New Mk1 coach

dibber25

A couple of pictures of a Hornby BR (SR) Mk1 2nd class coach with lights. One with the main hall lights on and one with them off.  I am very pleased with the coach. As you can see the interior I wonder who will be the first to put some passengers in or replace the interior with a Peco full colour Coach Interior complete with passengers, luggage racks and carriage prints.

Looks ridiculous. better to have none than that IMHO. 

There is an entry in http://www.mremag.com...ws/bulletin.asp by John Cherry which states that the prototype set 869 modelled by Hornby worked out of Hastings. This set would not have had the lion crest as has previously been mentioned here. Hattons have sold out of R4607, R4608 and 4609 and are expecting another supply in December. It looks like they have had a fresh supply of 4609A brake seconds. There seems to be a shortage of these coaches elsewhere. I ordered my R4607 BR Mk1 composite coach from Hattons on Monday, they sent it by Royal Mail on Tuesday, it arrived when I was out on Thursday and I collected it from my sorting office at 07:00 this morning.

I decided to bite the bullet and take a coach apart.

post-2484-0-49363600-1416559876_thumb.jpg

The chosen victim was a corridor composite. I was able to slide a piece of this card down each side and gently pull out to expose a clip on each side. I wrongly assumed there was one of the same at each corner. The sides seemed firmly in place. The next incorrect assumption was that the sides had been superglued to prevent the body being removed and wired pulled out. How wrong I was......

A thin knife was slid towards the end and the side gently eased (I am in the ham fisted club by the way) Three corners came away easily, the fourth required a little more attention.

With that done I was able to lift the body away from the ubderframe. The two wired from the bogie were soldered, so I snipped them to allow easy access.

One apart it became clear that the end fixings were actually in the floor and I'd snapped the fixings, not to worry as I will be fixing together with drilled and tapped holes for 2/56 screws.

These are the central tabs:

post-2484-0-66412900-1416560394_thumb.jpg

These holes are where the end tabs locate:

post-2484-0-32752200-1416560413_thumb.jpg

This is what remains of the end tabs (They still act as locators)

post-2484-0-91852000-1416560429_thumb.jpg

One apart the reason for the odd lighting effect is apparent. LEDS do not match the compartments.......

A fix might be to split the board, have three LEDS over the 1sts, then the 5 others over the 3rds. The end 3 LEDS will go over the compartments, not evenly though, but still, one per compartment. The thirds are another matter, 5 LEDS for 4 compartments. Some juggling will be required.

LEDS over the 1sts - Note : I've moved the light bar along to light all 3 compartments)

post-2484-0-41889100-1416560459_thumb.jpg

LEDS over the 3rds

post-2484-0-88490700-1416560474_thumb.jpg

I think a solution is achievable. The fact that the lights don't line up with the compartments is a shame. For me it's OK as I've got pick ups and the capacitor gives flicker free lighting.

I'd give these coaches a big 8 out of 10

The Bigbee Line.  Thank you for showing us how to dismantle a coach.  I had a look at the BSK coach on the Swanage Railway this morning but I was unable to get in as it was not by the platform.  For the benefit of people who want  to paint the interior the seats are blue moquette and the luggage and guard's compartments are maroon up to just below the window level and then cream above. I have used 1/87 scale passengers in the past as 1/76 scale passengers are too big to fit in the seats.

Should they have passengers? Otherwise surely the Swanage line wouldn't have closed :jester:

I think it depends on the time of day.  In the peaks there would have been more passengers.  Another factor is that trains often filled as they approached the capital.

The subject of passenger numbers warrants a topic of its own. 

I shall be adding just a few.

• RMweb Premium

I picked up two identical brake ends and a composite in green from the Warley show. Liking the shade of green used and it will allow me the opportunity to retire one of my Bachmann rakes which are suffering from strange clouding to the glazing.

At the moment they have been renumbering to the correct numbers for set 550 but I am fairly certain I will need to lose the crests somehow.

A picture or two may follow later.

• 4 weeks later...

Surely that blue upholstery is later than the coach in the 60's period, IIRC it is from the blue/grey era.  Would they not have had 'Trojan', the grey with red and yellow bits?

I would have thought so, yes.  Along with the double-arrow mirror, that would have been in the refurb to Corporate Image finishes, post-66.

The coach in the photos is a 1960s later-build Mk1 with aluminium window frames and plastic laminate panelling in the compartments and corridor. The coach as modelled by Hornby is a 1950s build which would have had wood interior panelling (and no window frames). The brake van cage is missing too, both in the photo and the Hornby model!

My trio of Railroad Maroon BGs landed today and I reckon the model is surely one of the most understated successes of the recent Hornby release schedule.  

The subtle shapes of the prototype are well captured, the livery is rendered extremely well, there's sufficient relief to the detail and Hornby has struck a fantastic balance with what it has incorporated in the base model.  Like Andy, I'd welcome a corporate image version in due course.  Is it too much to hope that the RR range is produced in toy shop quantities, such that these will become staple items that we can just pop into our local stockist and buy, months after their release....

The only things I see myself doing is putting steel boots on them and renumbering.  Can't get over-fussed with the end steps; as I model Transition era, I'm prepared to live with them.  Someone's bound to tell me the periscopes are under-nourished: so be it.

Thank you Hornby, to 'Chard's rheumy eyes, you've delivered a winner here, and on this showing I really hope you make this the sort of behaviour we can come to rely on.  As many of us did thirty, forty and more years ago.  

I wish I'd seen the dismantling question  because I took apart a new Railroad Mk1 without breaking it. You just move the clear clips at each corner underneath with a small screwdriver and run your nail under the bottom of the sides  for the middle clips.

I like these coaches a lot.

• RMweb Gold

I like these coaches a lot.

So do I.

Unfortunately for Hornby, I acquired all the Mark 1s I am ever likely to need in blue boxes long before they got round to making them.

That said, they have done very nicely out of me with Maunsells, Hawksworths, Pullmans and lots of NPCCS.

John

I had a maroon BSK and SK as part of Christmas. Got to say, my heart sank initially, but with a bit of work they scrub up extremely well. Removed the roof ribbs, I thought of removing the pipe runs, to replace with wire ultimately didn't bother. Just sprayed the roof with Matt 67and added additional decals I wouldn't hesitate in using further Hornby mk1s as a starting point.

Surely that blue upholstery is later than the coach in the 60's period, IIRC it is from the blue/grey era.  Would they not have had 'Trojan', the grey with red and yellow bits?

The interior dates from the mid-80s facelifts at York for NSE (initially Northampton 'cobbler' services, then cascaded elsewhere when the 321s entered service on the WCML).

• 1 month later...

So do I.

Unfortunately for Hornby, I acquired all the Mark 1s I am ever likely to need in blue boxes long before they got round to making them.

That said, they have done very nicely out of me with Maunsells, Hawksworths, Pullmans and lots of NPCCS.

John

They are finer than the Bachmann examples. Ridiculous choice of 2015 models ie express parcels BG when a normal BG would have suited the MK2es?
A graffiti maroon with modern tagging? Simon Kohler suggested it could be "put in a siding". I said that it could have been painted blue and grey!!! ps where are the crimson cream BSKs? grumble grumble :beee:

post-24598-0-99338000-1424889790_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

They are finer than the Bachmann examples.

{

That's as maybe but I feel no urge to replace my couple of dozen Bachmann ones, most which have had a bit of extra work done. 

Also, Bachmann make several more types that I require and Hornby don't make. 

John

Archived