Millers Dale in the 80s - BR Peak Line in N

RBE

Excellent link there. Yellow seems popular for Private owners however Im fancying something more original. Lomas seems to be rather synonomous with the buxton area and the Lomas Distribution company does a lot in the area. The trucks they operate have a white and blue livery with the lomas distribution logo which I think might look pretty smart on an 03 or 04. The company was formed in 1994 but there was mention of a lomas operating out of millers dale station way back when the lines were bringing freight and livestock into the area. So in my alternate reality due to the continued supply of agricultural wares, be it food, grain or fuel I can easily assume that Lomas distribution would have maybe formed earlier to support the needs in the area and the purchase of the yard for private owner use taken up in the mid 80s. Should also be a nice link to the area as seen today and help to cement the location!

Mentioning "cement the location",  there was also the rail-connected quarry and lime works just west of the station, on the north side of the line and another east of the viaducts on the south side of the line, until recent times. I am not sure when they closed, but it could not have been long before the railway was shut.

Yes I saw those on some old photos. The lime kiln ruins are still up there. I will be modelling them closed however and the ones on the north west side will be omitted altogether with a little modellers licence as I dont have room to model it all and instead a tunnel mouth will be just west of the station.

• RMweb Gold

Excellent link there. Yellow seems popular for Private owners however Im fancying something more original. Lomas seems to be rather synonomous with the buxton area and the Lomas Distribution company does a lot in the area. The trucks they operate have a white and blue livery with the lomas distribution logo which I think might look pretty smart on an 03 or 04. The company was formed in 1994 but there was mention of a lomas operating out of millers dale station way back when the lines were bringing freight and livestock into the area. So in my alternate reality due to the continued supply of agricultural wares, be it food, grain or fuel I can easily assume that Lomas distribution would have maybe formed earlier to support the needs in the area and the purchase of the yard for private owner use taken up in the mid 80s. Should also be a nice link to the area as seen today and help to cement the location!

Hi Cav, I don't know if it's the same family or not, but the coal merchants at Bakewell were Lomas as well.

Al

Anyone interested in localised surnames - have a look at http://gbnames.publicprofiler.org/

It gives surname distribution by postcode area for 1881 and 1998.

The highest concentration of Lomas is in the SK Stockport area in both eras, and top postal town for Lomas is High Peak.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the thumbs up. I too like the 47 Alex but Im still thinking I need to do the front handrails as I did on 459. I left these as it was a repaint from 535 in large logo so didnt have to paint the ends. 459 Was the reverse where it was standard blue which I made into large logo. If I do the handrails on 190 I need to match the Bachmann shade of yellow to patch paint the handrail areas which neither railmatch or pheonix warning yellows do. Anyone know a matching shade off the top of their head? It is clearly more orange as can be seen on the other two locos both done in railmatch.

Hi Cav,

Love that Peak, it's come up really well what a beast. The 37 and 47 look superb too. The only thing that gives them away as being N gauge are the coupling boxes on the class 37, as they look bigger than on the class 47.

I really must get a railfreight grey class 47 for Llanbourne.

Cheers Peter.

I must admit the 45 is my fav. Its come out really well. Certainly worth the work involved. Itll be a cracker on the Nottingham to manchester loco hauled service! A railfreight grey 47 would be great on llanbourne.

• RMweb Gold

I must admit the 45 is my fav. Its come out really well. Certainly worth the work involved. Itll be a cracker on the Nottingham to manchester loco hauled service! A railfreight grey 47 would be great on llanbourne.

Totally agree, it looks great. Wish I could get away with blue Peaks on Bakewell, but I don't think it fits the timescale, just. Plenty of green ones, though!

Al

Hi Cav 

Posted this on Al's Bakewell thread as well but it proves that at least one rail blue peak must have worked through Bakewell and obviously the rest of the line.

Unfortunately its not dated but must be towards the end of the line.

Go to the last photo in the gallery for the tunnel:

http://www.forgottenrelics.co.uk/tunnels/gallery/haddon.html

Marcus

Hi Cav, whilst the stock is not ideal for your layout I thought you might quite like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/5960733608/

She would look nice on those wagons passing over your viaduct!

Hopefully Bachmann will do an Original Railfreight 47 next year Peter! I am hoping they will......

I indeed have a rake of 15 metalair cement tanks which will form a train out of and back into peak forest. I will certainly add those to the 45s roster.