they recruited from travelling circus and tried to get as much as possible for their money....

Or proper 'sailing ship' sailors who didn't like being made redundant by steam?

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

Seeing the telegraph poles on the layout and the above picture  brings back memories of my time working for GPO telephones in the 1960,s.Going up a really tall pole was a bit unnerving at first but you got used to it the tallest I went up was forty feet unbolting an arm meant leaning back quite a way  the view was good and made up for the long cliimb .

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, drmditch said:

Re: Working at height (again)

Does anyone know what it was like replacing the signal lamps on Durham (North Road) Viaduct?

Might have been worse over an up train - working against the gradient!

It was bad enough doing it in the wind and rain on a gantry that had its legs very firmly planted on terra firma.  That one would have been horrendous especially if you looked down.  But no doubt plenty of other willing Lampies could be found in the dole queue back in those days so h whoever had that job didn't have much choice.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Gawd, don't start down that route... before you know it there will be VIP only corporate sponsored marquees in front of the interesting bits where nobs can sup champagne and scoff canapes while the rest of us are herded into rickety enclosures at the far ends of the layout. 

Just like airshows these days...

My goodness dear Doc, it is as it should be. One cannot have the riff-raff mixing with well mannered educated people of the better classes.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

DSC01882.JPG.2cf9f309306c9c62485a9445411ae86b.JPG

That is rather impressive.  How long are they prototypically ?  It must have been a bit of a challenge getting long enough lengths of timber, or was there some form of join part way up ?

Adrian

• Thanks 1

On 25/10/2021 at 21:00, jwealleans said:

Thank you, Tony.   I'm afraid I didn't manage the shot of the K3 I promised.  That was due to be my job on Sunday morning.

I can offer this one posed on my layout before coal and weathering.   The one beyond it is an SEF kit, unknown builder but painted by Larry Goddard.

spacer.png

One of us will have to do the action shot at Doncaster.

Thanks Jonathan,

You've finished it beautifully.

The things which stand out for me the most are the correct-sized driving wheels. 

I'm at the Doncaster Show in my role as demonstrator/loco doctor. If I may, I'll take its picture on Grantham at the show.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

It was bad enough doing it in the wind and rain on a gantry that had its legs very firmly planted on terra firma.  That one would have been horrendous especially if you looked down.  But no doubt plenty of other willing Lampies could be found in the dole queue back in those days so h whoever had that job didn't have much choice.

Going up this one at Oxley was not too clever  especially if like me when l had to test the wiring on the arm repeating during the commissioning of the new signal box. It would have been better if I had not gone there straight from an all night party. :bo_mini:

post-9767-029667100%201291072153_thumb.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, drmditch said:

Or proper 'sailing ship' sailors who didn't like being made redundant by steam?

Interesting comment - my first thought on seeing that photo was "HMS Ganges".

• Like 1

On 28/10/2021 at 20:32, LNER4479 said:

I await the arrival of a telegraph pole expert as I am equally interested to know the answers to your questions, especially the second one!

This may be all you need (and more): https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=1150266 .  It seems that a 'highly desirable' in setting out a pole route across an area where there were buildings, sidings etc. was to minimise deviation from straight lines both vertically and horizontally, thus avoiding the need for inclined stay wires from near the tops of the poles to ground level which would be inconvenient/hazardous in such places.  At Grantham, perhaps avoiding the passenger station buildings (by going behind them) dictated that the alignment passed above the roof of the grain warehouse (as it couldn't be taken around the building without resorting to pole stays)? 

Edited by 61070
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2