Jim s-w's road vehicles thread

Guest jim s-w

Guest jim s-w

Apologies if this has been asked before (famous last words...), but what do you use as paint stripper? :)

Hi Will

I tend to strip them back to their component parts then just sit the metal bits in nail varnish remover for a few hours.

HTH

Jim

Guest jim s-w

Thanks

It does seem that they were about 50/50 white vans to other colours (relying on pics from the era being pretty random - don't worry I have more in other colours). I don't know what the split is now, perhaps 75% White vans. I am glad I am not modelling now though with all the complicated liveries.

Cheers

Jim

Guest jim s-w

Good Call chaps

A little tweak is now in progress!

Paul - you are right about the bedford CF but how to do one? Also a bedford rascal would be good too.

Cheers

Jim

Guest jim s-w

Hi All

Thanks to your feedback my Lutons now have a representation of Translucent roofs.

transit%20lutons.jpg

Another project that was a tad more involved than I first thought was my VW van.

battered%20VW%20van.jpg

The main thing was to file the windscreen aperature to allow a much wider window. Another minor mod was to thin the bumper down under the doors where it forms a step.

Cheers

Jim

Guest jim s-w

Hi All

Progress on my White arrow van

white%20arrow%20van%201b.jpg

white%20arrow%20van%202b.jpg

A little comparison of where it started from. I am hoping this might end up another signature vehicle (like my WHSmiths lorry) that spark a few memories for people.

Cheers

Jim

Hi Jim,

I do remember seeing the white arrow vans, top job. I like the VW van too. Would there be much work involved to make a later one with indicators up level with the grille? I am not sure if there were any other differences.

Cheers Peter.

Considering that your White Arrow van (so ubiquitous in these parts in my youth!) and the rest of your MkII fleet started off as MkIs, I'm doubly impressed - and with your handful of examples above, you've really encapsulated the variety of styles which made up the MkII range at the time, apart from possibly a really ratty builder's dropsider!

Guest jim s-w

Thanks Steve

I do fancy another 3. One a drop side, one another LWB van but with the twin rear wheels and the last one a BTP bus (again LWB) for the new street car park

Cheers

Jim

Guest jim s-w

Hi All

Been tidying up a few loose ends of stuff thats been OMWB for a long time. So long that I forgot all about this one!

forgotten%20cargo.jpg

Another ford cargo combined out of a Corgi Cab, base toys chassis, unknown wheels and a body made using the Hornby Curtain sided van sides.

Cheers

Jim

Guest jim s-w

Theres really no excuse for these 2 to have taken so long when you consider they were already built for me.

mk3%20transits.jpg

Mk3 Transits from the MBC kits. These would have been really new in my era so the weathering is very light.

Cheers

Jim

Guest jim s-w

Finally for today A before and after shot showing what can be had from the toybox.

mercedes307d%20compared.jpg

In this case the Corgi mobile shop, narrowed, fitted with new wheels and the sides filled in to produce something more like a Mercedes 307D

Cheers

Jim

Recently back on Rmweb and not been and had a look at the thread,

Wow Jim you've managed to get through a lot of vehicles while I have sat and procrastinated about what I am going to model in 2012.

Only thing vehicle based I have been doing is searching endlessly for a beacon models cortina kit.

Of course they are near impossible to find.

cheers,

Lukasz

Archived