Jim s-w's road vehicles thread

Guest jim s-w

Guest jim s-w

Hi Lukasz

Ive never seen one for sale. However I have seen them and they were not very good at all. The oxford Cortina's seem to be slowly getting more recent so perhaps your prayers will be answered from that source?

Cheers

Jim

Considering that your White Arrow van (so ubiquitous in these parts in my youth!) and the rest of your MkII fleet started off as MkIs, I'm doubly impressed - and with your handful of examples above, you've really encapsulated the variety of styles which made up the MkII range at the time, apart from possibly a really ratty builder's dropsider!

Yes a great set of models and got to agree on the builders dropside !

Guest jim s-w

Hi All

A few more lorries for you

commando%20builders%20lorry.jpg

Another Dodge commando from a modified matchbox cab and a Base toys Leyland FG

leyland%20freighter.jpg

A Base toys Roadtrain converted to a Freighter - below is how the cab was chopped up

leyland%20roadtrain%20hacked.jpg

This was re-assembled then the back cut off to loose the small window. a spot of filler and some sanding and its done.

Cheers

Jim

Guest jim s-w

And now a few cars

maestro.jpg

Austin Maestro from the 3D print from Paul Burkitt-Gray For more on the evolution of this model see http://www.rmweb.co....inting-project/

This next project was a bit of a suck it and see one - the Ford Sierra from the Hornby (um) thing. Suck it and see because it it didnt work out its no big deal. Below is what I came up with (with an original for comparison)

sierras%20front.jpg

sierras%20rear.jpg

sierras%20profile.jpg

Best keep these towards the back of the layout I think but a fun little project none the less.

Cheers

Jim

Think the Sierra actually looks more like an old (Proton was it) car that had an advertising spiel about not being a jelly mould...

Funny - I was thinking it looked almost exactly like a Talbot Alpine, or possibly a Saab 900!

Actually, Jim, do you remember the Alpine? Seriously, it wouldn't take much more effort to make the Hornby Sierras look like one of those...

Funny - I was thinking it looked almost exactly like a Talbot Alpine, or possibly a Saab 900!

Actually, Jim, do you remember the Alpine? Seriously, it wouldn't take much more effort to make the Hornby Sierras look like one of those...

Good call Steve - looking at it, it wouldn't take too much to convert, which leads me to think that the main problem with the Hornby Sierra is that it just isn't curvy enough.

Hi All

A few more lorries for you

commando%20builders%20lorry.jpg

Another Dodge commando from a modified matchbox cab and a Base toys Leyland FG

leyland%20freighter.jpg

A Base toys Roadtrain converted to a Freighter - below is how the cab was chopped up

leyland%20roadtrain%20hacked.jpg

This was re-assembled then the back cut off to loose the small window. a spot of filler and some sanding and its done.

Cheers

Jim

Good conversion on the freighter Jim, and looks a lot better than the Langley offering, did you narrow the width of the chopped parts at all or is it literally the width reduction of the 2 razor saw cuts?

Guest jim s-w

Hi All

a spot of progess on seeing how much the Sierra can look like the Talbot. Dimensionally its spot on.

talbot%20alpine%20perhaps.jpg

Cheers

Jim

From the side, one of the obvious differences is the shape of the rear hatch which is slightly convex against the Sierra's concave 'aerodeck' back, but the flat, lower window line does look about right. I think the bonnet will need a little squaring out. Early Alpines had the bottom of the grille leaning back. When the Solara saloon version appeared that had the 'chin out' slope the other way. The Alpine was updated about a year later - that's when the ribbing on the rear lights disappeared; again the Solara had smooth rear lights from new. http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/2011/07/25/the-cars-chrysler-alpine/ Good luck with this one!

This next project was a bit of a suck it and see one - the Ford Sierra from the Hornby (um) thing. Suck it and see because it it didnt work out its no big deal. Below is what I came up with (with an original for comparison)

Best keep these towards the back of the layout I think but a fun little project none the less.

It certainly looks a whole lot more like a Sierra than the original Hornby product- as Pugsley suggests, I reckon the biggest problem you're having to contend with is that the original Hornby toy totally failed to capture the distinctive curves of the Sierra shape- That's quite some transformation you've achieved there!

Hi All

a spot of progess on seeing how much the Sierra can look like the Talbot. Dimensionally its spot on.

It'll be interesting to see how this one works out- I can definitely see the Alpine shape emerging.

A good call by Steve for spotting the potential resemblance, it's one that wouldn't have ever occurred to me, and I learned to drive in my dad's Alpine and Solara- Brings back a lot of 80's teenage memories!

Guest jim s-w

Hi All

Another mini adventure again using Corgi Mini's

more%20minis.jpg

On the left, the corgi mini with wheels and radiator grill from a springside kit I picked up cheaply and on the right a van I am converting to a clubman estate. I just need to find another springside clubman kit going for next to nothing. This one also has wheels from Springside.

Cheers

Jim

Blimey, Jim - how many projects do you have on the go?! No sooner have you broken the back of "Project Alpine" (by the way, the ones I remember were usually 'orrible beige with a brown vinyl roof) than you're bashing away at some Minis.

Incidentally, I'm sure that the Clubman estate (surely the most pleasing to look at of all the square-nosed Minis) had proper inside hinges, at the front doors at least. I can't tell whether you've begun to file them away or not, from the picture above. Also, have you considered turning a van into a pickup? Rare, but not that rare in the early 80s.

So there most be two Hornby sieras, because I'm sure that there was an xr4i 3-door cersion?

Jon

The Hornby "Sierras" were only available as the four door hatchback, but I would presume that it would not be too much of a job to fill-cut-scribe a two door hatchback from the Hornby offering, but bear in mind that there was a simple two door -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ford_Sierra_CLX_1988_zweit%C3%BCrig.jpg - and the XR4i - http://www.classicandperformancecar.com/front_website/octane_interact/carspecs.php/?see=3376

Not forgetting the estate, saloon, and the P100 variants

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:1985_Ford_Sierra_2.0L.JPG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ford_Sierra_4_door_Sapphire_in_F.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ford_Sierra_P100_pickup.jpg

• 1 month later...
Hi Steve

The orange transit is a Mk1 type - one of the toy people did a mk2 but it was way too big.

Cheers

Jim

Hi Jim

Sorry it's taken me over a year to reply to that one, but I found these Corgi MkII Transits in a charity shop the other day, and I couldn't resist splashing out! Is this the "too big" Transit you were talking about? If they are too big, that's a shame, because they're not too terrible, even if they are a little crude.

post-6742-0-70366600-1335295634_thumb.jpgpost-6742-0-74630300-1335295677_thumb.jpg

Incidentally, the other van in the pictures was bought at the same time. Although it just says "van" on the bottom, it's pretty obviously meant to be a Renault Master, and therefore ideal for your period, but if anything, I'd say it's a touch larger even than the Transits:

post-6742-0-67677200-1335295835_thumb.jpgpost-6742-0-70463000-1335295880_thumb.jpg

Anyhow, I shan't hijack your thread any longer - just thought I'd share something that might interest the followers of this topic.

Guest jim s-w

They are the ones Steve. The renault looks interesting as they appear to be quite big in real life. Might be something there...

Cheers

Jim

Archived