Millers Dale in the 80s - BR Peak Line in N

RBE

Thanks chaps. The etches do match the prototype well. Looking forward to getting them on the bridge and primed up. Things are starting to move now which is satisfying after the steady start.

As for the 60 Alex Im not sure about that yet. Its at least 2 years later than the 1988 date I have on there at present. Unless I do a set of stock covering a few years going into the 90s Im not sure I can shoehorn one in!

A bit of research shows that 60001 wasnt accepted into traffic until august 1991. It was on test at old dalby and at a few locations from 89 though as you said. They may well have used the tough inclines of the derby buxton route had it been available! Still 1989 is a year after 45110 was killed!!

If I remember correctly 60001 and 60002 ventured up to Scotland with some Redland PGAs, you could always have them conducting some tests with a test coach. Quite a few of the class didn’t enter service until a good few months and in some cases years after leaving the production line!

I have been thinking the same about having stock to cover two different periods. One to cover 1985 to 1989 and the other 1990 to 1992. The former to allow some Peak action and the latter for then end of the 20s and introduction of the 60s.

Was 45110 the one with the orange cantrail stripe?

Having read the last couple of posts it got me to looking at some of my photo's. I have a picture from 1994 with 37512 in Railfreight metals livery and a picture from 2011 with 66152 in DBS livery. Both are taken in the RMC sidings at Peak Forest. what is immediately obvious that apart from the locomotives the surroundings haven't changed one bit. I think with the whole area being pretty timeless you could possibly change the eras quite easily, right up until the present day. Only trouble is the expense of all that extra rolling stock!

Yes thats the issue. Its hard enough to afford the stock you need for one era never mind two!

Anyway a bit more done to the viaduct tonight. Etches bent up and added. Just need to add the curved supports to this one then its on to the next viaduct. Looking forward to getting some paint on this one too.

post-6894-0-76288800-1378334744_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Well its a nice bit of incentive to get cracking Mickey. I will do my best to be done by then. If Im honest it shouldnt be too much of a big ask really!! Ponty is a great show and it would be nice to return.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok bit of an update. Got the etches on the first bridge done and primer on. Still not sure what colour to go with on this. I may just weather the primer. On the other hand Im thinking I may dust it all over with a lighter grey prior to weathering to give it variation and depth. As the real bridge is pretty much rust these days its hard to tell however it appears that it was grey before it went to ruin. Comments of course welcome.

post-6894-0-02394800-1379261067_thumb.jpg

Ive also made a start on the other bridge. Namely forming The curved beams. In order to curve the beams in the plane of the steel web I made a jig from nails and an old chopping board. Carefully bending the plastic profile to sit in between the nails it was secured with staples and popped in the oven at 120 degrees for 10mins. What I got out was a perfectly curved beam excellent! 14 more to go!

post-6894-0-69212400-1379261477_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Cav, I wondered what you have been up to, great stuff on the Viaduct.

Now thinking colour, :O  think, :no:  :no:  you are running this in the 80's so forget the 50's colour that it may have been :nono: , what colour are other similar bridges in the 80's :O

Andy :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Hi Cav,

For the girder bridge on our club layout, I wanted it really rusty.  I sprayed it red primer (oxide) then when it was dry I dampened it very slightly before sprinkling on salt.  I then sprayed with grey primer, rubbed off the salt to leave "rust" patches, then used weathering powders to represent rust streaking down.  However, you may not be wanting to go for such a decrepit look.

It's not great but this is the best photo I could find.  The bridge I am talking about is in the background.

post-420-0-08472900-1379265529_thumb.jpg

cheers

Ben A.

The bridge was indeed the usual mid grey that was applied in the 1950s and 60s to steel structures. But the railings were darker and it is difficult to make out whether they were 'tar' black of maybe LMS brown. A colour photo I have in mind appears in 'London Midland Steam in Colour' by Hugh Ballantine (Janes Publishing 1984).

I think Andrew P has a point concerning colours during the period of your layout, but going off Millers Dale as it was up to closure might be a safer bet..

Edited by coachmann

Cav

It does surprise me that you have not put the cross bracing in the diagonal trusses' it does look very good though. :mail: :paint:

Yes - it looks excellent - agreed - But it does surprise me that you are critical of what is an extremely ambitious project in 2mill never mind 00......

Cheers! I think the grey plan is the way to go with colour. I remember many many steel structures in grey in the 80s. Its interesting to hear the balustrades were a different colour though. However having looked back at the photos from when I went up there last, they are browner. I took it as rust but they certainly look browner than the rest of the structure. As for Petes comments Im sure they were tongue in cheek. I dont think the cross bracing is that noticable at this scale and it was/is only on the centre couple of diagonals anyway. There are far more without them so doesnt look odd.

Cav

Edited by RBE