Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

Another North British loco which survived until the early 60s.

This Falcon Brass kit, eventually finished last weekend, was started a couple of years ago and worked on from time to time as it came into the challenging category.

Once painted it will take its place beside the Haymarket pacifics as it was transferred there from Thornton in 1959 to replace one of the previous J88s which was withdrawn earlier taking up duties as the “Wee Gorgie Pilot” in the company of the “Big” one which was an N15.   - More useless information!

attachicon.gifJ88 68335 (1).JPG

attachicon.gifJ88 68335 (2).JPG

Blimey, you managed to complete a FB Kit. Respect! Looks a super little locomotive.

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not many electrics granted, especially if the wires were still being erected. But fast forward just twenty years to 1978 (which is still 40 years ago) and the situation would be reversed - no steamers and many more electrics and diesels. Going back to the 50s I would loved to have seen one of the Bulleid Raworth co-co 'Hornby' booster electric locos far more so than any steam loco. Here's a pic of my unfinished model :

attachicon.gifDSC_1556.JPG

That's a fascinating looking machine, Grahame. I confess I didn't know anything the prototype(s) until now.

After dealing personally with articulation in a Kirk twin, a couple of Phoenix / SRG twins, a Kirk dining triplet and an old PC triplet, as well as observing the mixed results of others' efforts, I'm strongly tempted to say that it is not the choice of bogies that makes the difference in the quest for correct and even ride height throughout with all vehicles central to the gauge and looking upright. It is the degree of care and the critical analysis of one's own results that leads to success. Exhaustive attention to packing and filing is required, and the coach bodies in a multiple articulated set must be built straight and square otherwise correction in one place will simply cause trouble elsewhere.

I'd agree, Graeme, though I still think the choice of bogie is critical to good running. 

Many years ago, when I first made Kirk Gresleys (now all gone), I used the plastic bogies. As you know, there's a sort of 'half-sausage' bearing which sits on top of the plastic bolster of the bogie, secured, if I recall, by a self-tapping screw. Those coaches just wobbled along!

Cue replacement cast metal bogies, pin-point bearings and Jackson wheels, the 'sausagey' thing gone, a proper centred, round, flat bearing (brass/white metal) and the centre of gravity where it should be (low down), not to mention no-compensation. I use 8BA cheese head bolts, fixed through the coaches' floorpans, with the bogies secured by 8BA nuts, with large (but thin) brass washers to adjust the ride height. Though this might sound heretical, occasionally I've had to 'move' the hole in the bolster's centre to one side or the other to stop cars crabbing. I do this by drilling the hole over-size, then soldering an 8BA washer, offset to one side or the other. They all ride just fine. 

I totally agree with your comment about care and critical analysis being essential to make sure rakes ride in a uniform fashion. Unfortunately, too many running on LB a couple of months ago did not ride in a uniform fashion. Hence the rejection of some pictures for publication and footage on the cutting room floor.

Speaking of moving footage. I've just finished a further session of using my little camcorder on LB. This is in addition to what will go out in the March issue of BRM next year. Chris Walsh (of Right Track fame) is finishing the editing of it tomorrow (while I watch) and we'll then put together a voice-over. I have to say, I'm thrilled with the results, and the finished programme should run for about an hour (every LB train is featured). The question is, what to do with it? I think it's good enough to sell, for, say, a fiver (assuming repro costs are not prohibitive), with proceeds to CRUK.

May I ask if anyone on here might be interested in a copy, please?

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 6

Sadly I fear the majority of the fiver would go on production costs of the DVD disks. Although that depends on the method employed. The 'cheaper' option being to burn the disks oneself but thats more costly in time. (All depends on the value one places on their time!)

If the costs arw too prohibitive then YouTube would be an option. Asking people to donate if they liked the video.

Edited by LNERandBR

I'd agree, Graeme, though I still think the choice of bogie is critical to good running. 

Many years ago, when I first made Kirk Gresleys (now all gone), I used the plastic bogies. As you know, there's a sort of 'half-sausage' bearing which sits on top of the plastic bolster of the bogie, secured, if I recall, by a self-tapping screw. Those coaches just wobbled along!

Cue replacement cast metal bogies, pin-point bearings and Jackson wheels, the 'sausagey' thing gone, a proper centred, round, flat bearing (brass/white metal) and the centre of gravity where it should be (low down), not to mention no-compensation. I use 8BA cheese head bolts, fixed through the coaches' floorpans, with the bogies secured by 8BA nuts, with large (but thin) brass washers to adjust the ride height. Though this might sound heretical, occasionally I've had to 'move' the hole in the bolster's centre to one side or the other to stop cars crabbing. I do this by drilling the hole over-size, then soldering an 8BA washer, offset to one side or the other. They all ride just fine. 

I totally agree with your comment about care and critical analysis being essential to make sure rakes ride in a uniform fashion. Unfortunately, too many running on LB a couple of months ago did not ride in a uniform fashion. Hence the rejection of some pictures for publication and footage on the cutting room floor.

Speaking of moving footage. I've just finished a further session of using my little camcorder on LB. This is in addition to what will go out in the March issue of BRM next year. Chris Walsh (of Right Track fame) is finishing the editing of it tomorrow (while I watch) and we'll then put together a voice-over. I have to say, I'm thrilled with the results, and the finished programme should run for about an hour (every LB train is featured). The question is, what to do with it? I think it's good enough to sell, for, say, a fiver (assuming repro costs are not prohibitive), with proceeds to CRUK.

Regards,

Tony. 

I would like a copy Tony.

Another North British loco which survived until the early 60s.

This Falcon Brass kit, eventually finished last weekend, was started a couple of years ago and worked on from time to time as it came into the challenging category.

Once painted it will take its place beside the Haymarket pacifics as it was transferred there from Thornton in 1959 to replace one of the previous J88s which was withdrawn earlier taking up duties as the “Wee Gorgie Pilot” in the company of the “Big” one which was an N15.   - More useless information!

attachicon.gifJ88 68335 (1).JPG

attachicon.gifJ88 68335 (2).JPG

Lovely Model of a J88. Whenever I see a picture of a J88 I always think of the following incident. 68341 was I think the first one withdrawn. The caption explains all...

I wish I'd managed to see one before they all went by 1962?

Clem

post-15879-0-92680700-1542226232_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Lovely Model of a J88. Whenever I see a picture of a J88 I always think of the following incident. 68341 was I think the first one withdrawn. The caption explains all...

Wasn't this incident the inspiration for the R.W Awdry story where Percy goes off the end of the breakwater?

Oh and Tony - to avoid multiple "Yes please" messages for your LB CD, can i suggest you repeat the request in a short message that everyone interested "Likes"?  Then you've got a simple count.....

Edited by Northmoor
  • Like 1

Further to the discussion on rake ride-heights and consistency, I find the camera highlights any slight errors in the most cruel of ways at times.

post-18225-0-97346500-1542227322_thumb.jpg

This is my original rendition of the Afternoon Talisman, containing the products of Bachmann, Comet, Southern Pride and Mailcoach. Despite taking great care in trying to make the rake uniform (and the real thing had Gresley, Thompson and Mk. 1 cars in it), there are discrepancies in ride height and consistency.

post-18225-0-45371900-1542227496_thumb.jpg

This is after I put a Thompson RF in the set (from the late Geoff Brewin's collection).

post-18225-0-90736200-1542227561_thumb.jpg

This is that RF, with Mailcoach to the left and Southern Pride to the right. Reasonably consistent? 

Of course, if one studies prototype pictures, one can see the odd discrepancy there!

post-18225-0-46476600-1542227657_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-03593000-1542227687_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-57403800-1542227707_thumb.jpg

Though nowhere near the same inconsistency as some model rakes. 

• Like 11

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks, I'd love a copy Tony.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Bill

Looks like we are in a minority club, because I did as well. Liverpool Street to me as an 11 year old was a goldmine. Waterloo and Victoria likewise.

I also took DMU numbers. The first class I cleared was the 127s but living in Bedford that wasn't too hard.

Mine was 118

• Like 2

As suggested by Northmoor, would anyone interested in obtaining a copy of the Little Bytham DVD please press the 'like' button on this post.

Many thanks. 

Tony, I pressed the like button and would add that I am quite prepared and happy to pay the postage costs to Oz.

The topic of what people looked at. Whilst building a model of GT3 I asked about its colour at the club. One kind soul told me, “it was sitting in marylabone when I was passing through.”

“Great” I said, “ what colour was it?”

“ I do not remember “ he replied “ I was more interested in looking at the V2 in the opposite platform.”

Richard

• Like 1