HS4000 - Stored in Russia

I'm not really up on climate etc, (other than it seems very wet in Britain over the last 5 years). That said, Mrs Penguin and I have been together for over 5 years now and we often visit Poland, (Mrs P hails from those parts). During my first visit in 2007, we passed the locomotive works in Szczecin and I saw a large amount of dumped locomotives, generally ET22's and SM42's.

In 2012, the same loco's are still there and in exactly the same, (rather good), condition.

Ok, it's only 5 years compared to the nearly 30 years for Kestrel, but perhaps a colder climate is better for metals survival.....

Just a thought.

Cheers.

Sean.

I'm not really up on climate etc, (other than it seems very wet in Britain over the last 5 years). That said, Mrs Penguin and I have been together for over 5 years now and we often visit Poland, (Mrs P hails from those parts). During my first visit in 2007, we passed the locomotive works in Szczecin and I saw a large amount of dumped locomotives, generally ET22's and SM42's.

In 2012, the same loco's are still there and in exactly the same, (rather good), condition.

Ok, it's only 5 years compared to the nearly 30 years for Kestrel, but perhaps a colder climate is better for metals survival.....

Just a thought.

Cheers.

Sean.

Hope springs eternal :locomotive: 

XF

One questions why should a replica diesel loco be built at vast expense just to potter about preserved railways at 25mph?

No reason - I know a man who'll do you a really nice deal on Main Line Acceptance   :sungum:

With the 4mm market saturated, Dapol & Bachmann hard at war in 2mm and Heljan and Dapol now at it in 7mm - if we wait 10 years for Bachmann to go through gauge 1 we should see Heljan launch a 1:1 scale in about 15 years. :stinker:

If that's the prognosis then I hope that I will be not asked to check the CAD work!

With the 4mm market saturated, Dapol & Bachmann hard at war in 2mm and Heljan and Dapol now at it in 7mm - if we wait 10 years for Bachmann to go through gauge 1 we should see Heljan launch a 1:1 scale in about 15 years. :stinker:

Even if they did, I reckon we'd still have a bunch of people telling them that it "doesn't look quite right"  :stinker:

I know I run the risk of bringing up something that has been discussed to death (or scrap maybe the more appropriate term). However, I was just wondering if anyone knew how long the HS4000 had been outside in the 1985 photograph. By the looks of it I would have a very rough guess of about three or four years by the overgrowth (possibly more).

Now the reason I ask is that there have been suggestions that the condition of the body would have deteriorated to the extent where it was essentially just rust. Having looked at the photograph, if it has been outside for a number of years I am surprised at how good the condition of the train actually was, there appears to be no major visible rust. Would I be right in assuming that this is a good thing or could there be rust concealed in the depths of the loco?

So essentially what I am suggesting is that if (and it is a big IF) the loco did survive until the early noughties then it could have been in better condition than expected, despite the climate. I am pretty certain the loco does not exist any longer as I would be surprised that there are no images of it on the net (there are plenty of images online regarding Soviet technology such as the Ekranoplanes and Buran etc).

One final quick question, does anyone know of any Russian Rail Forums that would be able to assist us with any further information or pictures?

If your asking about the condition of the body of the loco in the link to the photo in Mess. No. 167? It could be that the body was made of aluminium and not steel. That would explain why it had not rusted.

OzzyO.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, it was with the double deck bus.

No it's not on the moon it's with the 200 9F's of the strategic reserve that are in the cave with King Arthur and his Knights waiting for the call.!!

Jamie

As noted already - it can be IF. Trouble is the mountain of paperwork required is likely to weigh more than the loco and it's probably far simpler to do the paperwork for a steam engine (fewer materials involved for start). 

and all the paperwork can be used to help to get it going as well.

No it's not on the moon it's with the 200 9F's of the strategic reserve that are in the cave with King Arthur and his Knights waiting for the call.!!

Jamie

Is the last episode of Merlin still on i-Player? If so, some enterprising soul may be able to deduce Kestrel's final resting place. It'd be lovely for this thread to achieve something concrete (or steel, rather).

One questions why should a replica diesel loco be built at vast expense just to potter about preserved railways at 25mph?

I find this topic very interesting, lost British exports that may or may not still exist (Terriers and L&B locomotives spring to mind), but the topic of Kestrel itself is far from my expertise.

However, would a good half way house perhaps be to base this hypothetical re-creation at the GCR where it could run up to 45mph (maybe even 60mph)?

• RMweb Premium

Is the last episode of Merlin still on i-Player? If so, some enterprising soul may be able to deduce Kestrel's final resting place. It'd be lovely for this thread to achieve something concrete (or steel, rather).

When I did Hadrians crawl from Newcastle Brown to Carlisle State Bitter, as a post A level project I was walking along the nine nicks, approaching Housesteads and the guide book told me that Arthur and his knight were reputed to be somewhere below me, however I didn't see any sign of a line that could have been used to move the 9F's and possibly Kestrel in.

Jamie

However, would a good half way house perhaps be to base this hypothetical re-creation at the GCR where it could run up to 45mph (maybe even 60mph)?

A point which comes out of this is that when, as has been threatened, all the mechanical boxes have gone there will be no where which allows people to see how a busy main line really was - intensive operation, high line speeds, multiple signal boxes which short sections with a significant number of railwaymen working together in harmony. It's a real shame.

• 1 year later...

Archived