Jim s-w's road vehicles thread

Guest jim s-w

Guest jim s-w

Thanks Merf

The RM tractors now have drivers, windows and a spot of weathering. I have re-positioned the windbreaker on the Cargo. I didn't realise I had run out of Roadtrain mirrors though!

rm-tractors-2.jpg

Also OMWB as a couple of quickies

fords.jpg

On the left, Ford Consul and on the right, Cortina both from Oxford Diecast. Usual treatment is to spay them with matt varnish, turn the tyres down a bit, subtle weathering and fit occupants. (the Cortina is destined to be parked) I ground off the spotlights on the consul and both will be re-registed.

Cheers

Jim

Guest jim s-w

Hi Morris

I glued the tyres to the wheels and then mounted them in a mini drill and ran them on sandpaper. Nothing cleverer than that really

Hth

Jim

Ps thanks for the note SRman

Guest jim s-w

Hi All

first strides into my Mk2 transit van project.

mk%202%20transit%20chop.jpg

First up the destructive bit. The main pic shows the Mk 1 nose cut off. This is a straight cut just in front of the windscreen and then the body has been cut back under the windscreen to 1mm in front of the doors. The first small pic shows the trimming required to the interior for the new nose to fit and the second likewise for the glazing (originals on the right in both pictures) The glazing is simply held in place in the chopped van body and trimmed with a razor saw.

mk2%20transit%20in%20progress%202.jpg

Test fit of the new nose. The rear of the nose has been trimmed slightly to fit. You can see how the body is wider than the new nose so some filling and shaping is required.

Cheers

Jim

Guest jim s-w

Hi All

Pondering this over night I decided it would be easier to fill the bonnet than match the sides. Next morning someone on another forum had suggested the same so as 2 of us thought it a good idea...

mk%202%20transit%20in%20progress%203.jpg

...theres a ridge down the bonnet that lines up with the angles at the front - seemed the obvious place to make a couple of cuts with the razor saw and to spread the nose a smidge.

mk%202%20transit%20in%20progress%204.jpg

After a spot of filler.

Cheers

Jim

Yep. That worked very well (I was the other person!). It just seemed that it would be a lot easier to match the flat area(s) of the bonnet rather than the more complex shapes of the sides. Once you have painted that noone will ever know the bits came from two different sources.

:)

Guest jim s-w
Nice - I hope you are going to change (or alter the appearance of) the wheels, JIm!

best, pete.

Yes indeed. The transit wheel hubs were quite simple, I feel an etch coming on!

Cheers

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jim,

I figured that, Just thought there may be a simpler / safer way

Drilling out the rivets is quite easy. It depends on the hardness of the alloy, generally the cheaper the model the softer the alloy. I have drilled out the rivets on a Cararama model by holding a drill bit in my fingers but EFE for example are as hard as iron.

Guest jim s-w

Hi All

Slapped some paint on the transit. Turned out quite well i thought. In the end I just glued the wheels solid and filled the hubcaps.

mk2%20transit%20-%20paint.jpg

Cheers

Jim

Guest jim s-w

Thanks guys

Paul, the base colour is from a halfords can then brush painted details, needs a coat of matt varnish yet and weathering

Cheers

Jim

Hi All

Slapped some paint on the transit. Turned out quite well i thought. In the end I just glued the wheels solid and filled the hubcaps.

mk2%20transit%20-%20paint.jpg

Cheers

Jim

Nice work as usiual Jim,

Ref: the royal mail sherpas.

How do you do the royal mail decals ? I have some red cararama transits I would like to do a similar thing to.

Are they transfers or custom made ? & where could I get some from ?

Archived