Hornby P2

Dick Turpin

Are we allowed to bring up the hoary chestnut of moulded handrails on Design Clever models?

Do a persuasive majority of people still want to message Hornby that any handrail over 2 ft on a full-spec model should be wired, not moulded?

That includes cab and tender side handrails for the P2

Especially given that the P2 will likely fall into the "trophy cabinet" category for most?

• RMweb Premium

Plastic handrails, someone on another site moaning about plastic buffers, as micklner states it is a mock up, let's not start berating Hornby before the model is even in pre prod.

• Like 1

Plastic handrails, someone on another site moaning about plastic buffers, as micklner states it is a mock up, let's not start berating Hornby before the model is even in pre prod.

People complained about the metal buffers also...very hard to satisfy people I must say!!!

Edited by Jeremiah Bunyan
  • Like 2

Even if it has everything perfect some people will still not be satisfied....

Of course they won't be satisfied, they will have nothing to moan about!

FACT IS.....Those type of people should opt for kits then.... They can add whatever they want and can only blame themselves if they don't like it. Unless they don't like the kit and what it is made off :jester:

No point in anyone disliking this because it's true.....! Only the smart ones will know what I'm saying is correct.

Edited by Jeremiah Bunyan

Where do Hornby say that it was a mock up?  According to one of the Hornby photo's it's the first tool - rather more advanced than some would suggest!

• RMweb Premium

First off the mould, well it looks pretty good and will hopefully do such a magnificent loco justice when in full production.

• 2 weeks later...

To me, this model looks a lot better than the Duke of Gloucester prototype. Far less exposed piping, which in the Duke's case does draw unfavourable comparison with the Hornby 'Britannia' and 'Clan'.

I agree that it is easy enough for most modellers of average skill to replace the buffers with sprung items, replace the smokebox dart etc. Any paintwork damaged in these areas is easily repaired, a quick airbrushing of red or black respectively. I disagree that moulded handrails anywhere on the body, cab or tender are an acceptable compromise, especially on an LNER fully lined apple green locomotive. It will be impossible to remove the mouldings without damaging the paint, and to get a decent finish, at least the whole side of the cab would need to be repainted and relined in what is probably the most complicated lining of a British railway company.

What I really don't understand is why Hornby didn't just decide to include hadrails in a seperate bag if this is an item that would take too much time to fit seperately at the factory? I believe (Please forgive me if I am wrong, I have never bought a locomotive from Vi Trains) Vi Trains have a detailing pack with their diesels that contains handrails for the modeller to fit in order to reduce the price point of the loco. It is so easy to fit handrails in a locomotive using a small drop of cyano from the opposite side of the hole, leaving a neat result. While I greatly enjoy kitbuilding, when I first started out painting was not the easiest part for me, and lining can still have me tearing my hair out as I aim to emulate Ian Rathbone's work, and fail to come close.

Edited by Btourer
  • Like 4

It was on Facebook, but I cna't find it now - the Perth P2 was shown without wheels, and OH Dear .... GWR-Tank Style SQUARE axle troughs again, doubtless as thin and suceptable to wear.

Great looking model, mechanically suspect it seems...

It was on Facebook, but I cna't find it now - the Perth P2 was shown without wheels, and OH Dear .... GWR-Tank Style SQUARE axle troughs again, doubtless as thin and suceptable to wear.

I am glad that such final decisions can be made from photos on a Facebook site. With this expert analysis we can make thousands of development and production engineers redundant, when any manufacturer designs any new product just put  a photo on facebook and all these self proclaimed experts can tell the manufacturer what is wrong with the design and what it's life expectancy is.

• RMweb Gold

Or, to look at it more positively - "Hornblock Ready" :rolleyes:  

• Like 2