Millers Dale in the 80s - BR Peak Line in N

RBE

Cheers Marcus. Its mate is still waiting for its red stripe railfreight livery! For other loco classes Im thinking class 03 or a 14 in private owner for the yard, class 20s, 31, 56 and/or 58 and classes 108 and 150 for the dmu traffic.

Hmmm, are you the same as me, I have been contemplating a 14 for my layout in the loft as a shunter in the quarry. They are lovely models in both N and OO.

Also, although it its a little bit later than your period, do you remember the top and tail 20's to Matlock in 1990 due to the DMU shortages. Now that would make an interesting train. Sure they would have strayed to Millers Dale had the line still been open!!

Marcus

Hi Cav,

I think there were some class 20s renumbered 20/3s for a short time, not sure what year though. Another Peak would be nice too 45012 was about until quite late, I have a nice pic of 012 parked up at Buxton shed in a book somewhere.

Cheers Peter.

A 150 in provincial is very likely if I can get hold of one. I remember them well at derby and chesterfield. I may well get another peak at some time also but as a stock percentage I would say that they would be quite rare in 1988 compared to say the 47s and 37s. Does anyonr know if farish are planning the new 31 in refurbed guise? The two in MR this month are both unrefurbed examples.

Made a start on the point for the east board. This will be the only point on this side of the viaducts save for the catch point. Managed to get this far in about an hour all in so progressing well for my first 2mm point.

post-6894-0-88363700-1384091382_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-56230600-1384091431_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-95630200-1384091449_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Im going off the template as a rough guide. I prefer to get both stock rails in first which is how I built my 4mm pointwork previously. By setting the gauge at the crossover and at the switch the rest kinda takes care of itself as long as its there abouts.

Cheers! Well its kinda 2mm finescale. Its finescale bits but Im keeping it to N standards so that I avoid wheelset changes and I can also use peco track in the fiddle yard.

Hi Cav,

Sounds interesting. May look into doing something similar as I am planning on using peco code 55 for Dallam but not decided what to do regards pointwork.

Cheers

Simon

I would do as I am and use the 2mm concrete for the plain track on the scenic side with handbuilt points. Much much nicer than code 55.Dallam looks good though. Now following!

Edited by RBE

I would do as I am and use the 2mm concrete for the plain track on the scenic side with handbuilt points. Much much nicer than code 55.Dallam looks good though. Now following!

Hi Cav,

Thanks regards Dallam. Just another question regards your point build, is that code 40 rail you have used?

Cheers

Simon

Ok so point finished except for insulating the sleepers which I will do with a small grinding tip in the dremel to lightly shave away the copper. I hate to see single cuts through the sleeper and feel the grinder gives a better appearance once painted. I dont think the N gauge standards looks too bad, Im sure the 2mm chaps would disagree but what I gain with it is worth the slightly wider flangeways to me which once the point is painted should look much better in any case. So heres where its at!

post-6894-0-83508200-1384211793_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-00080300-1384211809_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-45657000-1384211843_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-61126700-1384211860_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Thanks George and John, I wont be adding chairs to the point. Being a flat bottom point it would have pandrol type clips which I cant replicate really so I think will look better without.

Edited by RBE

• RMweb Premium

Very tidy piece of work there Cav. Of course you could compromise and bring your flange clearances down a tad by squeezing the gauge in 0.5mm or so in the frog area. Helps the appearance and the running but standard N gauge wheel sets will work fine.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks George and John, I wont be adding chairs to the point. Being a flat bottom point it would have pandrol type clips which I cant replicate really so I think will look better without.

Don't blame you, I reckon in this scale you are far more likely to notice if they are done badly than not done at all.

John

• Like 1