Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Re Artics a couple of photos of my Silver Jubilee Set , lots more photos of the builds on my workbench thread, from page 1.

attachicon.gifa jub 3.jpg

attachicon.gifa jub 2.jpg

attachicon.gifa jub 4.jpg

My compliments, Mick,

Some of the neatest building/finishing of this distinctive train I've seen in model form. 

Just one question, please? I assume the bodies come off the frames at the top of the solebar. If so, you've got the body on the RK the wrong way round. Please, look at the solebar footboards.

Thanks for posting. I'm sure it gives it a wider audience. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 2

I've not long returned from a most-enjoyable day, demonstrating/loco-doctoring in the village hall at Ruskington, near Sleaford. It was a charity modelling exhibition, organised by the Sleaford Club, with all proceeds going to the Lincs Air Ambulance. From the attendance, I'd say it was a great success. 

I did more demonstrating than loco-doctoring; in fact, nobody brought me anything to fix. Part of what I demonstrated was soldering brass/whitemetal together, using phosphoric acid flux. I know I have a loud voice, so another demonstrator (behind me) must have heard and joined in. 'Why spend money on expensive flux?' he asked. 'I use Coca Cola; it's much, much cheaper, and just as effective'. The person with whom I was talking looked puzzled as to this apparent disparity in advice. 

'I'm glad you've succeeded in soldering using 'pop'' said I. 'I don't drink it, nor ever have, and I certainly couldn't advise its use in soldering metal kits'. 

He showed me one of his models which he'd 'coked' together (a lorry of some kind) which was falling to bits. 'Ah, that's because somebody dropped it!' 

I was probably rude (I'm good at that!), by my turning away and carrying on giving advice to the punter. I pointed out to him (the punter) that the flux I used was 12% phosphoric acid, and, such was its strength, that to drink it neat would certainly cause internal harm. 'How could Coke be as effective as a flux, given that it is edible?' I asked. 

Is it? As a flux I mean, not if it's edible! 

Has anyone on here soldered metal components together using a soft drink as a flux?  

What about the (high) sugar content? 

Why do folk need to butt in like this? 

The Coke-solderer merely confirmed my opinion of him a little later on when he insisted that a bag of old Tri-ang OO 'grey' track was 'Series 3'. Not wishing to argue further, I pointed out to the proprietor selling a bag of this track that the old, grey (filled-in) Tri-ang  stuff was in fact 'Standard' track, and that the Series 3 was black, with gaps between the sleepers. 'No, that's Number 4'. 'No it's not, Super 4 came later, then System 6'. What happened to Nos 2 and 5? 

I speak as someone who had Tri-ang Railways as a boy. If my memory on this is ropy, I must seek out the chap and apologise. 

How do you 'nice' folk out there deal with blokes (blokettes?) who are talking testicular ovoids!?

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 3

My compliments, Mick,

Some of the neatest building/finishing of this distinctive train I've seen in model form. 

Just one question, please? I assume the bodies come off the frames at the top of the solebar. If so, you've got the body on the RK the wrong way round. Please, look at the solebar footboards.

Thanks for posting. I'm sure it gives it a wider audience. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Yes that was pointed out at the time of original posts (2009 !!)  and has been corrected , it just needed turning around.

post-7186-0-73043300-1542566843.jpg

Thanks

Edited by micklner
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Baz,

Didn't some of the general-purpose LMS artics have no trussing? 

I seem to recall seeing a pair in a long-forgotten book, where the bodies has sagged a bit. 

Tony

These artics had a special type of trussing on the corridor stock.. will need to check the articulated suburban rakes but my books on the subject are packed away at the moment.

baz

• RMweb Premium

Tony, your recall of Tri-ang track is correct. Standard, Series 3, Super 4, System 6.  What did happen to the other numbers?  Do we care?  No, except maybe that Super 4 had a reasonable attempt at a realistic sleeper size and spacing, but with horrendously large rail section.

Edit for an improvement in standard of written English.   Hopefully.

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I have just picked up an older DJH A2 Class kit together with a Mashima motor, a Model Loco gearbox and wheels for a very very good price.  However, the instructions are missing.  Can anyone provide me with a set (pdf).  Thanks in advance

Send an email to DJH and promise to send them a photo of the finished item :) they sent me some instructions recently.

• Like 2

Very nice looking set. Could you please tell / show us how the two coach bodies "sit" on the central bogie. 

Brit15

Thank you very much, it was a mix between my own idea and mimicking what was on an already built Kirk 5 set I picked up from Warley 2016.

I make the bogie up, sit the two coaches and think to myself yeah that looks good, then drill two holes.

post-25906-0-64314400-1542574457_thumb.jpeg

I then make a kind of pole with the top half cut off so there is support on the inside of the carriage. Put a crap load of glue on and then don’t touch it - learnt that the hard way.

post-25906-0-49005100-1542574192_thumb.jpeg

post-25906-0-24303700-1542574573_thumb.jpeg

And then......

She’s all done!

post-25906-0-19602700-1542574617_thumb.jpeg

• Like 17

Jesse, I built a couple of years ago a quad art an you had to watch the spacings between the "bodies" on the common bogie. As min was to traverse a 450radius curve I was surprised how much movement there was on the ends of the bodies. It may need to be increased to accommodate. Your layout has generous curves so should be OK. 

• Like 2

Tony, your recall of Tri-ang track is correct. Standard, Series 3, Super 4, System 6.  What did happen to the other numbers?  Do we care?  No, except maybe that Super 4 had a reasonable attempt at a realistic sleeper size and spacing, but with horrendously large rail section.

At the time I thought Series 3 was a big improvement over Standard Track :)  My railway was in the cellar under our house. It didn't take long for the rails to take on a very realistic layer of rust.

• Like 2

Jesse, I built a couple of years ago a quad art an you had to watch the spacings between the "bodies" on the common bogie. As min was to traverse a 450radius curve I was surprised how much movement there was on the ends of the bodies. It may need to be increased to accommodate. Your layout has generous curves so should be OK. 

Well actually I tend to cut/drill/glue/solder first then measure.

The result being that that artic set couldnt run on the inside line, however, the new extension, with 4ft and 4 1/2 ft curves, means it can run anywhere. Lucky!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've already posted these on my own thread, but as Tony likes a bit of modelling I thought he'd like to see an "Express Passenger locomotive' . . . . from the Sandy & Potton railway (1852)

This is 'Dwarf'  a George England 'Little England' 2-2-2. It's part scratch build, part 3D printing but the majority is my own etches.

post-4738-0-61509900-1542587906_thumb.jpg

Still some finishing to do as well as the paintwork.

post-4738-0-84858700-1542587918_thumb.jpg

It'll be finished in Caledonian Blue which is near to its original colour.

I've already built 'Shannon' so now have all the locomotives of the S&P,  2 coaches and I'll have all the passenger stock too!

• Like 16

I think I posted a photo of the twin I made from two Hornby non-gangwayed coaches earlier this year.

I made a 1st/3rd twin as used on the outer Marylebone services. I had intended initially to use the MJT articulation coupling set that uses press studs but as the pieces to be fitted to the coaches were brass I decided to make my own using plastic with an 8BA screw to join them. I disassembled the coaches and in the process removed the Hornby couplings and their spring fittings. I cut two pieces of plastic, 40thou from memory and filed slots in the top of the ends of the chassis such that one would sit over the top of the other and I could drill a hole in each and fit an 8BA screw into the top piece. I will eventually fit a heavy duty bogie (when I can get some MJT bogies, unless I'm prepared to use an old PC bogie from 4 old PC Gresley coaches I have stashed away made in the 1970s!) but for the time being I have used one of the Hornby bogies. I simply cut off the two prongs on the top of the Hornby bogie - cleaned this up a bit and drilled a hole to take the 8BA screw. The ride height was ok and did't need any adjustment. I have made them so they will just negotiate 3ft radius.

I also rebuilt the underframes to centralise them between the bogies. I used MJT 60ft turnbuckle truss rods and MJT vacuum reservoirs plus all the original Hornby parts, even though the Hornby vacuum cylinders are rather undersize. The roofs have now been painted grey not white as in the photo below.

I hope the photos show what I've tried to describe?

Andrew

post-18984-0-58517400-1542607312_thumb.jpg

post-18984-0-90036800-1542607336_thumb.jpg

post-18984-0-28065500-1542607365_thumb.jpg

post-18984-0-07766600-1542607532_thumb.jpg

Edited by Woodcock29
  • Like 18

I've already posted these on my own thread, but as Tony likes a bit of modelling I thought he'd like to see an "Express Passenger locomotive' . . . . from the Sandy & Potton railway (1852)

This is 'Dwarf'  a George England 'Little England' 2-2-2. It's part scratch build, part 3D printing but the majority is my own etches.

attachicon.gif375.JPG

Still some finishing to do as well as the paintwork.

attachicon.gif376.JPG

It'll be finished in Caledonian Blue which is near to its original colour.

I've already built 'Shannon' so now have all the locomotives of the S&P,  2 coaches and I'll have all the passenger stock too!

That's amazing Dave,

Exactly what this thread is all about. 

Thanks for posting.

I wonder what it will pull? The reason I ask is that, on Saturday a young modeller visited LB (he's 19, and called Jack). Some four years ago, I helped him start to build a C12 from a SE Finecast kit (I think it featured on here). He rather dropped out of modelling for a time, but he brought the completed C12 along. And, what a fine job he's made of it. 

Now, to the point of my question. Just out of interest, we put the wee thing on 15 kit-built bogies. The loco taken off was a kit-built A1, which had handled the rake with its usual ease. Guess what? The minute 4-4-2T just walked away with its Brobdingnagian  train (with just a trace of slip on starting), and fairly raced through LB. Out of further interest, a Hornby A4 was tried on the same train. I now have a pair of very, very polished rails! 

Jack took some mobile phone footage, so, if you're reading this my young friend, please post it here. 

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I think I posted a photo of the twin I made from two Hornby non-gangwayed coaches earlier this year.

I made a 1st/3rd twin as used on the outer Marylebone services. I had intended initially to use the MJT articulation coupling set that uses press studs but as the pieces to be fitted to the coaches were brass I decided to make my own using plastic with an 8BA screw to join them. I disassembled the coaches and in the process removed the Hornby couplings and their spring fittings. I cut two pieces of plastic, 40thou from memory and filed slots in the top of the ends of the chassis such that one would sit over the top of the other and I could drill a hole in each and fit an 8BA screw into the top piece. I will eventually fit a heavy duty bogie (when I can get some MJT bogies, unless I'm prepared to use an old PC bogie from 4 old PC Gresley coaches I have stashed away made in the 1970s!) but for the time being I have used one of the Hornby bogies. I simply cut off the two prongs on the top of the Hornby bogie - cleaned this up a bit and drilled a hole to take the 8BA screw. The ride height was ok and did't need any adjustment. I have made them so they will just negotiate 3ft radius.

I also rebuilt the underframes to centralise them between the bogies. I used MJT 60ft turnbuckle truss rods and MJT vacuum reservoirs plus all the original Hornby parts, even though the Hornby vacuum cylinders are rather undersize. The roofs have now been painted grey not white as in the photo below.

I hope the photos show what I've tried to describe?

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

That's a great job you've done there!

I wonder whether I could ask a couple of questions, as I've got a pair of Hornby Thirds set aside with a similar conversion in mind?  Did you use the MJT queen posts as well as the truss rods; if so were they easy to fit to the Hornby moulding, or was a lot of modification needed?  How easy was it to relocate the Hornby battery boxes and brake parts from their original locations - did they come off easily?

Cheers,

Steve

• RMweb Premium

On the subject of articulated coaches, here is a d.194/195 pair which I built from Bill Bedford sides on Gresley Railroad chassis and body. I've articulated them using a brass bar which locates into the original bogie pivots and is attached to the bogie via an 8BA bolt. This seems to 'throw them out' round a curve thereby allowing them to negotiate tighter curves while remaining close coupled on a straight. Having said this, on more recent builds, I have used the excellent MJT system.

Regards

Andy

post-19760-0-15268200-1542619163_thumb.jpg

• Like 7