Millers Dale in the 80s - BR Peak Line in N

RBE

cheers guys. Well as for colours its now in a very rusty grey colour. I can only assume it was grey before. I think I will do it grey and add weathering and rust to the corners. BR may well have given it a really good spruce once kept on but then again I have seen some proper neglected used rail bridges. I think the grey will contrast nicely with th surrounding green tbh so will probably plump for that.

Cav

Cheers Dave. Bit more done but still not finished. I will crack on. Just had a minute off to give you a further sense of scale. I can get a 47 and 7 PCAs on there!

attachicon.gif20130829_221653.jpg

Yes - very good work as far as my knowledge of Steelwork goes - have I missed the image of the prototype?

How many PCA you going to run in total Cav? - luckily with Speedlink and Enterprise the rakes are interestingly mixed and easier on the bank account  :imsohappy:

BTW: I have behaved -  been a good boy and used monies for my fiftieth :O  for the main Traction for the latest attempt (FO2 - Oil)  - you might be impressed.

Ian

Edited by Crisis Rail

Hi Ian, that steelwork looks pretty good. Heres a picture showing the two viaducts at millers dale. I believe taken around 1968 after the station was closed.

post-6894-0-32777600-1377966361.jpg

This was a bit further back when the station was still operational.

post-6894-0-38293400-1377966441.jpg

The bridge I have built so far is the back one which will be the main through lines in my reimagining.

Cav

Edited by RBE
  • Like 5

Excellent - still a long way to go - it would give me sleepless nights!

Credit to the original Victorian engineers and human endeavour in 1:1 scale never mind 2mm to the foot - very humbling that should never be forgotten.

All that construction hardship craftsmanship and pain for short-sighted throwaway closure.

Maybe when this layout is exhibited a historical tribute of sorts could do with a mention as hopefully the model will be equally as breathtaking. 

Excellent.

"Hi Ian, that steelwork looks pretty good"    

This comment surely has to be tongue in cheek Cavan? :)

Ian
Edited by Crisis Rail

Yes Ian I intend to do a little blurb giving background to the line and the thoughts behind the what if nature of the layout. I will certainly make a note of celebration to the chaps that worked and toiled to cut a frankly breathtaking line though the heart of the peak district. That alone gave the line reason to stay open but obviously the people in power who probably never even saw the line saw things through accountants eyes.

The comment was a little tongue in cheek Ian but it does look the part and the layout (seeing it for the first time today) is really coming on well. I am following with interest!

Cav

Hi Cav, from the arial view I can see why you would want to model that Viaduct and Station, simply stunning scenery mate, your structure so far looks really good, I am watching with a great deal of interest but I still cant get my head around the fact that its N Gauge and with your name on it. hahaaa

All the best.

Andy

I never had the chance to use the line as I wasnt born until after its closure. Would certainly have liked the chance though.

The layout has progressed slowly but time has been a major issue against me over the past year. Im planning on a big push now though touch wood. Once I get the other bridge deck completed I can start on the stonework and track laying.

• Like 1

Hi Cav, from the arial view I can see why you would want to model that Viaduct and Station, simply stunning scenery mate, your structure so far looks really good, I am watching with a great deal of interest but I still cant get my head around the fact that its N Gauge and with your name on it. hahaaa

All the best.

Andy

Glad to have your interest Andy. N gauge isnt too new an adventure for me. Back in my last railway modelling stint in the early 90s I build several layouts in N gauge. Just getting back to my roots I guess!

Cav

• Like 1

Had a little parcel delivered today. The etches for the viaducts. Not bad at all even if I do say so. There are both types of balustrade and some etches to fold up to make the curved steels that support the edge of the 'box' frame viaduct. Added a 50p to show scale. Im not as flush as Ian. Just had a little go at bending one of the balustrades and even though half etched its very difficult due to the fineness of the metal and the narrowness of the part Im trying to bend. I know I need a hold and fold but I know Im not buying one so alternative ideas on a postcard please!

post-6894-0-31903600-1378240236_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-84058500-1378240288_thumb.jpg

Edited by RBE
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

A wide nosed pair of pillars and a stiff bit of metal should work for you instead of your hold and fold. Lovely looking etch, lots of folding however.  

Cheers Kris Ill see what I can dig out of my toolbox. I should be ok with the small ones that you can see (done like that as the real ones are like that but wishing Id compromised and done full lengths like the other one) as I can pop them between two bits of metal in my mini vice but the long 180mm ones are a bit long I think to do that.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Cav

Depending on where the folds are, it may be better to complete some folds while the components are still on the fret, especially if you have a row of small tabs to fold up.

For small N gauge bits I tend to use a cutting mat or piece of hardboard as the "base", a steel rule held firmly along the fold line, then fold up each tab or small part with the tip of a scalpel.

cheers

Ben A.

Tabs fold really easily. Ive tried the support pieces and they fold fine. Its the full length folds that are the issue. Clamping down to a cutting mat may well be a way to do it. Ive just managed to fold one with some tweezers but its not the smoothest fold Ive ever done so will pursue your suggestions.

Heres the result with tweezers. Not bad. Just balanced on the bridge to get an idea. It will be glued with its metal leg flush on the trackside with the plastic upstand making the balustrade slightly further out than it is here.

post-6894-0-62656900-1378244450_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Very nice Cav, just catching up on your thread and what a superb job you have done on the viaducts. Whilst the Railfreight 47 and the Construction 37 do look good, I am really looking forward to seeing a Construction 60 on RMC hoppers passing over them!

Excellent work as always.