Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

With regards to current modelling I'm struggling with research to find suitable info for the road marking in the 80s/90s for the complex junction of Borough High Street, London Bridge, Duke Street Hill and Railway Approach - and which is made additionally tricky by the various levels and slopes. I've managed to get the pavements and traffic islands in place (as accurate/best as I could) as well as the drop kerbs for the pedestrian crossings but it's far from complete.

I've made a start on white lining but the tricky bit is what about the no stopping 'red route' lines, yellow box junctions and colourful surface bus lanes (which are there now or were recently before resurfacing). They were around in the 80s/90s but then in their infancy and hadn't spread everywhere. One pic I've found of London Bridge in 1987 shows no red route lines or bus lanes on the bridge road so that's a help. Here's my white line practicing. I used a white Uni Posca paint pen which can be seen in the pic bottom left. If I make as mistake or want to change it I can simply paint over with grey and start afresh:

attachicon.gifDSCN0197.JPG

Having looked at the real road it is surprising just how rough and ready (and freehand) some of the road markings are. Look at the arrow head on the turn right arrow and the lettering on the PC screen in the pic. And just how much they change in a short space of time. Beyond the No Entry words is just white lane lines but from another angle (presumably taken at a slightly different time) there is a yellow box junction added and no lane lines.

G

Further to the above I've found some useful reference but nothing specific for the period. But I seem to be spending far too much time on the internet ostensively under taking research but getting side-tracked and watching semi relevant videos like one filmed from the top deck of a bus down the whole of the Old Kent Road when I used to work there and another Pathe News one about Tooley Street, but I never seem to find anything showing exactly what I'm after. And that's the problem with being on-line - it's something of a time sponge and eats up your modelling time.

Anyway I guess that strategically placed road vehicles can disguise and hide much of the road markings :

post-33-0-80865500-1542275043_thumb.jpg

and once I get them completed and dirtied down with some weathering they'll be less obvious and noticeable (click on the photo to view at full screen size).

G.

Edited by grahame
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

What period will you be setting it as Grahame? I’ve worked and known LB (the other one to this thread) for the last 40+ years, so recognise all your structures. If you model medical & dental students, they should be wearing blue striped gold scarves. Don’t forget to model Tavolo Caldo (v basic Italian restaurant) under the arches, next to Allan Brett Canon (depending on period).

Tim

• Like 1

Tony,

In regards to consistant levels between articulated coaches, I agree as would others it is difficult to get right.

I have a Silver Jubilee set that sits on the Kirk bogies and I think it looks pretty good.  But as you say photos do high light the inconsistencies and issues with such rolling stock.

I would have thought the Golden Age Coronation set would have been perfect for the amount you have to fork out for one.  I have seen a set here Downunder and they look very nice.

The photo of my Silver Jubilee set does show that two coaches need a little tweeking.  Not the best photo as the SLR's battery is flat.

I am at the beginning of masking and undercoating the Mailcoach Coronation set.

Mark

post-7319-0-19664400-1542281908_thumb.jpg

post-7319-0-62532500-1542282160_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

What period will you be setting it as Grahame? I’ve worked and known LB (the other one to this thread) for the last 40+ years, so recognise all your structures. If you model medical & dental students, they should be wearing blue striped gold scarves. Don’t forget to model Tavolo Caldo (v basic Italian restaurant) under the arches, next to Allan Brett Canon (depending on period).

Tim

I'm hoping to cover a fairly broad period of late 70s to the early/mid 90s (roughly a little less than 20 years) to include the NSE era (which was 1982 - April 1994). Obviously the snag is that things change quite regularly over time and particularly so in a city area. Consequently it's a 'representation' rather than a drop-dead absolute replica set at a specific time in the past. I'm aiming for a representation that provides atmosphere and a recognisable look as I've also had to include compression and compromise because I don't have enough time, space and finance. I guess it's what modelling is all about - what you include and what you leave out. Getting the right balance is probably the hardest bit.

Do you mean this Italian:

post-33-0-18125800-1542285216.jpg

or the restaurant on the other side of the viaduct in Guildable Manor Street:

post-33-0-71309900-1542285429.jpg

post-33-0-34645400-1542285520_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My mistake Grahame. Tavola Caldo, in Charlotte St, is where John Burkett-Smith and I planned CF in 1983. La Spezia is indeed the restaurant I was thinking of: it opened onto both sides of the tracks. Whatever you do will be a superb rendition of the area.

Tim

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Oh no it's not!

Oh yes it still is.   I nearly got some shorts out for this afternoon.

However as I plan to go crawling under the layout shortly I will not give in to that particular temptation.   I might scare the locals.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

My mistake Grahame. Tavola Caldo, in Charlotte St, is where John Burkett-Smith and I planned CF in 1983. La Spezia is indeed the restaurant I was thinking of: it opened onto both sides of the tracks. Whatever you do will be a superb rendition of the area.

Tim

Mention of La Spezia brings back happy memories.  It was a classic Italian family restaurant, and one of our facourites.  My wife and I were very sad when it closed.  You don't get sweet trollies like that these days, and not often in the 70s either.

Tone

Oh yes it still is.   I nearly got some shorts out for this afternoon.

However as I plan to go crawling under the layout shortly I will not give in to that particular temptation.   I might scare the locals.

Jamie

It is now!

• Like 1

I’d love one, is this the one I had helped with Tony? Or a different one?

It's another one, Jesse,

Made with lessons learned from the first two. I think I've got to know how the wee camcorder really works now, and, I hope, have been able to exploit its capabilities to greater effect.

I've spent the day with Chris Walsh (who made the original Right Track DVDs), he finishing editing it, and me adding a voice-over.

The plan, if there is a plan, is to wait until the 1958 DVD (which you helped make - thanks again) is sent out with the March issue of BRM next year. Then, after that's gone, we'll put this later one (which is more comprehensive, running for almost an hour) out on You Tube. Chris and I looked at offering it for sale, but it's just too much hassle, I'm afraid. The idea is, once it's out on You Tube, if folk like it (and 54 have expressed a 'like' for it so far) then, if they so wish, they can donate to CRUK. I think that's probably the best way. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3

Tony,

In regards to consistant levels between articulated coaches, I agree as would others it is difficult to get right.

I have a Silver Jubilee set that sits on the Kirk bogies and I think it looks pretty good.  But as you say photos do high light the inconsistencies and issues with such rolling stock.

I would have thought the Golden Age Coronation set would have been perfect for the amount you have to fork out for one.  I have seen a set here Downunder and they look very nice.

The photo of my Silver Jubilee set does show that two coaches need a little tweeking.  Not the best photo as the SLR's battery is flat.

I am at the beginning of masking and undercoating the Mailcoach Coronation set.

Mark

attachicon.gifPB150055.JPG

attachicon.gifPA310021.JPG

Thanks for posting the picture, Mark.

I see from it that it's the later, eight-car set. 

For that period, the catering cars had 10' heavy-duty bogies under the articulation units. The rest of the set should be on 8' 6" heavy-duty bogies. Does Ian Kirk make either of these types? Every Kirk bogie I've seen is a standard type. 

Nice work, though. 

Regards,

Tony. 

I don’t know of anyone but Ian Kirk who did the 10’ bogies. They can be used as cosmetic sides with MJT bogies.

MJT (Dart Castings) do 10' heavy-duty Gresley bogies in white metal (with or without a compensation unit). I just drill out the bearing holes to take top-hats, and solder everything up solid. 

These are they, underneath the articulated inner ends of this 1938 ex-FS dining triplet, made to run on LB for service in the Northumbrian. It's formed of Rupert Brown components, Comet bits and pieces, plus MJT bogies

post-18225-0-72997800-1542317082_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-71811600-1542317183_thumb.jpg

John Houlden made up most of it, and I completed it by making the bogies/underframes, adding the door furniture and ventilators, and fitting the roofs. I made up the interiors (not yet fitted in these pictures) and, after Geoff Haynes had painted it, I glazed it. 

Come to think of it, 10' plastic bogies were supplied with the Mailcoach West Riding/Coronation artic kits I've made. As is well known, I much prefer white metal bogies, whether stock is articulated or not. 

Have a good time at Wakefield with Grantham. Please give the 'lost' B16/1 a run. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 6

If you get enough people to watch the video on YouTube, you could make money off it through adverts running with it. More cash for cruk.

You can monetise but make sure that you have the rights to use any music and can prove it. Sadly the day's of being able to make money from YouTube easily are gone as unscrupulous companies submit unsubstantiated claims and it takes YouTube ages to sort them out. All that time your loosing any money made by views on the video.

My own YouTube channel has been steadily growing but I'll never bother monetising it as I don't think it's worth the hassle. I put videos on YouTube because I enjoy filming my day's out and I'd never do anything with the footage otherwise! 

You can monetise but make sure that you have the rights to use any music and can prove it. Sadly the day's of being able to make money from YouTube easily are gone as unscrupulous companies submit unsubstantiated claims and it takes YouTube ages to sort them out. All that time your loosing any money made by views on the video.

My own YouTube channel has been steadily growing but I'll never bother monetising it as I don't think it's worth the hassle. I put videos on YouTube because I enjoy filming my day's out and I'd never do anything with the footage otherwise! 

Thanks Stephen,

If nothing else, I've added a word to my vocabulary today. 'Monetise'; I've never heard of that before, and it's in my 45 year old (concise) OED, so thank you. 

There is no music on the DVD Chris Walsh and I have put together, and there are no pictorial copyright issues because I've shot all the moving footage and taken all the still photographs embedded in it. 

How does one, then, monetise You Tube images? You can probably guess I know sweet FA about this sort of stuff. I don't even have a You Tube channel. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks Stephen,

If nothing else, I've added a word to my vocabulary today. 'Monetise'; I've never heard of that before, and it's in my 45 year old (concise) OED, so thank you.

There is no music on the DVD Chris Walsh and I have put together, and there are no pictorial copyright issues because I've shot all the moving footage and taken all the still photographs embedded in it.

How does one, then, monetise You Tube images? You can probably guess I know sweet FA about this sort of stuff. I don't even have a You Tube channel.

Regards,

Tony.

I've not actually gone as far to Monitise my channel unfortunately so I don't have first hand knowledge.

First step would be to register an account on YouTube. I forget if you have to have uploaded videos before it will let you monetize. I certainly remember there being restrictions until you jumped though some hoops. However YouTube has changed so much since I had to do that I'm not sure if it's still the case.