Barnstaple line upgrade

Kris

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

B B C television news yesterday reported that both Barnstaple and Looe lines are closed this week for maintenance, I assume this is the restart of the delayed planned work.

No, sadly it's not a case of re-couping the lost relaying works (although we are working on a different plan for that), it's to do with repairing the many wash-out sites that occurred along the length of the branch, and especially north of Crediton.

There are also some bridges that need to be checked by divers before traffic can resume (standard risk-based precautionary matters, based on engineering knowledge of the structures concerned and as laid down in existing contingency plans), but the water was still too deep and fast for them to be dived today.

The section to Crediton was reopened by NR today at 1340 hrs, although I don't think that FGW were initially able to re-deploy resources from elsewhere.

There is tamping and repair work booked now on the rest of the line, with a possible reopening date for next Friday 04/01/13, although subject to a 'green light' from the divers (no reason to think otherwise).

• RMweb Gold

Following delays in getting the remaining bridges on the northern section of the line dived (water too fast & dangerous for divers to enter until the weekend), the Barnstaple line finally reopened in it's entireity this morning.

• RMweb Premium

HI

Just read in the local paper that the line will be closed again!.

Darren

Given that flood repairs at Cowley stopped a lot of work, it's not a great surprise.

• RMweb Gold

The blockade in March was planned anyway, to relay different sites from those planned for November. One of the two sites planned for March has now been dropped (for other reasons not associated with the flooding), and I am currently awaiting confirmation of what mileage from the lost work in November can be recouped. The March blockade will only be for 5 days this time.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Despite the effects of the flooding late last year, we still managed to relay 3.8 miles of track during the 2012 - 13 financial year, so I thought I'd do a bit of trumpet blowing... and why not? (as Barry Norman used to say...)

http://www.thisisnorthdevon.co.uk/Rail-firm-spends-3-75m-Tarka-line-passengers/story-18609110-detail/story.html#axzz2PUDTQHCg

• RMweb Gold

Does that mean there's isn't any bullhead on the line anymore?

Oh no! There are still around 15 - 20 miles of bullhead track on the line, in my estimation (I could check, but I'd need to be at work).

There are also some lengths of bullhead 'CWR'.

• RMweb Gold

Nice to know there's still the prospect of "clickety-clack" for a while yet - even if it's not the best track to run a 143/144 on ;)

Better still, if I use bullhead on my North Devon layout, it could still run contemporary trains! :sarcastichand:

So, leaving aside the debate of what constitutes an upgrade to Joe Public. What is the tangible upgrade that the traveller is experiencing now that the work has been done? Am I currently receiving a faster service, a smoother ride, a more frequent service? A lot of our money has been spent. It is reasonable to expect a return as we (the general public) pay airline level fares to go by rail in order to service this investment.

• RMweb Gold

So, leaving aside the debate of what constitutes an upgrade to Joe Public. What is the tangible upgrade that the traveller is experiencing now that the work has been done? Am I currently receiving a faster service, a smoother ride, a more frequent service? A lot of our money has been spent. It is reasonable to expect a return as we (the general public) pay airline level fares to go by rail in order to service this investment.

You are certainly receiving a smoother ride, especially in Class 143 units. Further down the line is the possibility of journey time reductions. Additional services will depend on other parties, such as DfT/new franchise, local authority input etc. We didn't do as much renewal as we had planned, by a considerable factor, due to the November floods, but hopefully more will follow in due course. More CWR type track also makes lines like this cheaper to maintain in the longer term, which can also only be a good thing.

• RMweb Gold

I am unfamiliar with East Wivelshire, where you apparently dwell, so do you use the route in question? If so you would hopefully recognise that in 2013 this level of investment is very good news indeed, as the line hardly figures on NR's list of key routes, or the DfT's hot political favourites. Keeping such a line going at all is an expense NR could well do without, when capacity issues elsewhere on the network are pressing finances every day. How would renewals directly enable a more frequent service, pray? That requires investment in extra infrastructure and probably trains, which are already in short supply in the SW, a situation unconnected with NR.

Be grateful that Captain Kernow is prepared to champion such a route and drive his proposals forward in budgetary terms. He is certainly on the passengers' side. Your motivation is less obvious at this distance, frankly.

• RMweb Gold

Its great to see such investment in the line - a far cry from the days when it was under threat of closure. Here's hoping that further investment int he future can lead to journey time reductions, a more frequent service etc.

When I lived in West Wivelshire, we had an excellent train service. Most lines were electrified and there was good integration with other public transport, such as buses and, in the larger cities, trams.

However, in the East there was less electrification, with a dependency on diesel traction supplied largely by a neighbouring country. With possible unification of Wivelshire, the residents in the East might enjoy their new found freedom and embrace their rail network like we did in the West.

• 1 month later...

Archived