Dapol 2012/3 - New catalogue announcements

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Cracking list of stuff for N gauge but the EWS liveried O gauge 08 has gone! Surely not? Even had a note from Hattons telling me it's cancelled as I had an order in. :-(

Cheers

Dave

FINALLY some OO pre-war GWR Passenger stock to current standards :yahoo:

OO Gauge

OO gauge development continues apace with the Western and Class 73, plus the disc headcode class 22’s.

However we have found time to develop the following;

GWR streamlined Railcar

(With grateful thanks to help from Steam Museum (Swindon))

This Railcar has long been admired by modellers but never produced in any gauge as a RTR model.

Ours will benefit from the Laser scanning technique, combines with works drawings and a comprehensive photo survey.

The chassis leaves us able to produce not only cars 2-4 but also, at a later date cars 5-7.

Featuring full internal art deco detailing with internal lighting, and cab details. Our tried and tested award winning diesel locomotive chassis design and PluX22 DCC compatibility.

4D-011-000 streamlined railcar #3 (GWR Lined choc/cream + grey roof)

4D-011-001 streamlined railcar #2 GWR Choc & cream with white roof....

Thank you Dapol Dave - sign me up for one of each (#2 and #3). Can we persuade to do other pre-war GWR passenger rolling stock?

Guest Moria

Ok it's taken me nearly 7 hours to find my wallet again. At some point, reading this post from the start itdid a runner and hid. So now a dilemma.. Since this anouncement has compltely obliterated my CJM fleet (2 x 59's, 1x 56, 1x33 and a 92 I don't have OHLE for) I wonder if the time has come to use the proceeds of selling that fleet to buy all the replacements and extras I now want to buy.

Oh why did I also include a preserved line in my layout, theres very little announced that I cant use in N

Regards to all except Dave at Dapol :)

Graham

• RMweb Gold

With the railcars, I assume one has the original "Great Western" and the other Shirt Button? (and hence some re branding will be needed for the late 40s GW).

Another question, I've been trying my usual destination for loco allocations for my 47/48 period (railuk.info) but havent been able to locate the railcars. Where were nos 2- 4 based post war?

(Now waiting to be told to look in the GW railcars book (which unfortunately is at home 3 hours drive away)

Not that its going to stop me buying one, I've always loved the shape of the streamlined version...

Great to see the 0 gauge stuff - it should bring more into the scale.

A small point about the Southern brake van: the CAD image shows it with sandboxes, but these were removed during BR days, making the BR offerings inaccurate. Could the van be made available in two versions, viz. with and without the sandboxes?

• RMweb Premium

Pretty impressive programme, I've been out of N scale for some time and their class 33 modelled to 21st century standards could tempt me back. The Maunsells are also welcome but I'll wait to see what exact types will be produced (e.g. high/low corridor windows)

I'm also pleased that a Terrier is to appear in O as if I'd ever wanted to model in that scale, unlikely for now, one of that class would be my first loco in the senior scale.

• RMweb Gold

With the railcars, I assume one has the original "Great Western" and the other Shirt Button? (and hence some re branding will be needed for the late 40s GW).

Another question, I've been trying my usual destination for loco allocations for my 47/48 period (railuk.info) but havent been able to locate the railcars. Where were nos 2- 4 based post war?

(Now waiting to be told to look in the GW railcars book (which unfortunately is at home 3 hours drive away)

Not that its going to stop me buying one, I've always loved the shape of the streamlined version...

I'm assuming these are the ones Dapol are doing.The Park Royal body version never been available RTR. http://www.greatwest...org.uk/aec1.htm

A nice photo of No 4 to found here taken at Steam museum. 1934-built GWR AEC/Park Royal streamlined railcar no. 4 (later BR W4W) at the Museum of the Great Western Railway, Swindon on 28th August 2005.

I've told the kids that they are going to be starved for the next 18 months and I'm seriously considering transferring all my banking to Dapol Dave! lol

Seriously, brilliant news on the 33/50/59 loco's.

Good luck with them all Dapol, hope they sell by the boatload!

Enjoy your holiday Dave, but hurry back!

Cheers

Mark

Quick question about the 21/29 announcement.

Are the four 29's announced today different or in addition to the six 21/29 models announced last year which included 3 X 21's in plain green and 3 X 29's in various liveries?

I ask as I (probably like many others) have the 2 of the 3 Class 21 variants on pre-order and was wondering if these are valid models meaning cancellation of the order? Can anyone shed any light on this?

Other than that looks like Dapol have an excellent program.

Cheers.

Now that I am resigned to selling the farm and the grandchildren, re my earlier excited post, may I humbly suggest that if it isn't already part of the plan that the Maunsells be available in coach sets as per the prototype?

Whatever, I will be buying loads of stuff!

Well done Dave

Gerry

A couple of things that have surprised me on this announcement.

1: - No class 117 - Thought it would be a natural progression on the 121/122 &

2: - No class 205 - I thought it was the case that Dapol were still developing the N scale version even though Bachmann were doing the OO version.

Cromptons will cause me to part with some cash but would have preferred GFY or push-pull pre-tops.

Steve

Hi Rich - a quick glance at the Wild Swan Railcars Supplement has the following...

No.2 : Cardiff at war's end, then to Newport 11/46, then to Landore 5/47, then back to Newport 11/47.

No.3 : Stourbridge at war's end, then to Landore 11/46, then to Newport 3/47, then back to Landore 9/47.

No.4 : Stourbridge at Wars end, then to newport 1/47, then to Landore 5/47.

Alas there's nothing in the Supplement beyond that.

Interesting to read in the Jim Russell book that five of the thirty eight vehicles built were withdrawn due to fire damage!

With the railcars, I assume one has the original "Great Western" and the other Shirt Button? (and hence some re branding will be needed for the late 40s GW). ..

Nos 2, 3 and 4 were introduced in July-Sept 1934 and carried the shirtbutton from new. Only No 1 carried the GREAT WESTERN livery.*

When introduced, No2 and No4 went to Tyseley and No 3 to Cardiff. On 15/7/1947, No2 and No4 were at Landore, No3 at Newport and spent most of the next few years there.

Nick

Edit:

Alas there's nothing in the Supplement beyond that.

Much more detail in the Colin Judge book.

Edit 2:

No4 has appeared with GREAT WESTERN on the sides, but only AFAICT in preservation.

As an N gauge modeller I am impressed and pleased by these announcements. It is clear that Dapol is really taking the fight to Bachmann/Farish (the new train sets are telling!) and the competition can only be good for the hobby - assuming prices are kept in check and quality control is maintained.

I am particular looking foward to the new Hoovers. They are truly welcome! The Cl 50 is one of my favourite locos but my interest has always been tempered by the unattractive Farish model. I can foresee this changing now!

One loco not announced (which I admittedly had no basis at all to expect to see save for Dapol's past history of making big surprises) was a new Cl 40. In a way I am relieved as it means my too-large collection of Farish Cl 40s has not been made completely obsolete at one stroke and they can soldier on.

Well done, Dapol. You have made the long wait for the new catalogue worth our while.

Matt

How can we not be impressed by the commitment to the hobby that Dapol are showing?

Something for almost everyone in amongst that lot I suspect.

Good to see the 14xx's back for another run, and those Panniers look truly excellent.

Have to say though for me it is slightly disappointing, I had hoped to see the most neglected of models covered - the LNER Tank Loco, aside from the Farish J94 which may loosely be described as such, there is not a single one made by anyone, and with the Terrier and M7 even the Southern does better!

Maybe one day...

Roy

A couple of things that have surprised me on this announcement.

1: - No class 117 - Thought it would be a natural progression on the 121/122 &

2: - No class 205 - I thought it was the case that Dapol were still developing the N scale version even though Bachmann were doing the OO version.

The 117 will require some trailer vehicles modelling which is more work. The 122 is an easy step from the 121. Looking at Dapol's history of developing related families of stock, I would not be suprised to see the 64' DMU chassis put to other uses but I think we will have to wait a little while.

I had not heard of the N gauge 205 being confirmed. Either way, if Bachmann are looking into the 00 model then I can understand Dapol leaving it alone. More duplication like the B1 is not really in anyone's interest.

Interesting to read in the Jim Russell book that five of the thirty eight vehicles built were withdrawn due to fire damage!

The class were a bit prone to it. IIRC is was something to do with oil splashing onto a hot part of the engine at high speeds.

Hi chaps,

Just to let you know there were some errors that crept into the final draught of the catalogue while i was away ill.

This included 3 of the 4 panniers having the wrong running number, the slim Jim number that should be for a 33/0, a 59 with the wrong name, and 2 Westerns sharing the same number but different names.

Obviously this isnt something that can be put right for the catalogue, but i will note all the 'wrong uns' and have an addendum put out on here, our website, with the magazines and stockists once i return from my holiday.

Sorry

Dave

Just make sure you don't get sick again when it gets close to time for the actual models to get made. :-)

Chris

Hi guys,

I have resisted temptation to re-introduce the M7 at the moment for the following reasons;

It was a model introduced prior to my joining Dapol and I have never been happy with it, meaning I'd like to re-chassis it with modern thinking technology, including a DCC ready chassis, split tungsten frames, and see through profile wheels along with better bogie pickups.

This costs a silly amount of Monet and what with all that's been announced plus 2 or 3 possible surprises the cupboard for the time being is relatively bare.

One day I'll re do it, along with the 14xx and Ivatt, that's for sure, but in the meantime I have a few ideas and basic designs for a couple of nice workaday small loco's.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dave

Archived